Prop Anti-Ice ?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Prop Anti-Ice ?

Post by Avio »

I am back !! To flying A2A !

Been flying the Comanche on and off, and saw that the prop has got anti-ice built in. But where is the switch for that? Or is there one?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Prop Anti-Ice ?

Post by AKar »

Where was that noted? I don't think remembering any mentions about Comanche having prop anti-ice.

-Esa

zazaboeing
Senior Airman

Post by zazaboeing »

Avio wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 09:46 I am back !! To flying A2A !

Been flying the Comanche on and off, and saw that the prop has got anti-ice built in. But where is the switch for that? Or is there one?
Maybe you're referring to the Bonanza, and I believe Scot told that was not modeled because the aircraft tested didn't have it working, not sure though.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

I am refering to one of the Comanche prop model, that visually shows that there is anti ice strips along the prop edges.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Avio,

Are you looking at the natural composite MT prop? If so, it has black polyurethane erosion strips on the inboard part of each leading edge which look a bit like deicing boots, but it's basically self-adhesive tape. The outboard leading edges are protected by metallic strips.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Thanks Nick. Surprised to learn there is tapes on the prop. How do these help actually?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

The MT Propeller blades are made of slats of wood (specifically spruce, I think remembering) glued together and covered by painted fiberglass surface. This is arguably not as impact-resistant as classic aluminum blades, hence it is protected by these 'erosion strips', made of stainless steel over the outer portion, and of this polyurethane tape over the inner portion.

In some installations there can be deicing boots instead of this PU strip over the inner portion of the blade, but the Comanche, like most light singles, lacks provisions for prop deicing system. Hence, no deicing boots are found on the prop.

-Esa

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Thanks folks. So that explains it.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”