Mike Busch & Saavy Aviation

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
[email protected]
Airman First Class

Mike Busch & Saavy Aviation

Post by [email protected] »

Are the simulation gurus at A2A familiar with teachings of Mike Busch's books & his Saavy Aviation channel on YouTube?
Would I be able to follow his teachings concerning oversquared engine operation and mixture leaning in the simulated A2A Comanche?
I haven't tried it yet but would like to know in order to prevent problems and frustration during my MAP, prop and leaning learning process. :D
Thanks,
Mike

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Mike Busch & Saavy Aviation

Post by AKar »

No problems whatsoever in applying all that. Some of that stuff is actually simulated as far as I can tell. ;)

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

[email protected] wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 10:38 Are the simulation gurus at A2A familiar with teachings of Mike Busch's books & his Saavy Aviation channel on YouTube?
Would I be able to follow his teachings concerning oversquared engine operation and mixture leaning in the simulated A2A Comanche?
I haven't tried it yet but would like to know in order to prevent problems and frustration during my MAP, prop and leaning learning process. :D
Thanks,
Mike
I've spoken with Mike several times about our simulations in the past. I very much like his trail blazing attitude. He questions everything and bucks false trends. He and I are also big proponents of Camguard.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman First Class

Excellent! You guys are the best!
Thank you,
Mike

[email protected]
Airman First Class

I appreciate the reply from the Big Cheese! Hope maybe I can get another one.

I am looking at the table on page 69 of the A2A Comanche manual: Lycoming Model O-540-A
I assume this table came directly from the manual without taking into account Mike Busch's teachings.

It would be very helpful if you could expand on the procedures in the A2A Comanche manual to manage all of the variables involved with Throttle, Mixture, Prop and Temperatures. How would I manage the throttle mixture and prop without a Lycoming chart? My oversimpified understanding so far is that I would run with throttle full open for max air flow with mixture leaned according to CHT, then pull the prop back to maximize airspeed and reduce RPM's for best cruise. But when you are doing your flight planning and need to calculate your true airspeed and anticipated MAP, what is the process? Are there additional charts in the Comanche manual for airspeeds and MAPS and RPM's that you haven't included in the A2A Manual?

I realize these questions are too complex to answer here but maybe you can refer me to a good source. I have only watched Mike Busch's Youtube videos so far. I haven't read his books yet. Would Engines be the best one to start with? Do I have to be an engineer to understand it? Are there any other good sources of instructional material for flying a complex airplane that you would recommend, either books or Youtube? Maybe consider doing some instructional video's of your own?

Thanks for your help and the great work,
Mike

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

[email protected] wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 10:10 I appreciate the reply from the Big Cheese! Hope maybe I can get another one.

Here you go, from the "Big Cheese". 8)

I wouldn't over think it. It's basically the same for most airplanes except those with certain RPM bands to avoid due to vibrations. The Comanche with the McCaulley or MT prop doesn't have any of those.

Primarily you can run the Comanche Lycoming 540 at full power as long as you want, provided CHT temps are not too high. But nobody does that, it's too loud and wastes too much gas, as well as wears the engine out faster.

On warm days, you can run 1800RPM at 25" max, 1900 at 26" max and at 2400RPM can run full throttle. So let's just run through a takeoff.

Full mixture and prop, then full throttle. After takeoff and a positive climb is established raise the gear and flaps (if you had them deployed), pull power back to 23" then pull the prop back to 2400RPM (MP will rise a tad). Then tune 24" and 2400RPM for max climb. If you are like me, once you get to about 140mph pull back the RPM to 1900 RPM watching the manifold pressure to make sure it doesn't exceed 25". In cold weather I reduce my max MP but 1" because the engine is making more horsepower, so I use 24" max at 1800RPM, 25" max at 1900RPM, etc.

The main thing is just don't apply too much power at a lower RPM. If you are full up on mixture and prop, you can like I said run at full throttle all day as long as CHT temps aren't too high.

When in a climb I do pull back the mixture as much as I can to avoid a CHT > 380. And let the max CHT be my limit to how much I lean. Once at your desired cruise I just lean by ear. Pull the mixture back until the engine starts to sputter, then push it in until it is smooth then a "tad" more.

I'm not sure if the above answers your question, but if not ask away. But keep in mind, this is just how I run the Comanche and not necessarily how everyone does or even should. Everyone has their own style, but the limitations I use are mostly by the book in terms of max CHT and max MP at any given RPM.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

[email protected] wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 10:10 I have only watched Mike Busch's Youtube videos so far. I haven't read his books yet. Would Engines be the best one to start with? Do I have to be an engineer to understand it?
I've somewhat recently read that book of his, and I can highly recommend it. I'd say it is the best book available on the subject, or at least the very best one I am aware of. And it is written for very non-technical audience, so no, you don't have to be an engineer to understand it. Although you are expected to have some basic idea of the piston-engined airplanes.

However, don't expect to find fully prepared procedures ready to be printed out and laminated - that's not the idea behind this book. Instead, it kind of attempts to go behind the stuff, and advocate using the brains in order to operate the engines sensibly and to diagnose any issues. The book is heavily based on the use of engine monitors, and in fact, the access to mountains of engine monitor data from myriad airplanes is what kind of makes his folks unique as a source of information.

Granted, the writing style tends to push the points here and there, but I'm okay with that in this case. I'd recommend just some real-world experience with general aviation airplanes to have your own foot planted in order to reflect his words against where you are standing. Which, depending, can be somewhat a different world. Also, the book considers Continental fuel-injected engines rather more than the others out there, but technical details aside, most of the stuff is applicable to most other engines with little or no alterations.

But it is best to not overthink it, as Scott said. These are on purpose very simple machines in technical sense, and while any details can get very complicated when you look close enough, most often it makes the most sense to keep looking at the big picture instead.

-Esa

[email protected]
Airman First Class

Thank you Scott and AKar. I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Mike

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”