Questions about take off

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
JanF
Airman First Class

Questions about take off

Post by JanF »

In the manual I read that to apply slight back pressure to raise the nose wheel. But I seem unable to raise the nose wheel.
Also it is stated that the Comanche will leave the ground at around 65 MPH. For me significantly higher speed is required. And that makes sense since it is also stated that stall speed in normal configuration is 71 MPH. I might point out that I have the plane loaded to near maximum and I take of without any flaps applied

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Questions about take off

Post by ratty »

You should carefully experiment with the elevator trim setting. For example, if the aircraft is already trimmed for a climb it will need little back pressure to lift off the ground.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

JanF wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 14:44 In the manual I read that to apply slight back pressure to raise the nose wheel. But I seem unable to raise the nose wheel.
Also it is stated that the Comanche will leave the ground at around 65 MPH. For me significantly higher speed is required. And that makes sense since it is also stated that stall speed in normal configuration is 71 MPH. I might point out that I have the plane loaded to near maximum and I take of without any flaps applied
The "thing" to remember about takeoffs is that each one is directly related to gross weight, density altitude.......etc. The main point I'm making here is that you don't want to get mired down in exact numbers such as rotate here........etc. Your numbers will vary.
As you load up an airplane you change its weight and it's cg. Just make sure you have enough runway for every takeoff then let the airplane tell you when it's ready to fly.
Remember............lift HAS to equal weight before the plane will fly, and for that to happen ALL the above factors and others will be in play.
......................and THIS is why we do a weight and balance and carry a Koch Chart in our back pocket when we start loading up our airplanes. :-)
Dudley Henriques

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Try this, elevator trim 2 lines BACK (towards rear of aircraft) from center line. (if you don't know, elevator trim handle is above your head between the seats)

Just a guess.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

TBryson2 wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 19:37 Try this, elevator trim 2 lines BACK (towards rear of aircraft) from center line. (if you don't know, elevator trim handle is above your head between the seats)

Just a guess.

TB2
That made the take off more difficult even though it seemed possible to raise the nose wheel. I think I was close to 80 MPH before the plane safely climbed into the air

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 18:29
JanF wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 14:44 In the manual I read that to apply slight back pressure to raise the nose wheel. But I seem unable to raise the nose wheel.
The "thing" to remember about takeoffs is that each one is directly related to gross weight, density altitude.......etc. The main point I'm making here is that you don't want to get mired down in exact numbers such as rotate here........etc. Your numbers will vary.
As you load up an airplane you change its weight and it's cg. Just make sure you have enough runway for every takeoff then let the airplane tell you when it's ready to fly.
Remember............lift HAS to equal weight before the plane will fly, and for that to happen ALL the above factors and others will be in play.
......................and THIS is why we do a weight and balance and carry a Koch Chart in our back pocket when we start loading up our airplanes. :-)
Dudley Henriques
One thing I forgot to mention was that the temperature was close 30 C. And higher temperature means less dense air and more difficult accomplish lift. Does the A2A planes simulate this ?

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

YES!!!!!!!!!
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”