VR capabilities?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Dpkeith
Airman

VR capabilities?

Post by Dpkeith »

Is FSX VR capable? I have the oculus 2 and would like to set this up. I’m planning on using a Red Bird yoke, rudder pedals and throttle quadrant. Anyone using VR that can provide recommendations?

Thanks
DP

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: VR capabilities?

Post by Skycat »

FSX does not have native VR support, mostly because of the age of the sim and no significant official development after 2010. However, you can fly it in VR with a third-party program called FlyInside For FSX. Here is the link: https://flyinside-fsx.com/

FlyInside works pretty well considering it is a conversion program (it works better for me than VorpX) but it is a bit clunky to set up and navigate. It also automatically reduces the resolution of the FSX environment. With that said, when I first got my Oculus Rift S I had a blast flying the helicopter challenges in VR.

Prepare3Dv5 is a much better solution since it comes with VR support built in. It's easier to toggle between monitor and VR than with FlyInside; the VR resolution and details are better in P3D; and interaction with the cockpit is more refined. Evaluate the cost of FlyInside vs. P3D Academic.

The new MSFS beats both as a VR experience though. Even if you only get the cheapest version of MSFS, you'll still have more features 'out of the box' (live weather, live traffic, satellite terrain, photogrammic cities) than you get with P3D at the same initial cost. However, P3D is arguably the better simulator for now -- if you invest in high end addons like A2A Accu-Sim aircraft, live weather programs and improved terrain.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Dpkeith
Airman

Post by Dpkeith »

Ok I’ll look at P3D. Whatever allows me to fly the Comanche. Hopefully accu-sim has some good news soon for the Comanche/MSFS.

Thanks
DP

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes you can use the flyinside addon for FSX that added great VR support, dare I say it superior to the P3D VR support which tends to be somewhat spotty for the home user. Flyinside was a brilliant consumer product, great menu's, easy to use and thanks to FSX performance worked really well as a VR sim.

MSFS VR is pretty much the only way I fly but its super heavy and I know I lean heavily on my higher end system to be able to enjoy it in VR.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'll add that my T-6 Texan in FSX didn't work well with FlyInside, but my P3Dv5 version of the Texan works perfectly in P3D VR. I agree that FlyInside is a great VR solution, and it might be the best option for somebody that already has their favorite aircraft running in FSX.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Dpkeith
Airman

Post by Dpkeith »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 06:43 Yes you can use the flyinside addon for FSX that added great VR support, dare I say it superior to the P3D VR support which tends to be somewhat spotty for the home user. Flyinside was a brilliant consumer product, great menu's, easy to use and thanks to FSX performance worked really well as a VR sim.

MSFS VR is pretty much the only way I fly but its super heavy and I know I lean heavily on my higher end system to be able to enjoy it in VR.

thanks,
Lewis
Ok, just confirming that the Comanche can be used in both flyinside and P3D?

When you say heavy, are you referring to the capabilities of your computer? What system specs would you recommend to run MSFS VR smoothly?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Not speaking for Lewis...

1. The FSX version of the Comanche should work with FlyInside. All of my A2A aircraft except the AT-6 Texan did (I do not have the FSX version of the Comanche). FlyInside downloads as a trial version with timed usage. If you like it you just buy a license through the software to unlock full functionality.

2. The FSX version of the Comanche is not supported in P3D. There is a P3D version of the Comanche.

3. P3D has some advantages over FSX, for example cockpit shadowing and rain on the windscreen. The native VR support in P3D allows more graphical detail than using FlyInside in FSX. (FlyInside automatically lowers screen resolution.) However, more detail comes at a performance cost. My cooling fans start screaming very quickly in P3D VR mode and in MSFS.

4. MSFS is very rich in terrain detail. For all it offers it seems to be better optimized for VR than P3D. The visuals are fantastic. However, flight sims being what they are and VR being what it is, high end specs usually get you the best experience.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Pretty much what Skycat says, VR for MSFS does require a very up to date higher end system for a nice VR experience. In FSX with Flyinside the Comanche should be good to go, its been a fair few years since I used it but before the P3D switch when we where still all on FSX then, flyinside software for FSX (Not to be confused with flyinside flight simulator) was a daily driver for myself as a VR flyer.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”