Lights, Warnings, GPS

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
[email protected]
Airman

Lights, Warnings, GPS

Post by [email protected] »

Hello,
I have bought Dec. ,2020 the A2A ACCU-SIM simulator software for the Piper Comanche 250 aircraft model. I appriciate already very much flying this computer model, but I still have some problems with the following items and therefore need help or explinations to solve problems:
Assignment to keyboard keys
I have already assigned some function in the FSX to the keybord buttons using the FSX and the FSUIPC (paid version) software but I cannot assign and operate the following items:
• Left landing light
• Right landing light
• Rotating beacon
The problem is that the commands are either not listed in FSX or FSUIPC or- in case of the landing lights – do not operate when allocated to the keyboards buttons.

Acoustics Warnings
The following acoustic warnings cannot be heard when airborne:
Stall warning (yellow warning light is illuminated)
Autopilot disconnect (autopilot „ready“ light is illuminated)
Landing gear warning
On ground, at pre-flight check, the stall warning flap moves up and down and an acoustic rattle can be heard. Flying other FSX aircraft those warnings can be heard at the related flight configurations.

Aircraft Configurator (GPS, Landing Lights)
Installation of GPS or Landing Lights from the Aircraft Configurator was not possible. I always received the following messages:
Can’t swap C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\model\modeI_default.cfg and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\
A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\model\modeI.cfg files content.
Der Zugriff (the access) auf den Pfad (path) „C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\
A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\model\modeI.cfg“ wurde verweigert. (has been refused) and
Der Zugriff (the access) auf den Pfad (path) „C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes
\A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\panel\panel.cfg“ wurde verweigert. (has been refused)
Unquote
The following software is used:
• Windows 7
• FSX Professional Edition
• Accu_Sim_Comanche_FSX dated 18.06.2015
• A2A_Update_05_11_20
• Comanche 250 Aircraft Configurator (FSX)
• FSUIPC4, Version 4.975

Many thanks for your help und / or explanations.
Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Lights, Warnings, GPS

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Hans and welcome.

Thanks for the detailed info provided in your post. I can see that you've updated the Comanche to the latest version, so it's possible that the error message you see when trying to use the aircraft configurator is related to third-party software such as an antivirus suite limiting access by the executable in question. One thing you could try is running the Aircraft Configurator with admin privileges by right click clicking its icon.

Have you tried using the Input Configurator too? This is a separate tool which can be used to assign custom cockpit function including the left and right landing lights and the cockpit lighting. It doesn't look like the beacon light switch is included, but if you're familiar with using text macros in FSUIPC, you can use the L:Var control listing here to program this switch and various other to your hardware.

As for the acoustic warnings, there's actually no stall warning horn fitted to this 1959 aircraft, just the indicator lamp. However, you should be hearing a gear warning horn if the gear is retracted and the throttle is at idle. Similarly, you should hear an autopilot disconnect tone. Is the autopilot working correctly otherwise, and do you hear the pitch trim command beeps if in ALT mode?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your fast response and the detailed support. I tried to run the Aircraft Configurator (GPS) with admin privileges and this was successful. However, finally I wanted to go back to the basic panel layout without any GPS, but this was not possible. I uninstalled the A2A software and reinstalled it from the downloads two times. This did not function, the “GPS”-Panel (Default) always was loaded again. What is to do to delete the GPS at all and return to the basic Cockpit panel? I think this basic panel fits more to the Comanche aircraft.
I have used the Input Configurator to assign cockpit function as much as possible but I have not found commands for right and left landing lights. In future I will try to use FSUIPC when more familiar with this software.
I checked the acoustic warnings again but the gear warning cannot be heard if the gear is retracted (both with flaps up und flaps down) and the throttle is retarded to idle. The autopilot is working correctly – this autopilot is simple to operate and I like all the functions – but an autopilot disconnect tone or any beeps in ALT mode at manual pitch trim inputs cannot be heard. However, I like flying this airplane type most of all FSX models and will ignore these deficiencies in future if needed.
Thanks for your support.
Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Hans,

Glad to hear you've been able to run the aircraft configurator successfully.

When it comes to selecting a cockpit with no GPS fitted at all, this can be done with the Shift 3 "Controls" menu, irrespective of which GPS was selected in the standalone configurator. The shortcut for this is roughly in the middle of the panel in question and more info can be found on page 95 of the manual.

Screenshot 2021-01-25 111923.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-25 111923.jpg (138.32 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

Since you mention you've reinstalled (something we'd only recommend at a later stage in troubleshooting) please can you manually delete the following file...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\Comanche250\Update_fsx\client.wyc

...And rerun the A2A_Update_05_11_20.

For the landing light shortcuts, they should be there, but please bear in mind they're described as "landing lamps" as highlighted below.

Screenshot 2021-01-25 111228.png
Screenshot 2021-01-25 111228.png (33.42 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

That just leaves us with the missing autopilot and gear warning sounds I think. This is a rather unusual issue. Can you hear other sound effects in the cockpit such as the click sounds associated with moving switches?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your help. I should have read the Comanche manual a second time to fix the GPS issue by myself. Thank you for being patient with a 78 years old mechanical systems engineer.
I have deleted the software file and rerun the A2A update as recommended and this was very successful: The landing lamps (left / right) appear in the Comanche Input Configurator and keys could be assigned to them. Great! Unfortunately, there is still no beacon light listed.
Aural Warnings
I can hear different sounds such as: Switch clicks, flap operation clicks, engine and landing gear / brakes noise, even buffeting at stall. I checked the landing warning with the aircraft on jacks: Aural warning with flaps up and down with throttle lever at idle was ok. At flight in idle and with different flap positions, no warning can be heard. Also, the gear unsafe or transient light in the “gear up and locked” position was illuminated. (The gear switch is either in the up or center position). When the gear is in the “down and locked” position the green light is on.
There is furthermore no autopilot disconnect warning. However, the autopilot manual does not mentioany aural warning at all.
I learned a lot about the airplane during these tests.
Thanks,
Hans

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
to amend my findings of yesterday, I just used the headset function. Now I was able to hear the landing gear warning in flight. This problem has gone.
Have a nice day!
Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the update. So, presumably it was just the engine sound drowning out the higher-pitched beeps from the autopilot? Anyway, I'm very glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

For assigning a switch to the beacon light, looks like it'll be a case of using your copy of FSUIPC to create a simple text macro to toggle the "L:BeaconLightSwitch" L:Var. If you're not too familiar with L:Vars and text macros but would like to give this a try, I can certainly provide a bit more info.

Best regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
thank for your help. I will try to solve the beacon issue by my own. If I need further assistence I will contact you again.
Thanks again.
Hans

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”