HSI Won't Slave

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

HSI Won't Slave

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I went to fly the Comanche, thinking I should give it a bit of TLC prior to the MSFS release and remembered why I haven't flown it for a long time. At the risk of asking yet another "facepalm" question, I've tried and looked at everything I can think of and I cannot get the HSI to indicate properly. On powerup the HDG flag goes away but it stays on whatever heading it was on when when it was dead. After that it moves normally but stays about 180°, (or wherever it started) off and I can't see a way to reset the heading. Note in the second picture that the CDI that's slaved to the GTN is indicating properly, but it's pointing at the tail of the airplane with a TO indication because the heading is off by that much. The HQM VOR is directly in front of the airplane, matching what's seen on the NAV2 OBS. Even if it's a facepalm answer I'd sure appreciate it if anyone has an idea how to resolve this issue!

I did try an uninstall/reinstall, but nothing changed, so the airplane's basically unflyable :( hence the dust on it :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: HSI Won't Slave

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob,

The Century NSD-360A HSI modelled in the Comanche isn't one of the fancy slaved models so has to be manually corrected for gyro drift.

In the sim, you can do this by clicking the knob at bottom right and then twiddling your mouse wheel to rotate the knob. Or alternatively, you can cheat and press 'D'! :)

Bear in mind the HSI is air-driven but also electrically connected, so if you're still seeing an issue with its operation, check the circuit breaker which is near the primer.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks for the quick reply Nick!!

I figured I was missing something...I'm thinking I'm a "D" kinda' guy...and I may have worn that circuit breaker out while troubleshooting...haha!

I'm off to try that right now and thanks again!!!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Glad you resolved that problem. I typically hit the B and D keys almost as often as I check the manifold pressure for a drop due to carb ice when flying the Comanche. If I ever got into a real one, I'm sure I'd be looking for the B and D keys!

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Paughco, yep Nick to the rescue as always!! I've been using B for years but just learned about D today...it's a poor day when you don't learn something :wink:

Also, after a successful flight from Monterey to Santa Rosa, the Comanche has jumped up a bunch on my preferred list!!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear it was a straightforward solution for this one Rob. I think this peculiarity of the NSD-360A has caught a few people out over the years, as it's not immediately apparent that that knob has two functions.

Anyway, thanks for the update and happy "D'ing"! :D

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”