no more ground loops for me :)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: no more ground loops for me :)

Post by DHenriques_ »

FlipS wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 04:42 How about crosswind landings?
There are two ways to approach: crabbing or slipping down. If you come in crabbing, you have to give rudder to yaw the airplane in the direction of the runway just before touch down. During slipping down you hold the nose alined with the runway with the wing that points to the wind hold down. Just before touch down you have to level the airplane. Both methodes are delicate; a little fault will result in shooting aside the runway. Would you touch down on one gear, you will see the stars.
If I try to make a three point landing, I’m often blown aside the runway before the airplane touches down. In a wheel landing, the tail is pushed aside and I will see the grass at the other side of the runway.
Most of my crosswind landings (with gusty winds) end in a ground loop or at least heavy crunching tires. With less luck the landing ends in a somersault. :shock:
Fair weather landings are no challenge.
Much is emphasized when it relates to the T6 concerning rudder when it comes to landings.
Often neglected is the use of aileron, and the use of aileron is of great importance on crosswind landings, ESPECIALLY in the AT6.
The roll out after touchdown is a critical time in any tailwheel airplane and especially in a close coupled aircraft like the T6. Aileron MUST be held into the wind as well as maintaining lateral control with the rudder. Crosswind requires a coordinated technique involving all controls available.
Dudley Henriques

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

Thanks, Dudley! But it is easier said than done for an amator like I am.
The A2A T-6 is great!
I will need other rudder pedals. The Saitek Combat rudder pedals look great, but ask too much force in the centre.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

FlipS wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:09 Thanks, Dudley! But it is easier said than done for an amator like I am.
The A2A T-6 is great!
I will need other rudder pedals. The Saitek Combat rudder pedals look great, but ask too much force in the centre.
Don't worry. You'll get it. It just takes practice. I have no doubt that if I got into a T6 this afternoon I'd need some practice myself.

About the pedals. You can spend a lot for really good ones. The one thing you want to look for is that whatever you buy make sure it comes equipped with Hall Sensors. The difference between the Halls and potentiometers is AMAZING. The Halls will absolutely make your sim experience a LOT better.
Dudley Henriques

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

Yes, I know! I make use of the Thrustmaster Warthog joystick (with Halls). It stands between my legs where you will find the stick in a real aircraft. I changed the springs so that it moves completely free in the centre. That way I have a very acurate feeling in the ailerons and elevator. I am considiering buying an extension.
My next rudder pedals will have Hall sensors.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”