Basic TIPS

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Basic TIPS

Post by Scott - A2A »

I just wanted to start a thread here to help people with little things with the T-6.

Most important: Use your clean kit before you leave the plane / exit the sim. It is in the CONTROLS (SHIFT-3) menu. Then be sure to remove it before flying. This prevents oil from pooling in the lower cylinders.
Hand prop before flying (count 5 blades)
-------------------------------
Canopy: Left click to move back, right click to move forward

Tailwheel lock: Stick forward to unlock the tailwheel, stick back for locked and steerable

Smoke: Arm switch ON (top of right console), smoke container filled LOAD MANAGER (SHIFT-4), and use the CONTROLS (SHIFT-3) menu to turn on and off

Backfires: Need to be very slow and smooth with the throttle

Landing: Land on main wheels, push the stick forward to raise tail. Hold tail up, then at around 40-50 mph, bring the tail down and hold it there. Avoid being in between, with tail low (you can land slower on all three wheels if you wish too)

Raised fuel gauges: In CONTROLS

Hangared: In CONTROLS, the airplane will always be somewhat warm when you start flying
A2A Simulations Inc.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Basic TIPS

Post by speedy70 »

Thanks Scott.
My first impression is that the aircraft is brilliant.I found it much easier than the P51 and, provided you pay attention to the rudder handling, very positive on the ground.I was very concerned about ground loops but as you say watching the rudder avoids this.
Thanks to all of you for another superb model.
Cheers Chris

Anawake
Airman First Class

Post by Anawake »

Scott,

why not landing in 3-point?

Worked out fine as I put her down.

Thanks,
Marco
Cheers,
Marco

Image Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

You can land in a 3 point, and if you do, the tailwheel will be on the ground and steerable. The wheel landing is where things can quickly get dicey so I put these instructions up.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

I've always pulled the prop through 9 times one for each cylinder, but then never encountered a clean kit as not a standard fit. Will have to adjust to the new technique.

Problem with 3 pointing her is that you quickly run out of rudder authority and married with that narrow track undercarriage and as Scott said the tail wheel becoming steerable, makes landings more difficult.

Martin

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

The beginning of the Developer's Notes in the manual says that you either need to hold the tail up or to land on 3 wheels.

Landing on almost-3-wheels isn't a good idea, so its easier to land on 2 wheels with the tail high if you have the runway length.

(just adding to what Scott and T6Flyer said, I haven't tried it myself yet).
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

Anawake
Airman First Class

Post by Anawake »

Scott - A2A wrote:

Landing: Land on main wheels, push the stick forward to raise tail. Hold tail up, then at around 40-50 mph, bring the tail down and hold it there. Avoid being in between, with tail low (you can land slower on all three wheels if you wish too)

Scott,

I missed the part where you suggested that landing 3-point is possible as well. Was a bit puzzled then.
Well I think, landing on wheels or 3-point is a matter of taste. (please no debate in "with or without checklists"-style! )Like the question whether landing in crosswinds crabbed or with a forward slip.
I land slipped in 3-point if need be, as I found these techniques fine for me :)
Cheers,
Marco

Image Image

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

T6flyer wrote:I've always pulled the prop through 9 times one for each cylinder, but then never encountered a clean kit as not a standard fit. Will have to adjust to the new technique.

Martin
I'm curious, Martin. If you weren't using a clean kit, would pulling through 9 blades be essential, or would pulling through only 5 blades be enough to reveal any resistance due to pooling? Intuitively, I agree with 9 blades.

Also, does the clean kit tap into only one cylinder, or several of the lowest?

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Just always done it with every 1340 and 985. Just the way I was trained and think with every operator was always the same.

Martin

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Jacques wrote:
T6flyer wrote:I've always pulled the prop through 9 times one for each cylinder, but then never encountered a clean kit as not a standard fit. Will have to adjust to the new technique.

Martin
I'm curious, Martin. If you weren't using a clean kit, would pulling through 9 blades be essential, or would pulling through only 5 blades be enough to reveal any resistance due to pooling? Intuitively, I agree with 9 blades.

Also, does the clean kit tap into only one cylinder, or several of the lowest?
The number of blades to be pulled through (i.e. everything more than 4 blade2 = 2 full revolutions) is not really significant. On a 9-cylinder radial there's a compression stroke every 80°, which means that after having turned the prop by 720° (9 x 80°) every piston has gone through overcenter twice, once with the valves open and once with full compression. Handpropping more than the minimum 4 blades is just a reminder not to be a minimalist :D and also helps for initial lubrication of all moving parts.

As far as the Cleaning Kit goes, I think is is connected to the two lower cylinders.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Least it gives me a bit of exercise. Will keep on doing 9 blades, don't want to break any tradition!

Martin

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

9 blades brings all cylinders through a compression stroke, while 5 blades brings all cylinders through at least one stroke (compression or exhaust).

Some count 5, others count 9.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Heres another tip MAKE SURE PARKBRAKE OFF before towing , i failed to spot this error , and towing fwd to straighten tailwheel resulted in the nose hitting the deck.
regards alan. :oops:

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Great thread for tips Scott, thanks.

I have a couple of questions: The Generator; why does it have to stay on all the time?

And Carb Heat; do radial engines require the same amount of Carb Heat usage and technique as in say, the Comanche and Cherokee?

I noticed some reduction in MP and RPM whilst taxiing this afternoon, in rain showers with live ASN. Carb Heat recovered the reductions, but i was unsure as the winds were high, and sometimes this has an effect in FSX.

Cheers,

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

JUST BOOTYFULL 8)

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”