Finished Repaints

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Re: Finished Repaints

Post by T6flyer »

Wonderful stuff indeed. Much better than I could do! I presume the real life canopies will fit all of the repaints?

Just asking as you know am I bit of a purist and paint real T-6s as a hobby. Good to see a bit of artistic licence, but would prefer myself to see the actual canopy as per the real airframe. But each to their own of course, otherwise life would be extremely boring.

Best wishes,

Martin

Rexbo47
Airman

Post by Rexbo47 »

Beautiful paint that prompts a question...

Wondering why the cowl number is different from the fuselage number?

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Rexbo47 wrote:
Beautiful paint that prompts a question...

Wondering why the cowl number is different from the fuselage number?
Common practice with most USAAF trainers. The letter shows the station where it was based and the three digit number is the airframe's identification number, not related in anyway to the serial number.

X was for Luke Field, Y for Williams Field.

http://www.fuselagecodes.com/id28.html

Martin

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

T6flyer wrote:Common practice with most USAAF trainers. The letter shows the station where it was based and the three digit number is the airframe's identification number, not related in anyway to the serial number.
What's the number painted on the cowling then Martin (X614)? This doesn't seem to be related to the station letter, airframe ID or the (abbreviated) serial number on the tail...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Nick M wrote:
T6flyer wrote:Common practice with most USAAF trainers. The letter shows the station where it was based and the three digit number is the airframe's identification number, not related in anyway to the serial number.
What's the number painted on the cowling then Martin (X614)? This doesn't seem to be related to the station letter, airframe ID or the (abbreviated) serial number on the tail...

Cheers,
Nick
Damn......thought someone would ask! ;) Umm don't know. And I meant to repaint T-6s? - My excuse is that nearly all of my projects are Commonwealth ones- honest! :) Would think Mr Terrell will have the answer.

Cheers,

Martin

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Does seem a bit unusual compared to most other T-6 photos I've seen where any number painted on the cowling is usually the same as the 'big one' painted further aft on the fuselage. Maybe this aircraft was 'relocated' from Williams to Luke or something? US Military aircraft numbering has always seemed a bit mysterious to me: this link gives some idea of the complexity. :? Nice repaint anyway Tom! Anyway, I'd better stop cluttering up the repaint thread with chit-chat! :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Rexbo47
Airman

Post by Rexbo47 »

Nick M wrote:

Cheers,
Nick
That was the point of my question as well.

Perhaps Tom can enlighten us.

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Obviously every branch of service.....as well as time in history is different, however, let me throw this in. (smile)

While in Marine Corps aviation for almost 18 years this is what I saw.

Obviously each aircraft had a unique Bureau Number (174634, etc)....that was usually painted on the tail and all the aircraft logs and records would reflect that number as it never changed from the time the aircraft was produced at the factory etc. Sometimes it was easily read......sometimes not.....but the 6 digit BuNo. never changed and was never duplicated: i.e., the aircraft crashed....that number was removed from the inventory.

However, on the nose of the aircraft there was always a number painted.......123, 634, 000, 020, 873, 23, 01, 00 etc. These numbers were assigned by the squadron and were used for squadron tracking ONLY. (Many times squadrons would try to have some sense of order to these....however, from first hand experience.....that didn't always happen. (smile)).

Rarely would these squadron assigned numbers change......and in fact....I suppose they may have even been assigned by the wing or group instead of the squadron........however, my point is....they had no bearing on the the original BuNo. of the aircraft when built.

Keep in mind.......military aircraft don't always stay with the same squadron they start out with.......aircraft do get transferred from squadron to squadron as necessity dictates and then the receiving squadron, wing or group would change the nose number as needed.

Also keep in mind.......in times of conflict.......keeping the same number on the nose of the aircraft is a GREAT way to give away your squadrons deployment positions......yes......the bad guys do watch stuff like that and would love to know which squadrons are where and squadron strength's etc., etc., etc. (Probably not something that happens much in training aircraft but you get the idea.)

Bottom line.....at least from this Marine's perspective......the nose number means very little..........no more than a "nickname" of sorts to the aircraft from that squadron at that specific time in history.

Cheers,

BTW.......Beautiful Paint!!!!!
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I know the photo well, that Tom's repaint is based off of, and it should be considered a Williams Field AT-6 (the photo is in the Williams Field student pilot's yearbook for 1943, after all).

Regarding AT-6C USAAF Serial No. 41-32120, a record shows that it was involved in a landing accident and ground loop on February 5, 1944, at Ajo Field. Looking up "Ajo Field", it turns out that it was a sub-field used for aerial gunnery practice, controlled by Luke Field up until 1943, when it was then taken over by Williams Field (Luke Field and Williams Field themselves were/are both located fairly close to each other, in the area of Phoenix, AZ). So with that, I think we certainly must have our answer as to how this particular Texan wound up with the specific markings it was seen to have when photographed in 1943 (and as depicted by Tom) - initially serving as an aerial gunnery trainer with the Luke Field operations out of Ajo, and later as an aerial gunnery trainer with Williams Field operations out of Ajo. When the photo was snapped of this aircraft in 1943, only the buzz code on the fuselage had been changed to that of Williams Field (this being the most important number on the aircraft for other squadron pilots and spotters on the ground).
John Terrell

zsoltfireman
Airman First Class

Post by zsoltfireman »

Last edited by zsoltfireman on 17 May 2016, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

Rexbo47 wrote:
Nick M wrote:

Cheers,
Nick
That was the point of my question as well.

Perhaps Tom can enlighten us.
The info I got was sent by a friend, Jim Baumann :

the cowling color is the most likely one for that serial range

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Not hard to imagine that the proper cowling developed a crack, loose fasteners, or whatever, so they put one from another aircraft on Y-519. No biggie.

And a repaint showing it is just that much more fun.
Blue skies and tailwinds

zsoltfireman
Airman First Class

Post by zsoltfireman »

Soon!

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Cool! Looks great.

I would love to see all/more of the CAF T6s. :)

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”