Should I Purchase the T6

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
rhenson529
Senior Airman

Should I Purchase the T6

Post by rhenson529 »

Hello,
I'm mostly a GA flier. I own all the A2A GA planes and fly them every chance I get. I also own the P51 and B377 but haven't been able to really fly them due to the complexity but plan to master them this summer.
My question is should I get the T6 because it was used as a trainer and then master the others or should I wait? I'm hoping the T6 is simpler than the P51 and will help with the more complex planes.
I have a lot of admiration for the A2A team for putting together such quality planes. You can feel the love and passion that goes in each plane. It's like each plane has a unique personality as you soar through the air and "feel" the soul of the plane.
Should I go for it or master the P51 first? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Should I Purchase the T6

Post by JoeS475 »

If you're a GA flier, I'd get the T-6... It's modeled as one you'd find today, with some modern equipment to help out. And since it's quite common to randomly see a T-6 at any number of airports worldwide, and very common to see them at airshows, it's a warbird/GA crossover in the truest sense to me.

I've not flown the P-51 since the latest update yet, so it may be different, but I've found taking off in the T-6 is as easy as any A2A GA offering, but landing it is tricky and takes some skill to keep from groundlooping... The P-51 the opposite is true, it can be quite hairy getting it into the air, but landing is much easier than the T-6.

Much of the complexity of both of these warbirds can also be found in just getting the engines started. But this is a rewarding experience too!

Honestly can't go wrong by getting it, and as you know there is lots of wonderful support here on the forums if and when you need it!

Joe
Joe

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

rhenson529 wrote:Hello,
I'm mostly a GA flier. I own all the A2A GA planes and fly them every chance I get. I also own the P51 and B377 but haven't been able to really fly them due to the complexity but plan to master them this summer.
My question is should I get the T6 because it was used as a trainer and then master the others or should I wait? I'm hoping the T6 is simpler than the P51 and will help with the more complex planes.
I have a lot of admiration for the A2A team for putting together such quality planes. You can feel the love and passion that goes in each plane. It's like each plane has a unique personality as you soar through the air and "feel" the soul of the plane.

Thanks,
Ron

My honest opinion is that the AT6 is so good a trainer and so correctly done by A2A that passing it up would be a huge mistake. I believe you will find the P51 much more fun to fly having mastered the AT6. The 6 will give you everything you need to become proficient in flying any tail wheel airplane. The T6 is a wonderful combination of complexity and the time to deal with that complexity. Flying the T6 gives you just enough challange so that you feel good after you have flown it.
By all means add the T6 to your A2A collection. Trust me, you won't regret owning and flying it.
Dudley Henriques

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

rhenson529 wrote:I also own the P51 [...] but haven't been able to really fly them due to the complexity but plan to master them this summer.

[...]

I'm in the exact same boat as you - I have the Mustang but haven't flown it much.

But I think that's actually a great opportunity to experience and learn from the T-6 the way so many WWII pilots did. I don't think too many A2A fans have that opportunity left, having already spent many hours in the bigger warbirds :P

So, yeah, I'd definitely recommend picking up the Texan.
Last edited by bastins on 01 Apr 2016, 04:19, edited 2 times in total.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Get the T-6 first, yes. I find her much more of a handful than the Spitfire much less of a handful than the P-51. Whilst I have not had the dramas with the T-6 or the P-51 that some people appear to have had (been flying sims since 1985 and for real since 1995) I do find the P-51 draining to operate on the ground. The T-6 less so..but still "a bit of a lass". The Spit is much easier to damage if you do the wrong thing, much easier to avoid doing the wrong thing....

FWIW mate.

(Oh..and get the Spitfire too:) :) )

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Hi Ron,

It is hard to say because I've been flying the A2A P-51 for a long time and the T6 for 12 hours. Actually we might say that A2A pilots having both, have been trained in the 51 to fly the T6 :lol: ! Then also, the word trainer could have a different meaning for an altogether new simmer or somebody having already had some experience in GA aircraft

The 51 has a specific difficulty which is the take off with a powerful engine and a large prop. The 6 would be a excellent trainer, for a rookie pilot, to sort out the basics of flying a powerful taildragger but I am not sure it would have helped me to learn that tough take off. Practicing a lot with the Mustang (and Dudley's tutorial for take her off) is the only way. Aggravating at first but extremely rewarding at the end :) .

Now should you buy the Six ?

She is a stable platform, easier to fly all along except for the ground portion of the landing but stable does not mean boring ! A good introduction to real combat warbirds.

First, you will be in charge of your aircraft, the A/P is kinda an afterthought (my opinion, YMMV). Scott says that the goal of Accusim is to make their aircraft a breathing thing. It has never been truer with the Six. From an user point of view, this aircraft is a very significant step in this direction. From the remarkable sound suite, the best of any aircraft I own, to the shaking of the canopy frame, to a very credible (i won't dare say true to life, myself not being a real pilot) you feel like being there. From the starting sequence hand turning the prop to the final hanging of that queer oil tank at the end (and you'd better not forget it), 10/10 on immersion.

A last note, the canopy makes the Six an excellent tourer if you like large regional sceneries à la OrbX or à la UTX.

You like flying ? My guess is that you will love the Six.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I took my first two flights last night. First run, I wallowed and crashed after takeoff despite my years of experience with A2A warbirds. Second attempt was successful but I experienced the dreaded ground loop upon landing...

The T6 is both everything I expected and not at all what I thought it would be. As Accusim it is like a hybrid of the Cub and the P-47D (except not as complex or fast as the Thunderbolt), and twitchy like the P-51. Slow, basic...and demands your constant attention.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Thank you everyone. I ended up purchasing the T6 and really enjoy this plane. It seems to be a great transition plane to more complex warbirds. I've made a few successful landings and will work my way towards mastering some technics.
Thank you again for the recommendations.

A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Yes

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

You should find all of your aircraft are easier to fly (and land) after you have mastered the T-6.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Scott - A2A wrote:You should find all of your aircraft are easier to fly (and land) after you have mastered the T-6.

Scott.

That has certainly been my experience, though I think I need more time on the T-6 before I'd consider myself any sort of a master of it :lol: .

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Kakusso
Airman Basic

Post by Kakusso »

I just bought the T-6 yesterday, then I decided that I should go to sleep. After exiting the sim to my surprise the watch was showing 3:48 am. It just shows the level of immersion of that plane.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”