Stupid question, but: Smoke control in VC?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Stupid question, but: Smoke control in VC?

Post by Dooga »

Hi all, just a quick maybe stupid question, haven't found anything in the manual or forums on a quick search:
Is there any control in the VC matching the 'Smoke' setting in the Shift-3 menu? I know about Smoke Arm, but that is something different.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Stupid question, but: Smoke control in VC?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I don't think so. At least not that I know. I don't know why though and how they'd activate the smoke in the real one!?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

I'm guessing the real one didn't have smoke.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:I'm guessing the real one didn't have smoke.
But real T-6s in real life are equipped with real smoke...

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

pjc747 wrote:
Bruce Hamilton wrote:I'm guessing the real one didn't have smoke.
But real T-6s in real life are equipped with real smoke...
:mrgreen: Yes they are. And why did they model smoke but not the switch/lever if the real one didn't have it Bruce? :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Not only that, but they modeled a smoke capacity gauge, and a smoke arming switch...
Joe

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes they are. And why did they model smoke but not the switch/lever if the real one didn't have it Bruce? :wink:
So why did they not model the switch/lever in the cockpit? The real one certainly doesn't have a shift-3 menu. And why would a bird that served in the war as a fighter have a smoke system, to let the enemy know you're coming? :mrgreen:

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

The T-6 was/is a very good platform for Sky Writing. I use to watch one every day. He wrote in the sky twice a day.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes they are. And why did they model smoke but not the switch/lever if the real one didn't have it Bruce? :wink:
So why did they not model the switch/lever in the cockpit? The real one certainly doesn't have a shift-3 menu. And why would a bird that served in the war as a fighter have a smoke system, to let the enemy know you're coming? :mrgreen:
It was mostly a trainer, not a fighter. It most likely didn't have a smoke system initially, but neither did it have a Garmin, autopilot, transponder, modern radio, smoke arm switch, modern AI, etc.
And we don't know whether the actual smoke switch is modeled or not, which is why I asked...

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

There is a "Smoke Arm" switch in the VC, but in order for it to work, you also have to have "Smoke" enabled in on the 2D panel.
You also need to make sure that the Smoke Oil tank has some fluid in it.

If any of the three parts mentioned are not ready to go, them you won't get smoke, when using the VC "Smoke Arm" Switch.

The "Smoke Arm" Switch is in the top row of switches to the far right of the Generator Switch.

Step 1: Fill Smoke Oil
Step 2: Enable Smoke on 2D Panel
Step 3: You'll have "Smoke On" any time the "Smoke Arm" Switch is on. The smoke will continue to work until the Smoke Oil Tank runs dry.

Also it is very important, not to use the default FSX "I" keyboard shortcut for smoke. This by-passes all of the normal functions of the T-6's smoke system.
Last edited by FAC257 on 01 Apr 2016, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
FAC257

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:So why did they not model the switch/lever in the cockpit? The real one certainly doesn't have a shift-3 menu. And why would a bird that served in the war as a fighter have a smoke system, to let the enemy know you're coming? :mrgreen:
I don't know why they didn't model the smoke switch in the cockpit. I'm wondering that too! Maybe someone from A2A can shed some light!? But Scott wasn't testing the aircraft in WWII he was testing it in 2015/2016 and my guess would be that most of them do have a smoke system nowadays. I'm sure though you're right. Not much use for one in WWII :wink: :lol:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

FAC257 wrote:There is a "Smoke Arm" switch in the VC, but in order for it to work, you also have to have "Smoke" enabled in on the 2D panel.
You also need to make sure that the Smoke Oil tank has some fluid in it.

If any of the three parts mentioned are not ready to go, them you won't get smoke, when using the VC "Smoke Arm" Switch.

The "Smoke Arm" Switch is in the top row of switches to the far right of the Generator Switch.

Also it is very important, not to use the default FSX "I" keyboard shortcut for smoke. This by-passes all of the normal functions of the T-6's smoke system.
Yes that's understood. But why is there no "smoke on/off" switch in the cockpit. As Bruce states correctly the real aircraft doesn't have a 2D shift+3 menu. So how is the smoke turned on in the real thing??

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

Maybe smoke enabling (as in the Shift-3 panel) is something you do externally, on the ground, and the just use smoke arm in flight?

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

Dooga wrote:Maybe smoke enabling (as in the Shift-3 panel) is something you do externally, on the ground, and the just use smoke arm in flight?
That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like the Shift+3 menu option works not as an on/off switch, but rather an equipment toggle, like the GPS, autopilot, etc. Once your smoke system is "installed" via the Shift+3 menu, the Smoke Arm switch is your in-flight on/off switch (as long as you have smoke oil in the tank, of course).

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

bastins wrote:
Dooga wrote:Maybe smoke enabling (as in the Shift-3 panel) is something you do externally, on the ground, and the just use smoke arm in flight?
That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like the Shift+3 menu option works not as an on/off switch, but rather an equipment toggle, like the GPS, autopilot, etc. Once your smoke system is "installed" via the Shift+3 menu, the Smoke Arm switch is your in-flight on/off switch (as long as you have smoke oil in the tank, of course).
Interesting. But why can there still be smoke oil in the smoke oil tank if smoke is disabled in the shift+3 menu? If the shift+3 menu basically enables or disables the smoke equipment in the aircraft shouldn't it prevent you from putting smoke oil in there too? Sort of like the fuselage tank in the P-51. No tank installed = no fuel load possible in that tank.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”