G-CHIA

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

G-CHIA

Post by Bomber_12th »

This repaint has been uploaded to Sim-Outhouse, Flightsim, and Avsim, file name: jt_a2a_at6_gchia.zip

This particular aircraft was initially built as an AT-6D and assigned the USAAF serial 44-85501, but was reassigned to the US Navy as SNJ-5 BuNo. 85061. The aircraft remained with the US Navy until in 1954, it was one of 12 SNJ's loaned to the then newly formed Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, and assigned the number 6208. In 1977, the aircraft was returned to the US Navy and it was subsequently sold into the civilian market, first becoming N9012Y in early 1979. Initially based in California, by 1984 the aircraft had been restored and painted in the markings of an early 1950's Oakland NAS based SNJ (the same markings/paint it carries today). The aircraft was sold in 1997, and was based out of Corvallis, Oregon for a few years, before being sold again in 2001, at which time the aircraft was based/flown from Skagit Regional Airport in Burlington, Washington (north of Seattle).

In 2012, the aircraft was sold again to its current owner, The Warplane Flying Co., based in England. The aircraft became G-CHIA on July 20, 2012, and was photographed arriving at Duxford on September 3, 2012 for reassembly by ARC (the Aircraft Restoration Co.). Following assembly, the aircraft flew from Duxford for the first time on Nov. 2, 2012. Since early 2013, the aircraft has been based at White Waltham airfield, but makes an occasional visit to Duxford for servicing/maintenance by ARC.

John Terrell

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Re: G-CHIA

Post by VH-MAL »

Great repaint! And thanks for the very interesting history.

Malcolm

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

I cannot find it on Avsim

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Another cracking repaint John!

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Artur wrote:I cannot find it on Avsim
It can take a day or so to appear on their site.

I picked up this beauty from Sim-Outhouse.

Malcolm

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Thank you guys for your replies!

Here it is from Avsim: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=195743

(Just and FYI, I uploaded the repaint to all three sites all at the same time yesterday (by early afternoon). Avsim used to be pretty quick about having uploads made available from the library, but now it takes about a day's time, sometimes, like it does at Flightsim. On Sim-Outhouse, it was available by the evening.)
John Terrell

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Beautiful paint job John, like it a lot.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff as always on the repaint and aircraft history! 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Wonderful repaint again. Can't thank you enough as have flown in G-CHIA at White Waltham.

Martin

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

All the years it was based in the US, I never noticed it in online photos or publications, but then it shows up at Duxford in 2012/2013, and I immediately took an interest in it. ; ) I love the markings and the combination of the overall yellow with the silver canopy frames (just as they were finished in the early 50's).

As I mentioned, although she calls White Waltham home, it has its annuals/maintenance done at ARCo at Duxford. Here's a rather evocative photo of the aircraft (though prop missing), parked up by the ARCo compound at Duxford, taken back in January of this year (photo by Robert Camp):

John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

BTW, Martin, you also might like to know that the next one I'll have released is Rob Davies' G-TVIJ, which I know you had a hand in.
John Terrell

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Here is a photo of her when she was on the FAA register as N9012Y. I have a number of images and all in this scheme, so possibly was put back into US Navy colours when was imported from Japan?

What will probably be unknown is the Japanese serial as they had their own kind of strange way of identifying airframes and there is no matchup available. I will ask her owner if he has any paperwork to support such a thing, but I seem to remember we discussed it in the past and to avail found the JASDF one.

And a few recents:

Martin

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Bomber_12th wrote:BTW, Martin, you also might like to know that the next one I'll have released is Rob Davies' G-TVIJ, which I know you had a hand in.
It's a bit like Christmas! Thank you very much indeed. I worked on the history of this and was instrumental in researching it's colours. Was one of my earlier projects, but still one of my favourite T-6 airframes. A true Warbird having seen combat in Mozambique and Angola and with patched bullet holes on the fuselage. A very interesting past.

Cheers,

Martin

Sat in the back, North Weald June 2012.

If you need anything, please by all means ask. Have the complete history and photos of it when in FAP service. Also rare photos of other 4s in their USAF/Luftwaffe ferry markings.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”