Training videos

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Redglyph
Senior Airman

Training videos

Post by Redglyph »

I've stumbled on this training series and thought I'd share it here (1953/-54 US Navy Pilot Training Film). There are loads of historical videos on this channel, for who's into that kind of things :)

Flight Training: "Before You Fly"
Flight Training: Take-offs, Approaches and Landings
Flight Training: Crosswind Approaches, Landings and Take-Offs
Flight Training: Emergencies
Flight Training: Small Fields (Short Runways)
Flight Training: Wingovers and Chandelles
Flight Training: The Wingover Roll
Flight Training: The Barrel Roll

There are also some interesting information in the description below the video, make sure to check it out.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Training videos

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for sharing those Redglyph. There are some real gems hidden away on Youtube. :)

I've only had time for a quick look so far, but I'll definitely give the traffic pattern technique described in the second video a go when I next fire up the sim. The 500' downwind, 'wingtip's length from the runway' circuit looks interesting and will make a change to the usual GA traffic pattern.

Thanks again,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes thank you.

Cool videos. I just watched the "Short field" video. It'll be nice to try to reproduce those procedures in the simulator.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh nice find, added to the neverending playlist, youtube has fast become a main option for entertainment these days, who needs normal TV when Ive so much on demand stuff to keep me entertained :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Glad to share it :) To be honest I haven't replicated that yet in the sim but that's something I want to try, especially the crosswind manoeuvres and emergencies.

It's funny how they did a lot of training videos for their pilots, I have never heard of such practice for RAF or Luftwaffe pilots. Well, RAF used to train on the Harvard too, so maybe they watched it ;) I remember seeing a video on the Mustang that was also meant as training material, but never saw such a thing for the Spitfire. Perhaps those movies were better kept, or simply disappeared, but I believe it was just a different training approach.

Yes, I suppose the patterns were much more visual then, and probably more relax as well given the navigation instruments, if one reads accounts from ww2 pilots like Geoffrey Wellum or Tom Neil. It must be quite an interesting exercice to go from point to point at night, trying to maintain the aircraft heading and altitude, while keeping track of the distance and bearing to hit the waypoints and scrawling measurements on paper.

An actual training add-on with those lessons and an exam would be a real kick, especially with aircraft as detailed as A2A's! I've tried add-ons like FSFlyingschool or FSPassengers but it's only remotely convincing compared to the missions one can find for example in DCS with the A-10C, and only partly satisfactory because of all the peculiarities of each aircraft those programs are not always aware of.

We can find elements of that in COTS with the career mode and crew's comments, but if it were pushed to an actual training add-on that'd be awesome :)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Oh nice find, added to the neverending playlist, youtube has fast become a main option for entertainment these days, who needs normal TV when Ive so much on demand stuff to keep me entertained :mrgreen:
Hehe, so true, I'm pretty sure I'm spending much more time watching stuff on Youtube than on TV these days! Those providers better adapt :D

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Oh nice find, added to the neverending playlist, youtube has fast become a main option for entertainment these days, who needs normal TV when Ive so much on demand stuff to keep me entertained :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched something on TV (normally repeats all the time!) but Youtube is viewed every day and there is always something worth watching. Some interesting Channels to subscribe too as well.

And as to the above videos:

Martin

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

T6flyer wrote:And as to the above videos
Priceless, thanks for deterring those :D
It seems actors had their share in those training videos. There's a video on being a flight engineer in the B-29, with Ronald Reagan's voice, no less - not the only president or political figure with an acting career, makes you meditate on the meaning of life sometimes (especially the part regarding the prerequisites to making a great nation leader).

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hiya,

Slightly off topic, patterns show in the video are navy/carrier based.

Are there any of the USAF overhead pattern with the T-6? Know the basic's of a overhead pattern, mainly interested in the speeds and altitudes flown with the T-6.

Strangely enough in all the different real-life manual's there is nowhere mentioning of the overhead pattern being flown by the T-6??

Thx,

Marcel

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

From the T-6G manual:

Martin

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'm naughty then as I love the classic RAF curved approach that so many spits etc are beautifully pictured doing 8) ,..but then that might explain my landings :lol: :oops:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I'm naughty then as I love the classic RAF curved approach that so many spits etc are beautifully pictured doing 8) ,..but then that might explain my landings :lol: :oops:
Likewise - even though from the front at least the view ahead is good enough for a straight approach I just love the feel and view in the curved final. The only problem is I get too comfortable doing them one way and so come unstuck when I come across a circuit in the opposite direction. Still, practice makes perfect...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”