Landing Tail Wheel First Yikes!

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

Landing Tail Wheel First Yikes!

Post by lowew79 »

When trying to land I sometimes over flare I guess and I feel the aircraft touchdown with the tail wheel touching the ground first by about half a second. How bad is this in the real aircraft? Does it destroy the tail wheel? What are some tips to avoid this? It seems like the "proper" way to land is all three wheels touching at the same time. But what if you are little off either way (back wheel slightly first or main gear just before tail wheel)?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Landing Tail Wheel First Yikes!

Post by DHenriques_ »

lowew79 wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 11:23 When trying to land I sometimes over flare I guess and I feel the aircraft touchdown with the tail wheel touching the ground first by about half a second. How bad is this in the real aircraft? Does it destroy the tail wheel? What are some tips to avoid this? It seems like the "proper" way to land is all three wheels touching at the same time. But what if you are little off either way (back wheel slightly first or main gear just before tail wheel)?
Shouldn't be a problem as long as there is very little sink rate at the stall. A lot of 3 point landings are accomplished in this manner. What you DON'T want is to stall with some air between you and the runway, hit the tailwheel first and bounce upward on the mains. As long as you reach stall at absolute minimum altitude in your flare, you should be ok if the tailwheel touches down first.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”