Multiple T6 heaven!

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Assinthewind1
Airman

Multiple T6 heaven!

Post by Assinthewind1 »

This subject may have been covered elsewhere but I thought I’d share the info anyway as it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of this great airplane:

I fly three different T6 repaints - an AT-6D, an SNJ-5 and a Harvard Mk.III with each airplane being saved as a separate flight. Each one has slightly different cockpit textures to make them individual - all is good. However, I was acutely aware that I was actually flying the same airplane as the Harvard would ‘inherit’ the fluid levels, dodgy battery and leaky hoses from the SNJ and so on, and the performance of all three was, of course, identical - not so good. I then chanced upon an unrelated thread that revealed the following solution to this dilemma:

Info regarding fluid levels, worn or broken systems, engine and airframe hours and aircraft configuration (prop spinner on or off/antenna on or off/canopy type etc.) is saved in a file called v2_T6log.dat that resides in the \documents\A2A\FSX\T6 folder, along with a few .bak files. When you load the T6 this file is read and gives you the plane in the condition that you left it the last time you flew, regardless of which repaint you use. Here’s what I do:

In the \documents\A2A\FSX\T6 folder I’ve created three sub-folders, naming each one with the aircraft’s registration. When I finish, save and end a flight I copy the v2_T6log.dat file into the relevant sub-folder for that aircraft. For example - after flying the Harvard and shutting everything down I save the flight, end the flight and then copy v2_T6log.dat into the sub-folder named EZ316 (the Harvard’s reg. number). Next time I want to fly that particular plane I copy v2_T6log.dat from EZ316 back into \documents\A2A\FSX\T6, load the flight and everything is just as I left it. I do this for each of the three repaints.

OK, it involves some file-copying but it takes a lot less time to do it than it does to read about doing it and here’s the real advantage - using the shift-3 menu I can select the ‘used’ option to obtain differing airframe and engine hours for each aircraft, which remain unique to that aircraft. Setting MP at 30”, prop at 2,000rpm and pitching for 110mph now gives me slightly different rates of climb for each plane, and setting 24”/1,850rpm in level flight gives me three slightly different airspeeds. No doubt fuel and oil consumption will differ too, depending on the engine hours.

I now feel that I’m flying three subtly different airplanes, rather than one airplane in three different colours, which has added immensely to my enjoyment of the Texan. No doubt this will work for any of the A2A birds. If anyone knows of a similar or better technique please advise…

A big thank you to Senior Master Sergeant Jacques for the enlightenment… a virtual case of Bud is on its way!

DISCLAIMER: I’m not aware of any problems that the above might cause, but please make a backup of any files or folders that you change, just in case... 8)

Assinthewind1
Airman

Re: Multiple T6 heaven!

Post by Assinthewind1 »

Here's a more automated way of doing the same thing which has been around for a few years: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=36871&p=305995&hi ... le#p305995 Thanks again to SMS Jacques for providing the link...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”