t-6 oil consumption?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Saucey12
Airman

t-6 oil consumption?

Post by Saucey12 »

I have been flying the t-6 now for rougly 30 hours on the hobbs.. What's the normal burn rate of oil for the engine? It seems I am burning about a gallon every 2 or 2.5 hours of operation. Is this normal?
Thanks,
Jason

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: t-6 oil consumption?

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Yes that's normal. The rate of oil consumption in the R-1340 will vary greatly depending on the condition of the engine and if you've ever seen a T-6 immediately after a flight of any length, you'll know where most if it is going :wink:

When my Dad bought his first Harvard in 1970, the oil consumption was in the neighborhood of 4-5 (imperial) quarts per hour right up until he overhauled the engine a few year later, after which it went down to less than a quart per hour. A compression test in the hangar will tell you what shape the cylinders are in and a quick ring job will bring them back up to snuff.

Round engines do consume oil regardless... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 12:40 Yes that's normal. The rate of oil consumption in the R-1340 will vary greatly depending on the condition of the engine and if you've ever seen a T-6 immediately after a flight of any length, you'll know where most if it is going :wink:

When my Dad bought his first Harvard in 1970, the oil consumption was in the neighborhood of 4-5 (imperial) quarts per hour right up until he overhauled the engine a few year later, after which it went down to less than a quart per hour. A compression test in the hangar will tell you what shape the cylinders are in and a quick ring job will bring them back up to snuff.

Round engines do consume oil regardless... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Thank you Rob. I thought so, just wanted to make sure going forward now that I am totally getting a hang of things (especially the landings at a light cross wind lol) at 33 hours so far.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Saucey12 wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 13:04 Thank you Rob. I thought so, just wanted to make sure going forward now that I am totally getting a hang of things (especially the landings at a light cross wind lol) at 33 hours so far.
Anytime Sir!! She's a great airplane, but she is a handful at times... 8)

Enjoy your T-6!!
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”