Engine cut out on negative G.. and smoke issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Re: Engine cut out on negative G.. and smoke issue

Post by Molly - A2A »

I don't mean to confuse things, but I just got done doing some test flights and for me, the engine recovers on its own after (in some tests, quite sustained) negative Gs. I do use FSUIPC for the mixture axis.

P3D 3.2

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I heard back from Marc who tested a proposed fix, one that filters out any corrupt values from FSUIPC, and he reports it has cured the issue for him. We will get this out in the form of a beta update in the coming days.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Moach
Airman First Class

Post by Moach »

the more info we have, the better it is to isolate the issue -- so far, we have all but determined that this is FSUIPC related, since all the users who are reporting it also use that

in my case, the mix is set through a FSUIPC calibration axis, same results as the user before who mentioned having his set likewise, but using the "send to FS" option - that probably rules that out then... whatever causes it, does not seem to vary with how the mix input is defined - yet it is due to FSUIPC

the plot thickens....

edit: (ninja'd by Scott, hehe)

well, that's massively promising - maybe it's fixed then... nice!
To fly is to behold Men's ultimate mastery of the elements; Of eons dreamt, at last fulfilled;
Over cloud and top, the true realization of achievement voices out in wondrous awe:
"...Acknowledge my last transmission!", I think it says...

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Moach wrote:in my case, the mix is set through a FSUIPC calibration axis, same results as the user before who mentioned having his set likewise, but using the "send to FS" option - that probably rules that out then... whatever causes it, does not seem to vary with how the mix input is defined - yet it is due to FSUIPC
Yep, that could very well be the case... I am not using the FSUIPC calibration axis, just send to FS.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I had something like this when I accidently switched from left tank to off while at 10,000 feet. Engine quit. Would not retart on rihht tank. Pumped the manual fuel pump but could not get any fuel pressure. Switched back to left tank pumped some more and finally restared at 6,500 ft. Got back to altitude and switched to right tank with no problem.

Don't recall any thing in the book about air restart but seems like switching to course pitch full rich and full throttle helped with the recovey
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I had a phone call with Scott yesterday where I told him what I have done and what was affected by that. Also that I have all axis assigned via fsuipc as I had problems with several aircraft of other developers, such as pmdg or aerosoft (A320...) And for assigning a hardware axis to different functions it is not possible to use a general setting via p3d/fsx.

we did some checks with the speed with which we moved the hardware mixture lever and with the speed we moved it with the mouse. after that he seemed to have an idea and did some checks with a beta tester.

a few hours later he sent me a file to try it out and the problem was solved on my side.

my issue WAS, that on ground, when I had cut the mixture quickly and reset it to rich very quickly, the fuel flow didn't decrease anymore when leaning on the ground at 1000rpm or so. This issue made the engine die in flight at the shortest fuel cut off, be it by the mixture lever or a neg-g-pushing.

He told me not to change anything by myself so maybe that's the best way for everyone.

But beside that, when I didn't cut the mixture and left this particular pre flight check out for the moment, everything seemed to be ok. The aircraft is perfectly flyable when you don't touch the mixture lever too fast. lean gentle and beware of a fuel cut off by the mixture lever and you should be ok until Scott releases the update.

What I would like to add:

Thank you to Scott and Oskar (lonewulf47) for the great support and effort fixing this issue. I told Scott before but I want to do it again in public: There is a reason, why we like A2A that much!

Greets,
Marc

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Sounds really good.
However, leaning on ground or in the air doesn't affect my fuel flow at all, at least until the engine cuts out.
But hopefully the patch will work anyway.
Kind regards, Matthias

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

MatzeH84 wrote:Sounds really good.
However, leaning on ground or in the air doesn't affect my fuel flow at all, at least until the engine cuts out.
But hopefully the patch will work anyway.
that's the point.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Reading through this thread, one thing that's worth mentioning is that there's a check-box option in FSUIPC4 to apply a digital filter to each hardware axis which apparently "tries to suppress fast changes such as jitter".

Just curious if those who have experienced this issue have the "filter" checkbox ticked for their mixture axis.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Nick M wrote:Reading through this thread, one thing that's worth mentioning is that there's a check-box option in FSUIPC4 to apply a digital filter to each hardware axis which apparently "tries to suppress fast changes such as jitter".

Just curious if those who have experienced this issue have the "filter" checkbox ticked for their mixture axis.

Cheers,
Nick
Yes, I had this checked but it didn't remove the issue.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Oskar - I was really meaning could the filter be a possible culprit rather than a solution as it's something which is evidently processing the data between the hardware and FSX/P3D.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

tonksa
Airman Basic

Post by tonksa »

Hi All,

I have encountered the error described in this thread. Whilst it has only appeared whilst engaged in aerobatics, I can report that the loss of engine power has also occurred during positive G maneuvers. Furthermore, I have noticed a correlation between this fault and a lack of RPM variance whilst completing the mixture check during engine run up. I cannot say that the two occur hand in hand, I have had flights where the runup mixture issue is present where the engine has not proceeded to fail. Although this could be down to a developed habit of not performing aerobatics on a flight where the run up issue is noted.

Many thanks to A2A Simulations for the fine product, and support. The passion is palpable.

Edit: Upon further testing I can report that, as others have reported above, the mixture lever has no effect in all flights effected by the loss of power issue. I run FSX with FSUIPC. In regards to FSUIPC, I have an axis mapped to the mixture lever, but no axis filtering is applied in regards to mixture control.

Regards,
Alex.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I can confirm the engine cutting out after flying inverted, experiencing 0 G. Attempts to restart in postitive G fail, was able to make dead stick landings both times, inspecting the engine, nothing shown as wrong in the hangar. Autostart attempt fires up for a few seconds then engine dies. Manual start attempts...Engine runs seems to run on primer shots, then dies even with mixture rich. Restarting the sim 'resets' the problem. It is almost as if going 0g 'breaks' something that is not reported in the hangar

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I just uploaded a new accusim update (3/29) for the public. Thanks to the new testers for a very quick and positive test.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Excellent! downloading the update as we speak. Thanks again for the service Scott brilliant customer relations. :)
Joe W

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”