NAV ID always on

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

NAV ID always on

Post by Paughco »

I fly my T-6 out of Arlington Airport (KAWO). When I shut down the airplane I tend to leave the radio, transponder, and GPS all on, and shut them all down simultaneously with the master avionics switch on the right side panel. Also, I tend to leave my NAV tuned to the KAWO localizer frequency, 111.50. Sometimes when I start the airplane, and turn the master avionics switch on, all the avionics comes alive at once, and then I hear the NAV ID beeping Morse code for I-AWO, even though the ID is switched off on the NAV radio unit. When I turn the ID on, I get two tones.

This doesn't happen all the time. It happened earlier this morning when I flew a series of (very bad) touch and goes at KAWO. There was a lot of traffic, and that, combined with a crosswind, was putting me off. Yeah. Later I started up my T-6 at Weipa, Australia (YBWP) for more landing practice. This place is absolutely in the middle of nowhere, but it does have a VOR (WP, at 112.80). The ID switch worked correctly this time.

Has anybody else experienced this ID beeping phenomenon?

OH yeah, my landings finally started to get smoother and more uh, "controlled." More frequent, very small corrections seem to be the way to go. That and much practice. Landing a T-6 is NOT like riding a bicycle. I flew my P-40 last night right after installing the latest update, and that thing is a pussycat on landings compared to the T-6.

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: NAV ID always on

Post by Nick - A2A »

Paughco wrote:[...] When I turn the ID on, I get two tones.
Hi Paughco,

Do the two sets of morse tones play at two different pitches? If so, it sounds like you're picking up a DME ident along with the VOR/LOC ident. This would be because the DME ident is enabled in the flight file, even though the A2A T-6 doesn't have a DME set fitted.

If so, you should be able to reconfigure your saved flight so the DME ident is turned off by default, as described in this thread.

Alternatively, perhaps you've got the NAV ident switched on for the NAV2 radio by default in the flight file?

Cheers,
Nick

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I have the same tone, and not sure how to fix it. On the At6 I use the GTN 650 to set frequencies, and the last couple of flights, when the Morse code for the ILS starts sounding, turning it off on the radio panel, does not stop the tone. If I switch the NAV frequency away from the ILS, it stops. I even reloaded the aircraft after a flight, and still can't shut the tones off. Any ideas. I am not sure what I would have to edit to fix this.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Next flight, everything back to normal. Avionics tech said the radio needed some new "tubes".... :wink:
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”