T-6G Abnormal Ground Behaviour

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
tsekp
Airman Basic

T-6G Abnormal Ground Behaviour

Post by tsekp »

I' m a proud owner of Accusim P-51D, Cessna 172 and T-6G airplanes.

Since the installation of the last AccuSim update (02/04/19), I've noticed these two problems in the ground behaviour of the T-6:
1. While taxiing, the tail wheel bounces every few (5-10) seconds, without any obvious reason.
2. Few seconds after landing, the aircraft swings violently to the left.

I will very much appreciate any help - advice - comments.

Thank you in advance and contiue your excellent work.

My specs: Windows 7 (X64), FSX Acceleration, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, RAM 8GB, Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Best regards,
P.T.
P.T.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: T-6G Abnormal Ground Behaviour

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello P.T. and welcome to the A2A forums.

I've just had a quick test flight in the T-6 in my FSX installation and nothing seems amiss as far as I can see.

For the first issue you mention, small bounces are normal but you certainly shouldn't be seeing anything too violent. If you are, are you using any third party software which affects how the aircraft moves? For example, EZdok comes to mind.

For the second problem, I'm just wondering if you've spent much time in the aircraft getting used to the handling prior to installing the update, or if you're you're fairly new to the type? The T-6 does have rather tricky ground handling characteristics, and if not handled properly is prone to swinging or even ground-looping during the landing roll, especially in a crosswind.

If this is a handling issue, we can certainly point you in the direction of some tips on controlling the aircraft throughout the landing until she's safely on the chocks. There are also a few community members who have flown (or even own) T-6's.

However, if you're already pretty experienced with the T-6 and this seems to be 'new' behaviour, have you checked your controller/toe-brakes calibrations? Also, are you using any third-part weather programs?

Thanks,
Nick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

tsekp wrote: 11 May 2019, 11:522. Few seconds after landing, the aircraft swings violently to the left.
Welcome to the world of flying the T-6 :) It's an insane experience to land a T-6 and completely unlike any other airplane.
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

tsekp wrote: 11 May 2019, 11:52 I' m a proud owner of Accusim P-51D, Cessna 172 and T-6G airplanes.

Since the installation of the last AccuSim update (02/04/19), I've noticed these two problems in the ground behaviour of the T-6:
1. While taxiing, the tail wheel bounces every few (5-10) seconds, without any obvious reason.
2. Few seconds after landing, the aircraft swings violently to the left.

I will very much appreciate any help - advice - comments.

Thank you in advance and continue your excellent work.

My specs: Windows 7 (X64), FSX Acceleration, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, RAM 8GB, Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Best regards,
P.T.
The "trick" if you could call it that, in landing the T6 is to be aware that the lateral sensitivity increases almost exponentially as the tail settles down after touchdown and the rollout begins on all three gear. This is exasperated also by the fact that as the ground speed decreases during the rollout you need more rudder to make the same degree of correction you made a second ago when the ground speed was higher.
The method of handling the rudder during the rollout is a method of proactive action as opposed to reactive response. Correction using the rudder has to be instantaneous, subtle, and very smooth. The main gear on the 6 is closely coupled and ANY slow or incorrect rudder action during the rollout can spell real trouble real fast. Your goal is to keep the nose straight letting it wander from center no more than a few degrees. I always told pilots I checked out in the 6 that 5 degrees off centerline was too much and when we programmed the A2A T6 for you we took all this into consideration. We handed you an airplane that would behave VERY closely to its real counterpart.
Make sure your rudder controls are calibrated correctly then set out to practice landings. You'll know when you have it right.
The T6 is flown with your fingers and toes. It's a brute that requires a gentle touch.
Oh yes...........just for fun, all the above gets even more critical with a crosswind in the landing equation. In wind aileron is added to your landing technique..........and oh yeah..........we programmed that in there for you as well.
Have fun. You'll feel VERY good when you get it all sorted out. :-))
Dudley Henriques

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

tsekp wrote: 11 May 2019, 11:52 Since the installation of the last AccuSim update (02/04/19), I've noticed these two problems in the ground behaviour of the T-6:
I noticed exactly the same after the last update. Also on the P-51 and the Spitfire in my FSX:SE installation.

The bounces seem to come in regular intervals. They’re violent enough to trigger the smoke touchdown effect.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Hm OK maybe there is a bug here since they share the same common core code. I will test this.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I noticed it in Orbx scenery. Maybe that’s a contributing factor?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:45 The method of handling the rudder during the rollout is a method of proactive action as opposed to reactive response. Correction using the rudder has to be instantaneous, subtle, and very smooth. The main gear on the 6 is closely coupled and ANY slow or incorrect rudder action during the rollout can spell real trouble real fast. Your goal is to keep the nose straight letting it wander from center no more than a few degrees. I always told pilots I checked out in the 6 that 5 degrees off centerline was too much and when we programmed the A2A T6 for you we took all this into consideration. We handed you an airplane that would behave VERY closely to its real counterpart.
What a great explanation!! This airplane is so real that it forced me to remember the 30 year old T-6 rudder dance that I'd let slip, while flying sedentary FSX airplanes over the past 10 years, none of which demand anything close to the degree of proactive rudder action that the T-6 does.
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:45 Have fun. You'll feel VERY good when you get it all sorted out. :-))
Dudley Henriques
I am having more fun with this airplane than you can even imagine and you're exactly right...the huge feeling of satisfaction that comes from landing the T-6 properly and sometimes even gracefully, eclipses all I have ever felt for any other accomplishment in FSX over the last 10 years/4300 hours by a considerable margin :D Thanks again A2A team!
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Pil
Airman

Post by Pil »

I just bought the T-6 for P3dV4 a few days ago and also noticed that while taxiing the airplane the tail wheel was bouncing every few seconds with a puff of smoke. I am running Orbx scenery also so I cannot say if it is only with Orbx or default scenery. I did not experience any of the landing issues just the tail wheel jumping.

Hope this helps.

John

tsekp
Airman Basic

Post by tsekp »

Thank you all for the help - replies!

I indeed have some orbx sceneries and third party weather addon (REX).

The mentioned behaviour - especially the tail wheel bouncing (yes - with smoke!) did not occur with the previous AccuSim updates.

Considering the violent swinging, it may be my "fault". To add immersion, I usally land with crosswind conditions (5-15 kts) - it is very "educative" when you are a real world GA pilot flying in the "windy" Greek islands! Maybe I should be more preactive with the T-6's rudder handling!

Best regards,
P.T.
P.T.

FlyingsCool
Airman First Class

Post by FlyingsCool »

I'm running the T-6 in FSX:Acc. I have lots of Orbx scenery installed (but none of the True Earth) and have not seen any of the tail bouncing issues. I have about 6 hours in the plane I think. Nothing untoward about tail swinging either (other than what I'd expect).

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

I have noticed this to with the T6 and the P-51 I get smoke from the tail wheel of both planes when taxiing the planes. so you ain't the only one. lol welcome to the world of tail draggers :D

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello,

I can confirm it too on FSX:Acceleration. Not so noticeable with P-51 and the Spitfire, but the T-6 tail bounces regularly and causes dust-smoke from the runway.
Like Sebastian, I also have Orbx scenery.

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey folks,

have those suffering with the bump tail changed there scenery mesh settings to try a new setting?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Scott - A2A wrote: 12 May 2019, 12:46 Hm OK maybe there is a bug here since they share the same common core code. I will test this.

Scott.
Hi Lewis,

I guess we are waiting on an update from this post too. :mrgreen:

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”