battery won't hold charge in my T6

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: battery won't hold charge in my T6

Post by MkIV Hvd »

LouP,

The inertial starter is not modeled correctly in the T-6. It is modeled properly in the P-47 and P-40, where you first energize the starter, then engage. The starter switch in the T-6 is a rocker switch with which you depress the heel to energize and then the toe to engage the starter. It does sound the same as the T-6 starter when engaged, but the system is missing the "energize first" function.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Gents,

The inertia starter modelled in the T-6 is different to the one implemented in the P-47, P-40 and B-17. A little more discussion of this question can be found in this topic and also this one.

In short LouP, yes, the prop should be turning when the electric motor is spinning up the inertia wheel.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 05:20 Gents,

The inertia starter modelled in the T-6 is different to the one implemented in the P-47, P-40 and B-17. A little more discussion of this question can be found in this topic and also this one.

In short LouP, yes, the prop should be turning when the electric motor is spinning up the inertia wheel.

Thanks,
Nick
Well I've always said it's a poor day when one doesn't learn something! I guess I'd read "Direct Inertial Starter" and not knowing that such a thing existed in that form, didn't pay much attention until now. I stand humbly corrected and thank you very much Nick, have a wonderful day!

Also, now that I've learned something by 6:15 am, I can now relax for the rest of the day :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Haha! You're welcome Rob - enjoy the rest of your relaxing day too. :lol:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Just wanted to let you know all seems to be well again.

Thank you for your help.

LouP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's good news LouP - thanks for the update.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”