battery won't hold charge in my T6

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
LouP
Senior Airman

battery won't hold charge in my T6

Post by LouP »

I was in the middle of a flight tonight and everything seemed fine but 30 minutes in all my electrics started flashing, gps cut out so I landed at the nearest airport. I saw the battery was shot so I replaced it and it stays charged for about 30 seconds when I get the message that the battery wont hold a charge. I did an overhaul but no change. I use fsuipc but the extend battery option is not checked. What am I missing?

Thanks,
LouP

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: battery won't hold charge in my T6

Post by bobsk8 »

Is the Gen switch on?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi LouP,

Does this issue with the battery failing to hold a charge persist even after reloading the sim? If so, which aircraft loads with your default P3Dv4 flight and are there any other utilities being launched when you start the sim?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Yes generator is on but battery fails before I can even exit the repair hanger. I did update to the latest NVidia driver yesterday as they touted some pretty good improvements for VR. My buddy also updated to the latest driver and now he said his A2A planes won't steer (again). I haven't checked that out yet but now I'm wondering if there is an issue with the driver.

LouP

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Update: restarted sim this morning and checked comanchee, she steers fine for me. Went to T6, everything seemed OK until I autostarted her as there was no electrical power after she started (yes generator was on). Tried to connect the GPU while she was running and lights started flashing again in the cockpit. Shut her down and went into the flight hanger and battery is shot. Not sure what's up. You guys trying to keep me in my cub lol.

Let me know if there is any other testing/troubleshooting I can do. I like flying my T-6.

LouP

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Check Nicks questions below.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Oracle427 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:30 Check Nicks questions below.
Does this issue with the battery failing to hold a charge persist even after reloading the sim?
Well obviously since I restarted the sim today and stated the problem was still there.

If so, which aircraft loads with your default P3Dv4 flight and are there any other utilities being launched when you start the sim?
Default F22

Is that better?

LouP

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Any utilities?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey LouP,

Thanks for the info. Yes, just wondering if there are any utilities which you use to launch P3D or which load with the sim, as I recall previous mention of a VR launcher possibly being related to an issue with Accu-Sim products loading.

Generally speaking, if the maintenance hangar warns that the battery isn't holding its charge, replacing it in the hangar should resolve the issue, provided the software is able to write to the log.dat files properly. It sounds a bit like something on your system is preventing this.

Any other recent changes such as installing new antivirus software etc?

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Active Sky, Spad.NEXT, Lil Nav Map, Windows Mixed Reality, and Steam VR. I launch P3D using the P3D v4 icon and run as administrator. Also, FSUIPC without the extend battery box checked.

System:
i7 8700K running at 4.9 ghz
64 GBytes DDR4 memory
Z370-E ROG Striz motherboard
RTX 2080ti gpu

Hardware:
VirtualFly Yoko+ yoke
VirtualFly TQ6+ throttle quadrant
MFG V2 Crosswind rudder pedals
3 Saitek Flight Radio Panels
Saitek Flight Multi Panel
Saitek Flight Switch Panel
Saitek Pro Flight B.I.P.

HP Reverb Mixed Reality Headset

LouP

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Rolled back video drivers to previous version but it did not help. Let me know if it's ok if I just uninstall and re-install.

LouP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Reinstalling won't do any harm LouP, but I doubt it'll help either.

Instead, I recommend you try deleting the generated log.dat files for the T-6 in case they've become corrupted. This will reset the aircraft to brand new status. These files can be found in "Documents\A2A\FSX\T6".

Before doing this, it may just be worth loading the aircraft with FSUIPC disabled just to rule out an issue here. To do this, you can just place a new folder in the "Modules" directory and temporarily move the FSUIPC5.dll into this folder.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Hi again,

Neither of these worked. While she started right up after deleting the log files, I still have no reading on the amp meter so it's just a matter of time before the battery dies again. And yes I replaced the generator in the repair shop. Another strange issue with all of this is that even though I had the inertia starter selected, it sounded like the electric starter was engaged when I pressed the starter. My T-6 needs a complete electric overhaul, help.

LouP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

LouP,

Just to clarify, if the generator is switched on, it should cut in at about 1,250 RPM (and out at 1,000 RPM), so if it's reading zero on the ground when you're idling it doesn't indicate a problem. However, if the needle is pegged on 0 amps in flights, there's probably an issue.

As regards the starter, have you tried selecting both starter options in the maintenance hangar and comparing the sound? The intertia starter also uses an electrical starter motor.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. I need to rev up the engines as I may have been at too low an idle. I'll let you know. As far as the inertia starter, should the prop be turning while it is running up? I seem to remember on my P47 that the inertia starter would wind up but the prop would not turn until you engaged it after wind up.

Thanks,
LouP
Last edited by LouP on 15 Jan 2020, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”