T-6 Texan Set-up Issues

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Bobster
Airman Basic

T-6 Texan Set-up Issues

Post by Bobster »

I have purchased and downloaded from Just Flight your T-6 Texan for FSX - SE. I disabled McAfee Firewall during the download. My PC's OS is Windows 8.1. I have CH Flight Sim yoke and pedals which, though many years old, function well with my other aircraft, default and add-on. I have assigned flaps, landing gear and ATC access to buttons on the yoke.
I have the following problems.
1. When I open the ATC dialogue box, it appears on-screen displaying initial permission request options. When one is selected the option is displayed but no accompanying voice and no response, either on-screen or voice, from ATC. I am teaching myself to fly and manage this plane by setting air traffic to zero and flying in a deserted world.
2. When I try to engage flaps 10° from full up via the yoke, one press gives no response, a second press causes flaps to pass directly to full flaps. The same happens in reverse. I can manage to engage intermediate stages by watching the panel indicator and pressing once in the opposite direction precisely as it passes the desired stage. Similar actions are required when using the cockpit flaps lever. Also, when the flaps lower from full up to full down in one go at 110 mph, there is no violent reaction from the aircraft, as might be expected.
3. Almost no rudder input is required when making banking turns, even fairly steep turns. Being used to my other planes I initially apply too much rudder according to the turn slip indicator. Is this correct for this aircraft? Auto-rudder is turned off in my FSX-SE settings.
4. I cannot find a way to connect external power to the aircraft for "start-up". Doing this is advised in the manual.
5. Occasionally, when I pan down in cockpit view to check / operate floor controls or the RH console switches, when I pan back up I find the cockpit glass has become semi-opaque as if misted over. I can clear this by opening and closing the canopy.
I have spent many hours trying to resolve these issues myself but have now run out of ideas.. Please help.

Finally, I can only access your community page that shows the 'new topic" link using my android tablet. When accessing your community page using my Windows 8.1 PC I can only reach a page that allows me to view posts. I use the search words ' A2A simulations community tech support" in each case. ???

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: T-6 Texan Set-up Issues

Post by Oracle427 »

Check the following:

1 Are the radios powered on and tuned to the correct frequency?
2 Flaps are operating as they should, this aircraft offers infinite adjustment and you will need to count off seconds to estimate position. The lever has three positions, raise, neutral and lower.
3 I can't comment from experience as I have none in a T6. I wouldn't expect it to require much rudder in cruise to make coordinated turns. Try slowing down to approach speeds or slow flight to see if it requires more rudder.
4 shift-3 menu or is it shift-4???
5 open the air vents at the bar of the control stick by placing your mouse cursor over them and scrolling the mouse wheel. I believe you can also open and close these from the shift-3/4 menus. I forget which one and I am traveling away from home.

Have you logged into the forum on your windows PC?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Bobster
Airman Basic

Post by Bobster »

Hi. Thanks for your advice and comments. I'll check that out and post again. One thing - the external power source is not visible to me on shift 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I've got a feeling it's inthe maintenance option but I can't find it.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I forgot to look last night but if external power is not an option on the Shift3 menu, then it doesn't exist. The Civ Mustang has a similar note in the manual about using external power prior to start, but it does not actually have external power available either.

Also, the canopy fogging behavior you described is exactly that and I'm not sure that opening the hot air valve on the floor will help...clearly the cold air vent on the floor will not...opening the canopy even to the first stop will usually clear the fogging.

Have fun with the T-6 & Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I'm 99% sure that external power is available for the T6, but it's been a while.

Good to hear you're making progress.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Shift +3 does have a GPU available but it isn’t something I’ve used or even needed. I guess it would be handy if your in a very cold environment where you might expect some trouble with starting.

I have my flaps set up through FSUIPC on a CH flight yoke to one of the paddle switches on the front of the yoke. When you load in the T6 the flaps are (usually) up. There are three detents on the flap lever in the A2A T6: UP, NEUTRAL or OFF and DOWN. To lower the flaps from the UP setting requires two presses or movements of the flap handle to move it from UP, through NEUTRAL to the DOWN position. Same for moving the flaps to UP from the DOWN position - two actions of the switch. Move the switch to the middle position for to stop movement in any of the intermediate positions. Hope that helps clear up the flaps for you!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Bobster wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 12:08 One thing - the external power source is not visible to me on shift 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I've got a feeling it's inthe maintenance option but I can't find it.
Hi Bobster,

As Oracle says, external power for the T-6 is available via the Shift 3 menu. You should find it in the middle column labelled "GPU".

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bobster
Airman Basic

Post by Bobster »

Thank you all for your advice. Lots of good stuff there and I'll get to work on it. I'll get you know how I get on. Best. Bobster.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I have the T-6 in P3D v5. I always start my sim with a default aircraft (I use the Maule), then switch to the A2A aircraft I plan to fly. First thing I do with the Six is check it out with external view and Shift+3 to get rid of the tie downs, control lock, oil drain, pito cover, etc., then pull the prop through. Next I Shift+S and go inside the cockpit. I always open the cockpit to 1) get inside, and 2) to prevent fogging inside the airplane. Then I start the airplane (C'mon, baby... give!). About half the time my radios aren't working. There's a COM switch on the right side panel that if I click the switch back and forth, the radios work. No idea why. Maybe it's Accu-sticky switch or something.

Enjoy that T-6!

Seeya
ATB

Bobster
Airman Basic

Post by Bobster »

Hi All. What a clever lot you are. All my problems have been sorted now thanks to your recommendations. Problem with ATC was caused by not having switched on the radio which automatically tunes to thGround and Tower, as you advised. The flaps operation is as I discovered and you confirmed as correct and it easy to operated by counting 2 seconds before stopping for each stage or as necessary. The rudder inputs are quite small even at low speeds but I can get used to that. I've found the GPU in shift+3, as advised, and seen it next to the plane; haven't used it yet. Thanks so much. I can now start to master this challenging simulation. You are all gentlemen and scholars. Bobster.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”