Connie Pilots- Post your Captian's logs

The "Queen of the Skies"
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Connie Pilots- Post your Captian's logs

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Good day all,
The career is still moving forward. The powers to be saw fit to hand out another salary increase today. I'm sneaking up on 1,000 hours in career mode. Today's flight departed Puerto Princesa (RPVP), Philippines and flew outbound of DVOR (PR) on 115.9MHz on radial 295. We flew dead reckoned for 234 NM over the South China Sea until we picked up DVOR (PCA) on 116.3MHz and followed that the rest of the way over water. We turned to DVOR (SAV) on 113.5MHz then to DVOR (VTN) on 117.5MHz. I was happy that our destination, Wattay Intl at Vientiane (VLVT), Laos, has ILS approach on 13 as the visibility was 2.5 SM due to ground fog.

All in all it was a great flight with favorable winds and smooth air. Now we're off to visit the sites that Laos has to offer. We'll see where next weekend takes us.

Cheers and happy simming.
Roger

-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Good day all,
My last flight in the Connie was 4 August, 2019. I had pretty much dedicated all my flight sim time to the Constellation sense it's release and it was time for a break. I've been in the Mustang and Comanche during my "vacation" from flying passengers. It has been a nice change but it was time to turn some big radial engines over again.

Today's flight, as always, is a continuation from where I landed on my last flight. We departed Vientiane, Laos (VLVT) headed to Magong, Taiwan (RCQC) via VOR's VTN, VIN, MLT, MCU, SWA & MKG. I really was surprised at the stress level from not flying the Connie in several months. It took me 30 minutes to familiarize myself again and I was still questioning what I should be doing next :mrgreen: once we reached cruise altitude of FL230. Kudos again to A2A for the fantastic aircraft and challenge that the L049 presents us. I love this aircraft.

I now have over 1300 hours in her and just under 1000 hours in career mode. I was not impressed with my landing but the crew and passengers seemed to like it. I still get sweaty palms when landing this thing :?

Nothing exciting to brag about this trip but here is the end of flight report. Rough weather at one point and my copilot had a "My My My" comment after landing. He really is a particular fellow :lol: .

Cheers
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello Connie drivers,
I've been in the South Pacific for a while now. It seems there are many Islanders with relatives around the Pacific that are not able to visit very often. So, I've seen many family reunions lately and it gives satisfaction to me. I also just love flying the Pacific Islands.

Today we departed Minami Torishima (RJAM) and flew South to Enewetak Atoll (PKMA). It was an un-eventful flight with good weather, good crew and fantastic passengers. I was unaware that one of my passengers was an executive for the mothership. As I was exiting the aircraft and looking for some native refreshments I was handed papers stating that they are very happy with my performance and are increasing my salary :D :D :D It seems to take about 130 hours now between raises.

Where are all the other Captains?

Cheers
Roger

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Flying my TWA Connie back from Frankfurt to Boeing Field in Seattle, via Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, over the top to Great Falls, MT. Career mode off. I don’t need the pressure.

Seeya
ATB

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Gooday Connie Captains
MSFS took some of my time for a while but I got bored in it waiting for A2A start releasing products so back to P3D. I noticed it's been a while sense any Captain's Logs have been posted. Today I made the 1500 hour mark so here is my log.

My crew and I took 37 passengers from Baita, China to Irkutsk, Russia. It's cold here at -13C with light snow flurries. The flight was pretty un-eventful aside from some moderate turbulence on decent and approach.

My Constellation flight log to date in Google Earth
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oa3590ronc7i ... t.kmz?dl=0

Cheers
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Good day all,
I haven't flown the Connie sense May of last year. She is still my favorite A2A bird due to the challenge she brings. I was a nervous wreck from the moment I climbed into the left seat until I was at FL240. By that point it was starting to come back and I was home again. What a great time at the PC. I have no salary increase or astonishing news to bring you, just a bump of this thread and see if anyone else is still fairing passengers around the globe.

I'm in Brazil again on another trip around the world and this leg was Eduardo Gomes Intl (SBEG) to Val De Caes (SBEE) via DVOR STM. We had several thunderstorms to try to skirt but we were not real successful at it, had some moments of bad turbulence to deal with. Other than that we had a great flight and nailed the landing.

Cheers
Roger

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That is really impressive, Roger! I’ve taken a few baby steps in the Connie recently. I’m still studying the cockpit and how everything comes together for a flight.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Jacques wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 13:55 That is really impressive, Roger! I’ve taken a few baby steps in the Connie recently. I’m still studying the cockpit and how everything comes together for a flight.
I look forward to seeing your flight reports Jacques. The Connie is always a challenge to me. If I spend my time in her exclusively I am on edge the whole time with the knowledge that things can go sideways at any moment. On the other hand, if I have not been in her for a while I'm a nervous wreck until I get to altitude with temps, pressurization, cruise power settings dialed in, only then can I relax a bit. I have to relearn the engine start process, check lists, pressurization panel and all the rest as well if I've been away. All that sounds like too much trouble at first but when you gently kiss the ground after 5+ hours of flight time, taxi gracefully to the gate, disembark passengers and shut down there is satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment.
The L-049, in my opinion, is a plane where having proper controls set up for RPM switch, cowl flaps, blower levers, heating and pressurization panel, engine start procedures, etc is super important. A friend built me a 2D heater and pressurization pop-up window and I have controls for all of it so I'm able to run that from the captains seat without constantly jumping from seat to seat hoping the plane will still be flying when I get back to the left seat.

I have Paul Newman on my flight now and Betty just served us pancakes for breakfast. 880 NM left to touchdown at SLTR so back at it :wink:

Cheers
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Good day all,
Just received a pay raise today. We took 44 souls from Santa Genoveva at Goiania, Brazil (SBGO) to Fernando De Noronha, Brazil (SBFN) via VORDME's BRS, LAP, PTL, NTL, NOR. It was a great flight with nice weather. I could have done a better job on the landing even though the approach to SBFN 12 is very steep with a hill and obstacles to deal with. However, there is plenty of runway to get the Connie down so I really have no excuse :roll: It's great to be getting some time in the L049 again. I love this bird.

Cheers
Roger

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

WB_FlashOver wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 10:54 A friend built me a 2D heater and pressurization pop-up window and I have controls for all of it so I'm able to run that from the captains seat without constantly jumping from seat to seat hoping the plane will still be flying when I get back to the left seat.
yup, I've done the same sort of thing, giving a deeper view of whats going on which allows me to stay in the pilots seat :D
Very basic graphically, but tells me all i need to know.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”