Airspeed indicator pointers

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
UKJim
Senior Airman

Airspeed indicator pointers

Post by UKJim »

So this is bugging me, what do each of the white doors represent on the airspeed indicator?

In other planes these can mean gear and flap extension during approach and approach speeds too. But in the Connie I can't seem to figure out what they all mean.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Airspeed indicator pointers

Post by Paughco »

There was a lot of discussion on this when the Connie first came out. One problem I had was that the speeds in the flight operations tables in the manual are all in mph, and the airspeed indicator is in knots. I edited my manual (using Drawboard PDF) to show all airspeeds in knots in that section. I developed a checklist that could be pasted in the checklist area of the pilot's kneeboard. It's not perfect, but getting close. Needs a couple tweaks, but here is the link to that: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=58323&hilit=checklist. That's my checklist, plenty of others have also developed various checklists. Do a search for "checklist" on the Connie forum and see what's available.

OK, back to the dots: I use the 172 knot dot as where it's safe to lower the first notch of flaps. This can be useful if you ever have to do a very quick descent; such as into a small area, such as Berlin during the Airlift, Da Nang during the late '60s, or similar. The idea is to throttle back to 23" MP, let the airspeed drop down to the 172 knot spot, drop the first notch of flaps and take her down at maybe 1,200 fpm. Better than a stinger up the wazoo. You can go to approach flaps at next, 146 knot dot. I don't use the other dots that much.

It's not perfect, but my airplane is still in one piece.

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I agree with the first dot as the speed for the first stage of flaps, but I'm not sure about 146 knots as the approach flap speed. I use that one as the landing gear speed; after lowering the undercarriage the plane readily slows into the white arc for further flap extension.

Addendum: from the Air France manual for the 749, converted from mph, I get 174 knots for first stage of flaps, 152 knots for the gear, and 127 knots for second and third stages, which is the top of the white arc.

Paughco: apparently your flaps are gonna fall off one day.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I vaguely recalled this being discussed when the Connie came out and finally found CapFlyer’s response in a similar thread:
100 Rotate Speed
120 Approach Speed
146 Gear Speed and
172 is first stage Flap Speed.

Link to the thread: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=57365

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OK, I'll have to think about revising my checklist.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”