Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:14 Nice flight Pat.
===>>> Thanks but not really.

How did you know where PAM was?
===>>> DRMI VOR1 needle changed quickly to the side and down. PAM was under Connie so I turned left and voila!..... I saw the runway.
trisho0 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 12:23 yes I was at too high Altitude but got the runway at front right after turning on PAM navaids.

FSX EDFE-EHAM was too high altitude to land.
What should you do if you are too high altitude?
I flew maintaining 7000ft (recommended from Plan-G) and I should have started at 21nm from PAM navaids descending at 1000fpm to be at 3000ft altitude ready to pass PAM and turning to the left (course 264) and keep descending at 600-700fpm to land. From PAM to land I have 12nm distance.
I might be wrong because I am not 100% sure about. I didn't try on it yet. I kept practicing EHAM Circle red boxes just did some flights.
Thanks for asking and please, correct me for good (lol).
Pat
Last edited by trisho0 on 21 Sep 2020, 23:21, edited 4 times in total.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I flew trying to go thru red boxes but also looking at instruments by inertia, sorry. I am sure that even not looking at gauges I would go thru the boxes anyway. I flew over than 10 Circle before recording these videos. Any complaints are welcome.

0-FSX EHAM Circle red boxes1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fk1lfY ... sp=sharing

0-FSX EHAM Circle red boxes2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dP6kCy ... sp=sharing

0-FSX EHAM Circle red boxes3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fO-xsf ... sp=sharing

0-FSX EHAM Circle red boxes4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ltXbLo ... sp=sharing

Any thoughts?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:40From PAM to land I have 12nm distance.
Suppose you pass directly over the top of EHAM at 7,000ft. What must you do then?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 23:22
trisho0 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:40From PAM to land I have 12nm distance.
Suppose you pass directly over the top of EHAM at 7,000ft. What must you do then?
Well, I call for FlapMan help, why? (lol)
OK, if I am flying over EHAM at 7000ft altitude instead of landing I am loosing my job.

So, I could do a Go Around flying a circle to capture PAM navaids again. Plan-G can help me.
So, I should start descending from 7000ft at least at 500fpm-1000fpm range during the GA to get 3000ft altitude and stay leveled until I get PAM navaids. Then after PAM I turn course 264 to see the runway and cool down.
Should I do a different thing? You are another Master so you know. Trev is waiting to see a more perfect flight I think.
Getting late tonight in MD. Rest well. Ah!... if you see Trev please tell him I say HI to him. Goodnight.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:15 Well, I call for FlapMan help, why? (lol)
Nope :)
OK, if I am flying over EHAM at 7000ft altitude instead of landing I am loosing my job.
Nope, it just means the flight isn't over yet.
So, I could do a Go Around flying a circle to capture PAM navaids again.
Yep!
So, I should start descending from 7000ft at least at 500fpm-1000fpm range during the GA to get 3000ft altitude and stay leveled until I get PAM navaids. Then after PAM I turn course 264 to see the runway and cool down.
Should I do a different thing?
I think this is a good plan.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:52
trisho0 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:15 Well, I call for FlapMan help, why? (lol)
Nope :)
I can tell you after every Connie flight regardless if journey or practicing I am starting boring with Jets. So, example PMDG very nice but not a challenge with FMC.
The next plane to give a try will be A2A B377 Stratocruiser, sometime later, never flew with (Installed Pregnant Guppy in Aug 6-2020). I will stay with Connie for a long time practicing before flying with B377.
Now I am going back to your Plan 1, 2 etc
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I watched more carefully the A2A Constellation video from Scott. I found the Primer is turned Off before Mixture the engine. I think then is time to watch the Oil Pressure gauge.
So, what is the correct procedure about?
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

The following video is Connie historical I found and look at how the plane is serviced after 10,000 hours flying. Amazing work from that time. I don't think today we have mechanic experts like from this video. It is sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFUKPlL-Xc
Now, going back to my circle practice, not happy yet.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I purchased Technobrain KOBE Airport scenery and I flew to RJTT Tokyo.

HYE and CL navaids Connie didn't care and not followed from:

RJBE (8000ft Alt)
CBE 117.80/087@79nm
HYE 116.20/[email protected]
CL 200KHz/[email protected]
RJTT ----/[email protected]

Maybe HYE and CL are not good navaids from Plan-G?

Back to my practice, not ready yet.
Pat

EDIT: It think maybe Plan-G database from FSX is different than P3D. I will take a look at later...

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 19:09 So, what is the correct procedure about?
Pat
It's gonna take some research on your end to find the answer. If you went back in time and asked 10 different operators of the 049 Constellation, you would probably get 13 different answers! You will need to either find a real life operating manual, or the flight manual from Lockheed to possibly answer this. If they even published such detail back then.
Starting these engines is more "art" than science. I personally leave the primer running until after I advance the mixture. It seems both procedures work fine if done correctly. The fuel delivery system is very well modeled by A2A, I believe it's the only aircraft in FSX that can run with the mixture in CUTOFF and only using the priming system. I like to run the Connie on just the primer.. just because you can do it.
trisho0 wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 21:47 I purchased Technobrain KOBE Airport scenery and I flew to RJTT Tokyo.
I don't have this airport in FSX. Neat!
CL is a valid NDB in my FSX, and is visible on Skyvector. The location and frequency match on both. CL does not exist according to PFPX. Perhaps a tuning error in this case?

PFPX, Skyvector, and the FSX map: none of these can find a HYE VOR.

Sounds like you're getting along very well.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 00:50
trisho0 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 19:09 So, what is the correct procedure about?
Pat
It's gonna take some research on your end to find the answer. If you went back in time and asked 10 different operators of the 049 Constellation, you would probably get 13 different answers! You will need to either find a real life operating manual, or the flight manual from Lockheed to possibly answer this. If they even published such detail back then.
Starting these engines is more "art" than science. I personally leave the primer running until after I advance the mixture. It seems both procedures work fine if done correctly. The fuel delivery system is very well modeled by A2A, I believe it's the only aircraft in FSX that can run with the mixture in CUTOFF and only using the priming system. I like to run the Connie on just the primer.. just because you can do it.
====>>>> I used to Primer Off after Mixture because I saw from too many Connie Startup tutorials. Scott turned Primer Off before Mixture. I also have seen some Connie Startup tutorial the Captain activates Inertia switch before Primer (crazy?).
trisho0 wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 21:47 I purchased Technobrain KOBE Airport scenery and I flew to RJTT Tokyo.
I don't have this airport in FSX. Neat!
CL is a valid NDB in my FSX, and is visible on Skyvector. The location and frequency match on both. CL does not exist according to PFPX. Perhaps a tuning error in this case?
====>>>> Sorry, what is PFPX? I will remove HYE and to add OSE 109.85 but I will test the Flight Plan with P3Dv4. FSX doesn't have CL navaids in my installed Plan-G

PFPX, Skyvector, and the FSX map: none of these can find a HYE VOR.
====>>>> Plan-G FSX P3D Discrepancies.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18AYKtM ... sp=sharing

Sounds like you're getting along very well.
====>>>> I am trying the best and many thanks for your guidance as well.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 09:51 I also have seen some Connie Startup tutorial the Captain activates Inertia switch before Primer (crazy?).
The difference is seconds and perhaps a cup of fuel. You won't destroy the engine.
trisho0 wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 21:47 ====>>>> Sorry, what is PFPX?
Its just a flight planning program like Plan-G
FSX doesn't have CL navaids in my installed Plan-G
Probably why you couldn't find it in FSX.
I see. Looks like I made an error reading your FPL. Was looking in the wrong place!

Here are the results of my investigation for the KISARAZU radio beacon:
PFPX (Navigraph) = missing
Skyvector = charted CL 200khz
FSX (modified navigation data) = exists as CL 200khz
Jeppesen data = missing!
RJTT AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication)(2010) = not charted? missing? link here:
https://yinlei.org/x-plane10/doc/AIP-J/ ... o_INTL.pdf
Google earth = can only identify it by the shadow of the antennae!! No idea if still powered...

Pat, you say Plan-G does not see it for FSX. That should mean it doesn't exist in your FSX.

Here are the results of my investigation for the YOKOSUKA radio beacon:
PFPX (Navigraph) = DME only (no VOR) HYD 116.20Mhz
Skyvector = VORDME HYD 116.20Mhz
2010 RJTT AIP (same link) = VORDME HYE 116.20Mhz
FSX (modified navigation data) = VORDME HYE 116.20Mhz
Jeppesen data = you can't even find it by searching for ID, you have to type the entire name! DME only (no VOR) HYD 116.20Mhz

So depending on exactly how it's been loaded into your sim, it's either a VORDME or just a DME (they shut the VOR down). And it's ID is either HYE or HYD, but it's frequency was (and still is) 116.20Mhz.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FSX doesn't have CL navaids in my installed Plan-G
Probably why you couldn't find it in FSX.
===> I could deactivate the purchased KOBE and see if the FSX KOBE Default shows CL navaids. Just curious.
I see. Looks like I made an error reading your FPL. Was looking in the wrong place!
===> Nope. You were looking right. Plan-G didn't look at correctly in FSX sim.

Here are the results of my investigation for the KISARAZU radio beacon:
PFPX (Navigraph) = missing
Skyvector = charted CL 200khz
FSX (modified navigation data) = exists as CL 200khz
Jeppesen data = missing!
RJTT AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication)(2010) = not charted? missing? link here:
https://yinlei.org/x-plane10/doc/AIP-J/ ... o_INTL.pdf
===> I found KISARAZU on page 71. For avoid entering KISARAZU CTR, aircraft is recommended ITC 9.1DME at or above 3000FT, ITC 6.0DME at or above 1500FT.
I don't see what kind of navaids info it is.

Google earth = can only identify it by the shadow of the antennae!! No idea if still powered...
===> Probably is the Sail Island (lol).

Pat, you say Plan-G does not see it for FSX. That should mean it doesn't exist in your FSX.
===> As before said, I will check FSX KOBE default. I will rebuild via Plan-G the database with the KOBE default and check. If CL navaids appears then leave it as is and try another trip. The problem will be when I have to rebuild Plan-G Database again due to another scenery installed. We'll see later on that.

Here are the results of my investigation for the YOKOSUKA radio beacon:
PFPX (Navigraph) = DME only (no VOR) HYD 116.20Mhz
Skyvector = VORDME HYD 116.20Mhz
2010 RJTT AIP (same link) = VORDME HYE 116.20Mhz
FSX (modified navigation data) = VORDME HYE 116.20Mhz
Jeppesen data = you can't even find it by searching for ID, you have to type the entire name! DME only (no VOR) HYD 116.20Mhz

So depending on exactly how it's been loaded into your sim, it's either a VORDME or just a DME (they shut the VOR down). And it's ID is either HYE or HYD, but it's frequency was (and still is) 116.20Mhz.
===> After the flight wasn't success (twice) I thought about "probably not a VOR/DME" even the icon showed as expected so, I removed HYE anyway but CL navaids. So, my concern was only with the CL at the end, never captured.
[/quote]
Radio Beacon or Navaids meaning about the same?
Pat

EDIT: Found my installed FSX SP2 doesn't have RJBE airport Default. Kobe Airport opened off Port Island in Kobe on February of 2006. This airport was constructed on the reclaimed land, adjacent to the Port Island which is also an artificial island in Kobe. So, how did you find RJBE (KOBE Airport) in FSX if the airport was released in October 13, 2006? Did FSX include RJBE on time, who knows.
Pat
Last edited by trisho0 on 26 Sep 2020, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

I doubt KOBE has any relation to the CL navaid, they are over 200nm apart. Your payware KOBE scenery should not extend that far.

Yes "radio beacon" is an older way to call "Navigation Aid=Navaid" they are the same. When you tuned 116.2 HYE did you hear morse code? Did the ILS or TO/FROM needles move? It sounds like you still need practice with VOR.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 15:29 I doubt KOBE has any relation to the CL navaid, they are over 200nm apart. Your payware KOBE scenery should not extend that far.

Yes "radio beacon" is an older way to call "Navigation Aid=Navaid" they are the same. When you tuned 116.2 HYE did you hear morse code? Did the ILS or TO/FROM needles move? It sounds like you still need practice with VOR.
CL radio beacon is 11nm near to RJTT you know. RJBE is located over than 200nm from RJTT as the Plan-G shows.
I never heard morse code beeps from HYE (NAV2) and never heard CL neither. I had the DRMI LF1 the Orange needle never moved. I was checking on the Plan-G map...... nah!, Connie kept straight flying as an Angel. I think Connie doesn't like Japanese flowers (lol).
I know I need more practice with VOR but to intercept navaids is not my responsibility, is it?. I think Connie radios need new battery (lol).
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”