Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by trisho0 »

My next flight plan will be as pictured if no changes needed. I will have to fly straight from DOZ navaids until Connie gets 10,000 ft altitude before following TBN navaids. I guess I am right (Andes Mountains). Plan-G recommends 24,000 ft but I think about 18,000 ft is good to go.

SAME (El Plumerillo)
DOZ 114.9/[email protected]
TBN 113.9/[email protected]
UE 220 KHz/[email protected]
AMB 116.1/[email protected]
SCEL ILS/17L/110.3/173

Trev, any comments and help for me before start?

Pat

EDIT: I flew and crossed mountains at 23K Altitude but I had to circle after passed the landing runway. I will repeat this flight but with AMB navaids removed.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

You dont need AMB. You can see UE lies in the ILS feather on PlanG so plan to fly from TBN to UE and intercept the ILS at that point or sooner.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 18:16 You dont need AMB. You can see UE lies in the ILS feather on PlanG so plan to fly from TBN to UE and intercept the ILS at that point or sooner.
I flew twice SAME-SCEL and I crossed mountains at 23K wow! Caucasus mountains near UGTB is joke (lol).
Trev, when is time to start descent? I did at 59nm from Arrival airport. Trev teaches me 23,000 = 23 x 3 +10. But I did at 700 fpm descending and still too high near the airport. I think I should descend at 1,000 fpm.
What do you recommend? Next will be:

SAME (El Plumerillo)
DOZ 114.9/[email protected] (I think this navaids can be deleted?) I used DOZ as a guide to flight straight climbing to 10,000 ft before turning to TBN.
TBN 113.9/[email protected]
UE 220KHz/[email protected]
SCEL ILS 17L 110.3/[email protected]

Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

First, the assumption is that you are landing on RWY 17 and not 35.
Second, that formula is based on descending at 1000 fpm.
If you were descending at 700 fpm because you were worried about babies crying you have not grasped the concept of cabin pressure. Any flight over 10,000 ft would required a pressurised cabin. Any flight with passengers regardless of height would require cabin pressure. So on takeoff you would set cabin pressure to your maximum height requirements, and on descent set cabin pressure to landing altitude. This will allow the plane to climb and descend at 1000 fpm. Again, this has all been covered previously.
Keep DOZ as it provides a radial to fly outbound towards TBN.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 19:47 First, the assumption is that you are landing on RWY 17 and not 35.
Second, that formula is based on descending at 1000 fpm.
If you were descending at 700 fpm because you were worried about babies crying you have not grasped the concept of cabin pressure. Any flight over 10,000 ft would required a pressurised cabin. Any flight with passengers regardless of height would require cabin pressure. So on takeoff you would set cabin pressure to your maximum height requirements, and on descent set cabin pressure to landing altitude. This will allow the plane to climb and descend at 1000 fpm. Again, this has all been covered previously.
Keep DOZ as it provides a radial to fly outbound towards TBN.
According to Plan-G, magnifying the runway I right-click over the runway and I get the ILS info also telling me what runway it is. So, rwy17L is correct not the 35.
Regarding on the pressured cabin I never had the formula but yes you mentioned about.
The info I have is:
Altitude = 2.326
Change Rate Goal = I always set 300 but don't know if it can be other setting. I know the maximum is 500
Altitude Goal = I guess to add 1,000 per each 10K Altitude so, I should set for Take-Off at 4,500 and to set at 1,600 for descending and landing. Please, correct me.
Good idea to keep DOZ in flight plan.
So sorry if I am giving you headaches (lol).
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

There is a table at the engineer's position about what canin pressure for cruise altitude required.
Regarding direction of landing, I was referring to wind direction. If there was a northerly wind, you would be landing on RWY 35. Therefore you would use AMB to overfly the runway and land from the South.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 20:57 There is a table at the engineer's position about what canin pressure for cruise altitude required.
Regarding direction of landing, I was referring to wind direction. If there was a northerly wind, you would be landing on RWY 35. Therefore you would use AMB to overfly the runway and land from the South.
I will check that table of cabin pressure, I must be blind damn!
Just flew SAME-SCEL and for the third time still altitude little high, no time to land anyway. Next flight as you said, to do GA and from the South to land on rwy35R which is the other side of the rwy17L.
Anyway here my new experience, I decided to let FE to do the cabin pressure job and I found the Engineer changed the cabin pressure gradually during Connie's climbing and also at descending.

Change Rate Goal = 412 from the range 300-500
Altitude Goal = FE was changing 2,326 on ground and on airborne gradually up to 11,475 and final descent was 1,995

I am not Engineer (lol).
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Trev, a video for analysis. Unfortunately the Plan-G map wasn't at the end from an unknown reason it closed by itself. So, here to see video instead of the flight plan SAME-SCEL.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iSvg33 ... sp=sharing

Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

SAME-SCEL flight plan a very nice challenge trip that I failed crazy because I flew with Thunderstorm, flashing lights, rain and all the natural weather bad conditions. Connie dancing all the flight and the passengers singing (lol).

Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Trev, I flew again SAME-SCEL and I was be able to land directly to runway instead of a GA. Even though, I used Sperry in Approach you need to see video to find what I did wrong on this flight.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UXfrcw ... sp=sharing

Happy landings ...
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Trev,
I flew today and followed this new plan:

KDCA Wash DC
DQO 114.0/[email protected]
RBV 113.8/[email protected]
KLGA La Guardia rwy04 - ILS - 110.5/045

Plan-G "black route line" told me I was landing on KEWER airport instead of KLGA. Who is wrong? Plan-G or this Chauffeur?

Here video for analysis ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvLDZN ... sp=sharing

Patricio

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Just flew a new plan,
LZTT
NIT 116.5/[email protected]
OKR 391 KHz/[email protected]
LZIB ILS rwy22/108.3/222

So far I know NDB is not DME but I was be able to have DME after OKR was intercepted and landed as expected. If I had DME is because the ILS is DME as well?
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Pat, you have been told about NDB's before. The are only a homing beacon.
The ILS will give you the DME.
Did you look for an ILS chart for that airport?
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 01:05 Pat, you have been told about NDB's before. The are only a homing beacon.
The ILS will give you the DME.
Did you look for an ILS chart for that airport?
Yes, you told me about NDB has no DME but I don't think you said the ILS has DME. Yes, that LZIB ILS rwy22/108.3/222 info came from Plan-G v3.2.2
Thanks for confirming my doubts about ILS has DME. So, I don't need VOR at the end of this flight plan.
What do you mean, The are only a homing beacon?
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Trev and FlapMan, please can you make a Connie's video of this fight plan?

LZIB Bratislava - Slovakia
SLC 114.0/[email protected]
PE 438 KHz/050@64nm
PPD 112.1/[email protected]
LZTT Poprad–Tatry - Slovakia

If you have a better flight plan please, disregard this.
Patricio

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”