Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by flapman »

Not training, just enjoyable flight.

This is my 3rd attempt, due to lost recording. Annoying, but gave me some practice. Also you didn't get to see my previous errors!
Enjoy,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iAYFQ3 ... sp=sharing

Here is the route: https://skyvector.com/?ll=36.3715392498 ... MOS%20LXGB

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 13:23 Not training, just enjoyable flight.

This is my 3rd attempt, due to lost recording. Annoying, but gave me some practice. Also you didn't get to see my previous errors!
Enjoy,
Hello FlapMan The Captain, I didn't get any message from this Forum as normally I get from Outlook. So, sorry not visiting here often, I had been busy dealing with P3Dv5.1 with some sceneries issues. I don't see your previous errors because no videos posted, I guess. I will watch on this one, your third attempt. What's happened with your previous recordings?

I am here now asking if it is realistic to have RAAS FS2Crew Pro with Connie? I think if the GPS device implemented with A2A Constellation is realistic then I assume the RAAS FS2Crew Pro can be implemented by myself.
I may fly same flight plan as yours later. I did one but shorter journey, you know.
Patricio

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi FlapMan, Great recording with FSX weakness (lol). You want P3dv4.5 or v5. On video I found something to start my comments, I can't say constructive because I am not the Master as FlapMan. You have many applications opened using Windows resources affecting the FSX performance. At high Rate sim speed like 4X I don't think is too bad for Fuel computing. While FSX is at Rate 4X or 8X (not higher speed) I don't touch instrument switches too much and panning the plane, or switching view, etc. After switching Rate back to normal speed, all get just fine. I think you are forcing too much with actions during high Rate speed.
I use Rate 4x and 8x only on Cruise time otherwise FSX mess my flight plan.

I noticed your procedures to crank engines is totally different than mine. Why did you increase the Throttles so high MP too many times. Connie engines may have to be replaced often (lol). The Manual doesn't agree the procedures of cranking engines as you did even though they worked just fine for Connie.
I like the use of the ATC but for me is very distractive.
Pilot Heat was Off all the journey.

I saw you did Altimeter calibration very instructive from the video but I don't know how to do that. I want to learn about.
Take-off was smooth but can be climbing up to 1500ftpm? I thought maximum to climb is 1000ftpm same as descending.

I learned to actuate quickly following LOC, glad to see that. From the FE Panel the Propeller Governor switch #1 has been using for adjustment. I thought the propellers 2, 3 and 4 must be adjusted following the #1 for matching them. You adjusted the Propeller #1 instead.

I noticed you moved the Engine Mixture down a little bit. What's that action for?
You planned to land on rwy27. I realized from your Charts that should be avoided to land on rwy09 as I did before.

You slowed Connie down 14MP/1400RPM in order to engage first Flap, learned this step, the more important thing in all my flights with Connie.
I used to do Vertical speed up to slow down the plane. I prefer your procedure.

Banging the plane too hard but within the limits, learned to do that as well.

Baby cried because the Pressurization Goals are not set as recommended. You showed me that before but on this flight you didn't even look at gauges near the FE Panel (lol).

I understood when you left RMI pointers to LF instead of leaving at VOR position. You don't want distraction, correct?
You ended video with a comment: no need to be Formula 1 (LOL). I do Formula 1 during TAXI I need to take it easy on my next flights slowing down.

I can say you would enjoy more with payware sceneries. But, better to get P3D 64Bit and later to grab your preferred sceneries to enjoy more, better graphics.

I will try to see what I get by repeating this same flight plan landing on rwy27.

Good Flight you made.
Patricio

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hi Pat,
glad you enjoyed the flight. it was a nice hop.
trisho0 wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 18:53I am here now asking if it is realistic to have RAAS FS2Crew Pro with Connie?
Can you explain what you believe means "realistic"? It means different things for different people. Connie never had RAAS system, so I don't know what you want.
I think if the GPS device implemented with A2A Constellation is realistic then I assume the RAAS FS2Crew Pro can be implemented by myself.
You can visit the Honeywell website and see for yourself what is required to install an RAAS system which they produce and sell. For this aircraft you will likely require Honeywell to custom design and seek government approval for the installation. Never mind there are zero L-49 models flying which they could install it into. You can decide just how much of that realism you want to incorporate. From Honeywell;
RAAS is available on the Primus Apex and Primus Epic platforms. It's an easy and fast software update to your Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning Systems (EGPWS) MK V, MK V-A, MK VII or Epic EGPWS Module (EGPWM).
Operators should contact Honeywell sales at the link below or an authorized Honeywell dealer to determine if a supplemental type certificate (STC) or service bulletin exists for a simple software upgrade.
Why do you want to install this system anyways?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi FlapMan, Regarding on RAAS I meant "realistic" as real time, real airplane. OK, the RAAS system never was implemented then I skip the idea to add RAAS for Connie because it will not be realistic or real tangible plane. I have the RAAS FS2Crew for PMDG and iFly Boeings, very nice.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FlapMan, after a long time no flights performed finally I did 2 more FSX Connie LTBQ-LTBA arrival practicing. I had to prepare myself to find where I was (lol). Video #6 and #7 for now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bwNOFk ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Clu4up ... sp=sharing

Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Thank you for the videos Pat,
trisho0 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 20:18Video #6 and #7 for now.
Localizer tracking skills are good on these videos. I want to make sure that you have a good understanding of basic flying procedures, because I need to ask you to perform them on this approach.
I would like you to take the role of instructor, and teach me how to fly the Connie for a bit.

Here is the situation: We are flying "straight and level." Straight means the Connie heading does not change. Level means the Connie altitude does not change (0 FPM). The autopilot is OFF. The airspeed is constant at 150 Knots. With the autopilot off, I can take my hands off all controls, and the Connie will not change much. It will fly the same heading, it will maintain the same altitude, it will maintain the same speed.

I now want to begin a straight descent. I want the heading to stay about the same. I want to decrease altitude at a rate somewhere between 500 and 800 FPM. I want my airspeed to remain constant at 150 Knots.

Can you tell me the steps to achieve this maneuver?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 20:39 Thank you for the videos Pat,
trisho0 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 20:18Video #6 and #7 for now.
Localizer tracking skills are good on these videos. I want to make sure that you have a good understanding of basic flying procedures, because I need to ask you to perform them on this approach.
I would like you to take the role of instructor, and teach me how to fly the Connie for a bit.

Here is the situation: We are flying "straight and level." Straight means the Connie heading does not change. Level means the Connie altitude does not change (0 FPM). The autopilot is OFF. The airspeed is constant at 150 Knots. With the autopilot off, I can take my hands off all controls, and the Connie will not change much. It will fly the same heading, it will maintain the same altitude, it will maintain the same speed.

I now want to begin a straight descent. I want the heading to stay about the same. I want to decrease altitude at a rate somewhere between 500 and 800 FPM. I want my airspeed to remain constant at 150 Knots.

Can you tell me the steps to achieve this maneuver?
I will prepare this new challenge and to report, indeed. But, I have concerns how to get engines running in a very icy conditions. So, I will find out and to start telling the steps in question.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:28I will prepare this new challenge and to report, indeed.
This is not a challenge. I am not requesting a video report. I would like you to write and explain the process which you use to start a descent, and to end a descent.
The procedure requires you to be at certain altitudes until certain points. It controls the path of Connie. On your first attempt at this approach you lost control of airspeed, and then lost control of altitude.
On both of these videos it looks like no attempt is made to follow the required altitudes. After BKZ Connie descends out of control into the ground. I am afraid if I ask you to control altitude you will do so incorrectly (like you did the first time) and will instead loose control of airspeed. So I want to make sure you actually know how to control altitude, without sacrificing airspeed control and falling to the ground anyways.

Edit: I watched attempt #7 again. It looks like you did make an attempt to follow the first altitude instruction, but you lost control of airspeed again. Just like #1 practice. Control of airspeed and altitude are lost and we fall to the ground.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 20:56
trisho0 wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:28I will prepare this new challenge and to report, indeed.
This is not a challenge. I am not requesting a video report. I would like you to write and explain the process which you use to start a descent, and to end a descent.
The procedure requires you to be at certain altitudes until certain points. It controls the path of Connie. On your first attempt at this approach you lost control of airspeed, and then lost control of altitude.
On both of these videos it looks like no attempt is made to follow the required altitudes. After BKZ Connie descends out of control into the ground. I am afraid if I ask you to control altitude you will do so incorrectly (like you did the first time) and will instead loose control of airspeed. So I want to make sure you actually know how to control altitude, without sacrificing airspeed control and falling to the ground anyways.
OK, I know I should be at 4,000 ft altitude right on beacon BKZ and I am trying to be on time.
So, before BKZ I have time to set course 234 in VOR2 and immediately switching to VOR1 and wait to follow LOC. Soon, I can see the VOR2 RMI pointer will start turning away so VOR1 pointer takes place and I follow LOC. I am right above BKZ beacon so I start the descends to be from 4,000 ft to 1,425 ft altitude. So, I reduce MP to 21 and RPM to 2100 or less like 1800. I disengage Sperry system (AP Off) and keep descending at VS of 500fpm - 1000fpm range. Since I see the Airspeed doesn't go down in order to activate the first flap I pitch the plane up like VS above 0 fpm or near to 500fpm in order to bring the airspeed down to 170 knots so I can set the first flap down. By then I am still descending to 1,425 ft until I have DME at 5nm and apply Gear down and immediately increase the MP from 21 to 24 and RPM 2300. This is what I am intended to do. Then at DME 4nm I arm flaps Approach and descends to VS 700 ft. I am still following LOC. When I am near the runway to land (Radios Marker sounds) I set the final flap down watching at PAPI lights that barely I can see 2 White with 2 Red so no Glideslope and no smooth landing. When Connie is on Flare (10 ft near touchdown) I quickly arm Throttle Off.
I know I am not doing this procedure exactly in all my attempts just because only my damn issue with Airspeed control to get the first Flap armed.
Pat

EDIT: I forgot to mention that occasionally I trim up/down when Sperry is Off in order to stay at altitude as intended.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

This helps to explain a lot what is happening.
trisho0 wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 22:43OK, I know I should be at 4,000 ft altitude right on beacon BKZ and I am trying to be on time.
This is correct. You should already be less than 170 knots by BKZ so it should not be much trouble to reduce speed for first flap.
So, before BKZ I have time to set course 234 in VOR2 and immediately switching to VOR1 and wait to follow LOC. Soon, I can see the VOR2 RMI pointer will start turning away so VOR1 pointer takes place and I follow LOC. I am right above BKZ beacon so I start the descends to be from 4,000 ft to 1,425 ft altitude. So, I reduce MP to 21 and RPM to 2100 or less like 1800. I disengage Sperry system (AP Off) and keep descending at VS of 500fpm - 1000fpm range.
this is all OK. I think you should not need less than 2100 RPM as skill increases but it is fine.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that I need holding power of 14"/1400 to slow the Connie. Yeah, 18/1800 or even less is probably required.
Since I see the Airspeed doesn't go down in order to activate the first flap I pitch the plane up like VS above 0 fpm or near to 500fpm in order to bring the airspeed down to 170 knots so I can set the first flap down.
Ideal situation, you should already be below 170 before leaving BKZ. But there is plenty of time to complete this process, you have shown that multiple times. You can hold 4,000 but I do not suggest climb. Maintain present altitude and let speed reduce, extend flaps, then begin descent. This is not a hard approach into UGTB through mountains, there is room.
By then I am still descending to 1,425 ft until I have DME at 5nm and apply Gear down and immediately increase the MP from 21 to 24 and RPM 2300. This is what I am intended to do.
This is OK.
Then at DME 4nm I arm flaps Approach and descends to VS 700 ft. I am still following LOC.
This is the problem. You forget an important event that happens at 4nm. It is the distance at which you are first allowed to be below 1,425ft. If you reach 1,425ft and you have not yet reached 4nm DME you must stop the descent and fly level and wait until 4nm (actually 3.9nm but it is close enough). This is why the approach fails. In both practice you let altitude decrease before allowed distance. You do not stop the descent. It is why I judge you falling to ground.
When I am near the runway to land (Radios Marker sounds)
We are talking about the blue light "outer marker" sound. It occurs at 3.9nm for this runway. You must be at 1,425ft the instant this light illuminates and the marker beacons sound is heard. It is here you are allowed to begin descent lower than 1,425ft, no sooner. The next part has other errors which explain why these approaches are failing.
I set the final flap down watching at PAPI lights that barely I can see 2 White with 2 Red so no Glideslope and no smooth landing.
You have missed another step. Only set approach flaps here (2nd). Your most important goal is to descend to 710ft. After you start this descent you begin to look for PAPI. But you must watch the altitude. If altitude indicates 710ft and you do not see 2 white 2 red you must stop descent. You must fly level at 710ft and wait until you see PAPI 2 white 2 red. This altitude has a special name, it is called "MDA=Minimum Descent Altitude." There is a very long list of real requirements which must be met before you are allowed by law to descend below MDA, but in effect once you wait until 2 white 2 red PAPI for this runway you have met all of them.
In both videos I watch Connie descend below 710ft and no 2 white 2 red PAPI, I judge Connie is falling to the ground out of control. Because you do not stop descent you do not allow Connie to fly to location and altitude combination which which will show the required PAPI colors. It's why you miss it.
Final flap is only extended when you judge you will safely make the runway without any fear you will land short of it.
When Connie is on Flare (10 ft near touchdown) I quickly arm Throttle Off.
You can do this any time below 50ft (as called by voice=above runway), not 10. You don't have to pull throttles hard either, you can gently reduce them. But they must be idle when the wheels first touch. There is skill involved with this. But the skills of being at the correct altitudes, distances, and waiting for PAPI are much more important. I judge your touchdown to be safe (although one was too far down the runway... but much better than your other attempts)
I know I am not doing this procedure exactly in all my attempts just because only my damn issue with Airspeed control to get the first Flap armed.
Pat
I think there was misunderstanding of procedure too.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FlapMan, this is the very best Lesson learned from a long time. I will practice this LTBA Arrival again. Thanks so much.
Patricio

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 00:48
Then at DME 4nm I arm flaps Approach and descends to VS 700 ft. I am still following LOC.
This is the problem. You forget an important event that happens at 4nm. It is the distance at which you are first allowed to be below 1,425ft. If you reach 1,425ft and you have not yet reached 4nm DME you must stop the descent and fly level and wait until 4nm (actually 3.9nm but it is close enough). This is why the approach fails. In both practice you let altitude decrease before allowed distance. You do not stop the descent. It is why I judge you falling to ground.
I had problems at home and no flying.
After DME 4nm I start descending but you said I must to stop descent. I am confused now. When to start descending to 710 ft ALT then? I thought to start descending right after DME 4nm until I get 710 ft altitude and keep the level until I see PAPI lights accordingly.
Patricio

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 18 May 2021, 20:52I had problems at home and no flying.
I am sorry to hear that, and I hope things become better soon.
After DME 4nm I start descending but you said I must to stop descent.
Yes.
I am confused now.
Yes.
When to start descending to 710 ft ALT then?
After passing "Outer Marker" which has sound and blue light. It happens at 3.9nm DME from I-ATA Localizer.
I thought to start descending right after DME 4nm until I get 710 ft altitude and keep the level until I see PAPI lights accordingly.
Patricio
All correct.

You should make this flight from takeoff, not your save. You maybe forget how to find BKZ and Hold otherwise.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

After passing "Outer Marker" blue sound I am very near to runway for landing so, no time to start descend to 710 ft. But, I will try again from saved flight. If success then I will repeat the whole flight plan again.
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”