Engineer Carb Anti-Ice

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
ADFGVX
Airman

Engineer Carb Anti-Ice

Post by ADFGVX »

The last two flights I had a carb ice warning and with the anti-ice switches on the engineer panel I supposed he would take care of that, he did not. Now I wonder if he in fact does not handle that, if it is an error in my installation or if it just takes some time until the engineer deems anti-ice to be necessary , because in both cases the ice warning was only there for about 5 minutes.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engineer Carb Anti-Ice

Post by flapman »

I know this might be nonsensical, but I believe those would be the incorrect switches for this situation. Despite the fact they are labeled "Carb Anti-Ice." They are for another type of icing, which affects a different part of the carburetor. I believe what you encountered was traditional "carburetor icing" which is different.

I don't use the Virtual Flight Engineer, so I can't comment on that. But I know from reading the forums his command of the panel isn't complete for all flight conditions.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I do not rely on the FE to do his job either. That said you can control carb ice in two methods. Depending on flight stage, altitude, current conditions you can use the carb heat levers or use the Carb Anti-Ice switches momentarily. The switches will almost immediately take care of the problem but if icing conditions continue you will need to keep watching and switching them on. The carb heat levers might be enough to crack them to 15-20% until conditions improve. As a new Connie Captain way back when and letting the FE run things I do remember seeing the icing warning and turning the switches on only to have him turn them off post-haste. I believe the FE is programed to wait until icing is becoming detrimental before taking action.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

ADFGVX
Airman

Post by ADFGVX »

With those insights you both gave I think I can now be quite sure what was happening, thanks

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”