Cockpit Mouseology

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Cockpit Mouseology

Post by TreeTops »

Just got my first flight done yesterday in the new Connie. So much has already been said about this beauty and I agree with it all. I absolutely love the way it rolls into and out of banks.

Now to my little issue.
Rolling the mouse wheel over the AP pitch knob gives me unpredictable outcomes. I never know if I will get a positive or negative increment. No such problem with the rudder knob. I haven't touched the aileron knob as yet. Am I doing something wrong? It is my first flight after all.

Rob, I did raise the point way back with the Strat about the way we use switches with the mouse and how the FE would operate them. Take the cowl flaps for instances, I would think the FE would push all four together if there was major adjustments, like just before takeoff closing them up and then fine tune individually. I suggested the option of right clicking and pushing or pulling one switch to replicate the action of moving all switches but nothing was done. Could there be any consideration into this or would this not be a real action by the FE?
Thanks for your consideration.
Trev

Now it's into the cockpit for a full flight up to altitude for me. Valdez to Juneau or perhaps Ketchikan as an alternate.
Cheers
Trev

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Cockpit Mouseology

Post by FAC257 »

Treetops

There are currently two way to move all of the flap switches simultaneously.
You can use the gang flaps above and below the switch banks, or you can go to the 2D Controls Panel and use the +&- indicators next to any flap. As long as all the flaps are active on the 2D, they will move in unison.

FAC
FAC257

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

How about that. Staring me right in the face. Just like lots of other things in the new plane I'm sure. Definitely more comfortable in the Strat at this stage. :)
Thanks for pointing that out.
Trev
Cheers
Trev

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Just trying out a bit more on the ground with the AP elevator knob.
Rolling the mouse wheel forward shows positive increments for rudder and aileron. Elevator shows the reverse, yet the trim indicator appears correct. Rolling the mouse wheel back drives the trim indicator down yet the tooltip shows positive increments.
Cheers
Trev

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

I think you are okay.

Rolling the elevator trim wheel downwards/back is adding nose up/positive trim. Rolling it upwards/forward would be adding nose down/negative trim.

FAC
FAC257

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Its the reverse of the rudder and aileron, in tooltip increments.

Rudder - roll wheel forward - increase degrees of heading.
Aileron - roll wheel forward - increase percentage of bank to the right.
Elevator - roll wheel forward - decrease percentage of pitch - trim indicator rising.

The trim indicator shows rising thus pitching up, yet the tooltip shows a decreasing, or pitching down.
Cheers
Trev

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

We may be looking at two different things.

When I roll the trim wheel forward with the mouse I am getting more negative ToolTip numbers, which would equate to more nose down trim, and is what the actual VC trim wheel is doing.

FAC
FAC257

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Results of rolling the mouse wheel forward.

Cheers
Trev

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Trev.
The art horizon and the elevator trim marker are working correctly , the ref point goes down ,as you pitch the aircraft up.
But i have found a bug , as i use a switch via the configurator , i had up on a switch for aircraft climb , and down for decent, when i came to use it on a flight last night and pressed this switch down it climbed instead of decending, as the configurator is cross connecting the controls on ele trim.
regards alan. 8)

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

1. Mouse wheel down (or forward) makes the plane to dive as one would move the yoke forward (down).

2. Use gang switches to control all switches at a time.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Randall
Airman

Post by Randall »

I think I know what the OP means. I have noticed the same thing:

When using the mouse middle wheel to increase/decrease elevator knob for the autopilot, I experience the following:

Let's say I want to adjust the autopilot elevator control to make the aircraft nose go down. I put the mouse over the elevator control knob, move the middle wheel of the mouse once click forward, which should result in the yoke moving forward slightly, and the nose pointing down slightly. The tool tip should show a lower number once the mouse wheel moves one click forward. However, what usually happens is the one click forward of the mouse wheel results in the opposite movement--nose raises, tool tip number increases. Click forward again, and the situation returns to what it was before the click, then one more click results in the proper movement.

This essentially results in the need to move the mouse wheel three clicks forward to get the nose to go down one unit.

The reverse is true when trying to raise the nose with the elevator control knob.

It is difficult to describe.

Overall, it is just a very minor annoyance. Once you know what to expect, you can be ready for it.

By the way, I notice the same type of behavior on the PMDG NGX when using the mouse wheel to change the elevator trim on the trim wheel.

--Randall Griffin

blillpers
Senior Airman

Post by blillpers »

I've got the same. Slightly irritating.

jbirdsal
Airman

Post by jbirdsal »

+1 As noted above, the inconsistency with which it varies [0,+1,0,-3,-4] suggests a bug rather than design feature. The initial vector when using the mouse scroll feature on the Sperry autopilot is occasionally opposite the commanded direction, or occasionally skips settings [0,-4 (on one click), -5 etc]. Never really know what its gonna do when making a pitch command. Not a disabling problem by any means; it recovers quickly enough. You do have to watch it like a hawk following any input...

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Guys, I can't confirm this on my end. I mean getting random values when using the mouse wheel on the AP Elevator Control. Could you make a dedicated thread for this? I don't think this is what OP initially reported.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Hi Rob, Actually this is the most import part of my OP. The uncertainty of the elevator trim knob when rolling the mouse wheel over it.
The rest of the thread got taken up with my second comment.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”