radios

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: radios

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
The GPS that can be fitted on the connie glareshield is a guide for your flight plan , but the real connie never had a GPS , it was the old school of navigation.
Also if you use the sperry auto pilot , this is basically a straight an level type of auto pilot , that needs constant trimming , you idealy need to disconnect the auto pilot turn to new hdg then re engage auto pilot .
the nav morse ident will only sound when you are in range of the nav aide you are tuned to , it is important because if two nav aides on route have same freq , then the ident becomes import to veryfy you are tuned and following the correct nav aide as the idents will be different .
regards alan. 8)

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

alan CXA651 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 02:21 Hi.
The connie is fitted with old style radios , they DO NOT have the option to turn the morse off modern nav equip have the ident on/off button
These switches turn on and off the beepy beeps for me. :)

If those are off in the connie, and the beeps continue, maybe the user in question has a saved flight with an aircraft that has the nav1 ident 'on'. (and has this flight as a default flight)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi maddz.
Those switches marked NAV and ADF turn of more than the idents they are the NAV ADF masters, the Avionic master for ALL the avionics is behind the navs seat on rear bulkhead.
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 08:52 Hi trisho0.
The GPS that can be fitted on the connie glareshield is a guide for your flight plan , but the real connie never had a GPS , it was the old school of navigation.
Also if you use the sperry auto pilot , this is basically a straight an level type of auto pilot , that needs constant trimming , you idealy need to disconnect the auto pilot turn to new hdg then re engage auto pilot .
the nav morse ident will only sound when you are in range of the nav aide you are tuned to , it is important because if two nav aides on route have same freq , then the ident becomes import to veryfy you are tuned and following the correct nav aide as the idents will be different .
regards alan. 8)
Dear Master Alan, No GPS then is more real, cool. Regarding on Autopilot I never did with Connie since I started learning this Bird a week ago even I had installed A2A Connie I think over than 2 years ago. I used to give up with Connie and stayed with PMDG. Now is Connie my goal to learn more. I was be able to stay on airborne flying for a long time without burning the engines and as soon I see a runway on the way I perform Approach and landing. But no GPS so no directions just like a free bird (lol). I am continuing practicing this amazing Connie. About the Morse beeping I will have to find a way to reduce the Morse volume sound without affecting the others sound.
Thanks, Patricio

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

alan CXA651 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 10:09 Hi maddz.
Those switches marked NAV and ADF turn of more than the idents they are the NAV ADF masters, the Avionic master for ALL the avionics is behind the navs seat on rear bulkhead.
regards alan. 8)
Alan, i show here that ALL switches in off position, but ILS and NDB are still active and ON.(because the avionics master is ON). Then i Switch on the nav 1 switch and the ILS morse is heard, followed by tuning the NDB, witch is also being being received with switch in the off position. The ndb morse can also be heard when i switch that switch to ON.

Conclusion: These switches are NOT the Master switch, but are indeed the NAV, NDB (Ect) identifier switches.

All radios are on, or off, dependant on the Avionics master....you can't have 1 on and 1 off....all on or all off.

https://youtu.be/NcEpI3HPRIs

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I did another FPL of Connie with EGLL-EGCC and I entered CRS=53 with ILS=113.55 but the bird looked like dancing around looking for a house? (lol). What can be wrong with this flight? For the first time I learned the use of Autopilot but the plane didn't follow ILS. I must be doing something abnormal. Any thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mqcdn8 ... sp=sharing

Editing: I realized I didn't activate the Autopilot in the FE. I will try another flight.
Last edited by trisho0 on 04 Apr 2020, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi maddz.
I stand corrected , its been a while since i flew the connie , i think this does not work this way on the real connie , it might just be a P3D/FSX radio/nav workaround to stop the ident noise , while making the radio/nav equipment look like the real ones , i would expect them switches in the real world to isolate individual nav / radio equipment if a failure occured in flight.
regards alan. 8)

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

alan CXA651 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:01 Hi maddz.
I stand corrected , its been a while since i flew the connie , i think this does not work this way on the real connie , it might just be a P3D/FSX radio/nav workaround to stop the ident noise , while making the radio/nav equipment look like the real ones , i would expect them switches in the real world to isolate individual nav / radio equipment if a failure occured in flight.
regards alan. 8)
I do not have the Connie and I'm not likely to get it...not a bomber command guy :wink:

However I'll bet dollars to donuts that the real Connie works exactly that way. That's just a standard, period correct audio switch panel. There's one on each side so the Captain and FO can select which radios they want to listen to independent of the other. The only time you'd listen to the morse code identifier would for confirmation of the correct identifier upon tuning a new station. Put another way, there's no way Mr. Lockheed would plan an airliner where both pilots would have to listen to all the repetitive morse code identifiers for hours upon hours... :D

I had a look at the manual, which contains some REALLY GOOD INFORMATION btw @trisho0...and it appears to me that the only avionics isolation switches for both COMs, both NAVs and both ADFs are the two ADF on/off switches and the Avionincs Master switch. There's no real need to isolate a failed radio...it either works...or not......

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Trish, I'm happy to see you've been successful with the flight engineer and RPM switch!

MkIV Hvd wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:38 not a bomber command guy :wink:
We're gonna have to work on that!

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:52 Trish, I'm happy to see you've been successful with the flight engineer and RPM switch!
MkIV Hvd wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:38 not a bomber command guy :wink:
We're gonna have to work on that!
Thanks AAWar, I will check on how really the Autopilot works. PMDG, iFly, Level-D easy AP just activate it and the plane handles the Altitude nicely.
Regarding on the RPM switch, can we make a shorcut for the RPM? I am a right hand KBSim joystick. To reach and activate the RPM switch I have to deal with keyboard + mouse so, releasing momentarilly the joystick very quickly.
The asigment of a RPM switch would be a great help especially on climbing.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:38I do not have the Connie and I'm not likely to get it...not a bomber command guy :wink:
You'd be surprised at how good the Connie is.
alan CXA651 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 02:21 Hi.
The connie is fitted with old style radios , they DO NOT have the option to turn the morse off modern nav equip have the ident on/off button, the only two ways to turn the morse off on old radios is to .
1/. turn the NAV or ADF OFF then you have NO nav aides not a good idea.
2/. tune to a different freq , again this is not good as you need the nav aides on your route
regards alan. 8)
The continuous radio you're thinking of is the "beam", where if you are centered you get a continuous tone, it starts making a Morse A on one side and a Morse N on the other. This caused deafness in pilots who had to use one earphone to listen to this tone all the time. Thank your lucky stars we don't have that ourselves.

The Connie has some excellent radio navigation equipment and instruments. Don't need a GPS. :)

Trish: The autopilot in the Connie is pretty rudimentary. It will hold a heading and a pitch, not much more. Since you'll be using the radios to navigate and you can't slave the autopilot to a radio, the two settings it has is really all you need. Typically I only activate the heading and control pitch (therefore altitude) manually.

Edit. Hm, come to think of it, I've never activated the rudder or the pitch.

The input configurator has a setting for the RPM switch. I've got mine set to a two way switch on my throttle control. (If I remember correctly, I haven't flown in a while.)

Hook

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

And if you don't have hardware buttons that you can assign to the prop switch then you can use FSX key shortcuts to change prop RPM. Default is control+F2 for decrease and control +F3 for increase RPM, but you can change it to whatever you want.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

From this thread I learned the use of Autopilot but don't know yet what is AP feature designed for if not to maintain the ALTITUDE.
About the RPM switch shortcuts I will check on FSX so I can apply in the P3Dv4 sim.

I found from Connie Maintenance Hangar the engines condition as excellent but Mechanics Notes shows "There are signs of Detonation damage".
If an engine is in excellent conditions it doesn't make sense how will the plane will fly with signs of detonation damages? I restore all engines before start up.

Does the G.P.U. have to be activated only from FE?
Am I doing right with engines start up with:
Inertia=20 seconds waiting
Prime= 5 seconds waiting

before engage the engine?
As I am practicing this is what I am doing after experienced that sometimes the engine won't crank.
Happy fly to all Pilots ...

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Sorry, I either forgot or didn't realize you were using P3D. It looks like there isn't a default incremental decrease key command but increase is control+F3. I'm sure you can assign your own commands in P3D just the same as FSX.

The GPU is connected/turned on at the FE panel.

When starting, flip the switch for the inertia starter and wait until you hear it's speed is highest (only really applicable to the first engine since you won't be able to hear after that, but you can count off how many seconds that takes and apply it to the others).

Once the starter spooled up then click the prime switch, then go right to the starter engage switch. Mags on, and once the engine starts then move the mixture control to auto rich and turn the primer off.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The autopilot is intended to maintain a heading. It doesn't know anything about altitudes. It can only maintain a pitch and it is up to you to determine what that pitch should be to maintain the altitude you want.

Most of the damage is not ON/OFF. Something might be slightly damaged and still function. The engines wear out over time.

I run the inertia for 20 seconds, then turn on prime and the starter switch. After 2 to 3 seconds I switch the mags to both for that engine. In cold weather you may have to start priming earlier. In very cold weather you set mixture auto rich when priming, but you won't encounter temperatures that low unless you're really far north in the winter. If you have flooded the engine (shown in the Shift-7 panel) you don't prime at all.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”