radios

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: radios

Post by trisho0 »

AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:47 Sorry, I either forgot or didn't realize you were using P3D. It looks like there isn't a default incremental decrease key command but increase is control+F3. I'm sure you can assign your own commands in P3D just the same as FSX.

The GPU is connected/turned on at the FE panel.

When starting, flip the switch for the inertia starter and wait until you hear it's speed is highest (only really applicable to the first engine since you won't be able to hear after that, but you can count off how many seconds that takes and apply it to the others).

Once the starter spooled up then click the prime switch, then go right to the starter engage switch. Mags on, and once the engine starts then move the mixture control to auto rich and turn the primer off.
Thanks, thnaks, thanks ...... I just assigned the Buttom 12 from KBSim Joystick but had to close P3Dv4 as soon as I saw the email message so here now.
I will check if the new Prop RPM decrease shortcut works in P3dv4. I will check on FSX sim as well.
I did the same procedures with engines starting except that I turned Primer Off first before Mixture Control to Auto rich position.
Also, I have seen in somewhere inside of A2A Forum some Pilot starts with engine 3 and others with engire 4. From my flights I have the sequence as engine 4, 1, 3 and 2.
Does it make any differences?
Thanks for your guidance

Edit #1: to decrease RPM I have the option CRTL + F2 according to the info posted in this thread. I can hold the RPM switch down in the Connie's Cabin in order to decrease the revolution. But, the shortcut CRTL = F2 pushes the RPM switch down and it stays down. Is there from the Asignment Options the right selection to activate the RPM switch so it can be handled like the mouse does? I mean to use a shortcut to decrease RPM but do not keep decreasing by itself.
Edit #2: found solution for the RPM shortcut. I activate from joystick the assigned CRTL+F2 to decrease the Revolution but as the rpm keeps reducing more and more I hit the other shortcut CRTL+F3 to stop. If I press again the shortcut CRTL+F3 then it will increase the rpm and it keeps increasing until I hit the CTRL+F2 which it will stop. So, now the RPM can be handled similar to via mouse over the RPM switch from Pedestal.
Last edited by trisho0 on 04 Apr 2020, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hook wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:52 The autopilot is intended to maintain a heading. It doesn't know anything about altitudes. It can only maintain a pitch and it is up to you to determine what that pitch should be to maintain the altitude you want.

Most of the damage is not ON/OFF. Something might be slightly damaged and still function. The engines wear out over time.

I run the inertia for 20 seconds, then turn on prime and the starter switch. After 2 to 3 seconds I switch the mags to both for that engine. In cold weather you may have to start priming earlier. In very cold weather you set mixture auto rich when priming, but you won't encounter temperatures that low unless you're really far north in the winter. If you have flooded the engine (shown in the Shift-7 panel) you don't prime at all.

Hook
So I have to take care of Altitudes and Triming accordingly to keep the planned ALT right?
I do the same procedures with Inertia, Primer, Engage, Magneto, Primer Off and Mixture to Auto Rich.
I will see if at the end of this procedure I have to Primer Off after Mixture Control to Auto rich is set.
Later I will have to learn how to do ILS landings. For I keep flying around and to land on a visible runway. Connie is not intended to do that way I know.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

trisho0 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 18:07 Also, I have seen in somewhere inside of A2A Forum some Pilot starts with engine 3 and others with engire 4. From my flights I have the sequence as engine 4, 1, 3 and 2.
Thanks for your guidances
For our purposes here it doesn't matter what order you start the engines. Normal four engine start sequence in real life is usually 3, 4, 2, 1, or sometimes 2, 1, 3, 4.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 18:56
trisho0 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 18:07 Also, I have seen in somewhere inside of A2A Forum some Pilot starts with engine 3 and others with engire 4. From my flights I have the sequence as engine 4, 1, 3 and 2.
Thanks for your guidances
For our purposes here it doesn't matter what order you start the engines. Normal four engine start sequence in real life is usually 3, 4, 2, 1, or sometimes 2, 1, 3, 4.
I see... OK I will do 4,1, 3 and 2. The engine sound from the end of wings first so I don't smell too much smoke (lol).
Where is Cabin light switch?
I can't figure yet how ILS works so, I keep practicing flying around. I ebtered CRS 53 and ILS 113.55 and the plane keeps turning and turning ...

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
The connie will not fly the ILS beam , it is for you the pilot to follow the indicator beam , all you do , is set the ILS freq in the nav1 or 2 on the center ped below the coms radios , then on pilots/copilots panels , depending which seat you are flying from there is a switch below the omni gauge marked 1 / 2 if ILS tuned to 1 then select 1 on the switch if ILS tuned to 2 then put switch in 2 , then YOU fly the beam to keep it as centered as you can.
Manual page 113 items 10 and 14 for pilots panel
page 115 items 16 for nav ILS freq
page117 items 9 and 14 co-pilots panel
Engine start sequence on the connie depends on cabin temp , if in career mode you have to look at cabin temp , if too cold , you need to run eng 1 or 4 or both to warm the cabin BEFORE pax board aircraft , but normal start sequence is 3,4, disconnect ground power then 2,1 reason for disconnecting GPU before starting 2,1 is ground crew safty , look where it is in relation to prop on eng 2.
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Aviationatwar.
AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:47 The GPU is connected/turned on at the FE panel
GPU can only be turned on by you the pilot via shift+3 popup menu , if you select the FE to prepare the aircraft , he does it on BATT only , the FEs panel will monitor GPU supplying power only , after you have turned it on , via shift+3 .
regards alan. 8)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

You do not need to run an engine to warm the cabin You do need to run one to cool the cabin if it is too hot. Start number 4, NOT number 1, as 1 is on the same side as the passengers load and while rare it IS possible for a passenger to wander into the prop. This happened to me in the Stratrocruiser once.

Typically if I've started engine 4 to cool the cabin, my start sequence for the other engines will be 1, 2 and 3. There is a problem that the number 4 engine will cause the aircraft to creep forward on the right side and starting the left engines after the passengers are loaded before the inboard right engine will mostly straighten the plane out.

I'm fairly certain that the automated engineer will start the GPU if you've given him control and have not interfered with his workflow.

Hook

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Hook.
Hook wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 01:16 I'm fairly certain that the automated engineer will start the GPU if you've given him control and have not interfered with his workflow.
Hook
No he wont , i have tried it not long ago before i answered aviationatwar , as i could not remember if FE did or did not start GPU.
regards alan. 8)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

What happens if you never start the GPU? Because the checklist I use has nothing about the pilot starting the GPU himself.

Hook

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Hook.
Basically you are running the batteries down , if you take to long , you will not have enough battery power to start one of the engines , once one engine is running the FE puts that gen on line , then that gen + batt are suppling power for the next engine and once two gens on line the power from the two gens should be enough to start the other two engines and recharge the batteries.
regards alan. 8)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

My engineer always start the GPU.
If I have the time, I’ll check later

I use FSE SE, but I don’t think there’s a difference.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

yes, the FE will start the GPU once the battery volts get below a certain voltage.

I made some panels a while ago, that show batt volts, batt charge, batt discharge, gen amps, batt amp draw, witch engine is selected, fuel pressure, oil temp and pressure ect ect the list goes on......to enable me to remain in the pilot seat, without moving around everywhere ( then chaseplane arrived....but kept them anyway)

Very handy is the inertia wheel speed gauge. Once the inertia wheel is at its peak, a ''start'' light will flash, visually telling you to hit the starter ...no counting, or trying to hear when its at peak speed.

I also made a small panel to tell me whats going on with the passenger cabin IE cab temp, and other things, so i can get the cab to 20 degress before allowing the passengers to board. A cold cabin causes passengers to moan, and can go against you in career mode.

I made a quick video to show it:
(panel enlarged for better viewing)

https://youtu.be/8YVmJ9mftko

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 01:06 Hi Aviationatwar.
AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:47 The GPU is connected/turned on at the FE panel
GPU can only be turned on by you the pilot via shift+3 popup menu ,
I remembered there being a switch next to the GPU light and voltmeter on the FE panel but there isn't one, I checked this morning. The switch was there at some point during development though, look! It would be nice if we could have it back.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Aviationatwar.
Dont tell me , its a covid19 shortage , some people will nick anything if you let em. :lol:
I wonder when that was taken out and why!!!!. :roll:
regards alan. 8)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 04:08Basically you are running the batteries down , if you take to long , you will not have enough battery power to start one of the engines
I didn't mean theoretically. I meant what actually happened in your Connie if you didn't do it. I think we all know it's possible to run a battery down.

I notice that screen shot has APU with a switch while the current aircraft has GPU without one . Are there different models? When was our last update?

Hook

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”