radios

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: radios

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:49 Excellent!
Let's fire up FSX!

On the left side of the start screen, you see the regular options for "FREE FLIGHT," "MISSIONS," and "MULTIPLAYER." Those are probably all features you've used before. Below them you will find the option LEARNING CENTER.
Click that, and you will see a screen with buttons for various topics. At the top are tabs, labelled KEY TOPICS, SITE MAP, INDEX, LESSONS.
If you scroll down the KEY TOPICS page, you can click various Articles such as "Navigation" and "Autopilot"
After reading some articles (I suggest AUTOPILOT, NAVIGATION>"What You Need to Know About VOR", "Automatic Direction Finder", "The Radio Magnetic Indicator") click the LESSONS tab. I suggest you next take the lessons PRIVATE PILOT>"Lesson 3: VOR Navigation," and "INSTRUMENT PILOT>Lesson 1:The VOR Approach," Then "INSTRUMENT PILOT>Lesson 2: The ILS Approach"

Each of these lessons includes a lengthy article which discusses the concepts and procedures which will be used for that lesson. Read that briefing, then click FLY THIS LESSON NOW at the bottom.

Enjoy! Oh, all this also applies to the PMDG 737NGX! Learning the A2A Lockheed Constellation involves understanding how that specific cockpit interacts with these ground facilities, just as it does for the 737. :fsx:
Cool! there it goes. I will check those lessons from FSX to get a better knowledge about VOR and Radios. Thanks

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 02:13 Thanks, Alan. I found it when I knew where to look. I checked the manual and the Shift-3 panel allows you to switch between Sperry and FSX autopilot. I never knew that was there, but in the video it had voice prompts so it had to come from the A2A Connie.

Hook
That video had the worse flight in the Planet. But, always we have someting to find and learn.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

trisho0 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:53 That video had the worse flight in the Planet. But, always we have someting to find and learn.
I doubt many of us were any better when we first started. :D

Hook

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 17:58
trisho0 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:53 That video had the worse flight in the Planet. But, always we have someting to find and learn.
I doubt many of us were any better when we first started. :D

Hook
Yep, now I am trying to learn VOR to VOR. It seems to me very confusing.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

When I'm flying VOR to VOR in the Connie, I tune one VOR in front of me and one behind. Then I set the two needles on the main instrument so that one arrow points to the VOR in front, the other points to the one in back. If the two needles are on top of each other, I'm flying a course directly between the two VORs.

When I pass over the front VOR and that needle points behind, I tune the VOR that was previously in back to another VOR in front and line up the needles again. Repeat until you're at your destination.

I find this particular instrument very useful and easy to use but it's not typically how the VORs operate, so you might not find documentation on doing it this way. You can also tune an NDB and put it on one of these needles.

There is also a more typical VOR instrument and you can learn how to use it elsewhere. I don't often use it myself. This one is also used for the ILS.

There are a lot of little tricks you can use with the VORs which you will figure out as you go.

Hook

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 19:33 When I'm flying VOR to VOR in the Connie, I tune one VOR in front of me and one behind. Then I set the two needles on the main instrument so that one arrow points to the VOR in front, the other points to the one in back. If the two needles are on top of each other, I'm flying a course directly between the two VORs.

When I pass over the front VOR and that needle points behind, I tune the VOR that was previously in back to another VOR in front and line up the needles again. Repeat until you're at your destination.

I find this particular instrument very useful and easy to use but it's not typically how the VORs operate, so you might not find documentation on doing it this way. You can also tune an NDB and put it on one of these needles.

There is also a more typical VOR instrument and you can learn how to use it elsewhere. I don't often use it myself. This one is also used for the ILS.

There are a lot of little tricks you can use with the VORs which you will figure out as you go.

Hook
I can't get it VOR as I found from Cessna which have more instruments as OBS and Vacuum. I want to change HDG in my lovely Connie and not sure if by entering in OmniBearing works or never had to enter anything. I tried that and after entered the HDG like 055 it has no effect.
How to tune VOR? I guess by entering the frequency in NAV1 Radios. I don't know about tuning VOR in front and one behind.
When you set the two needles are you referring to ILS OnmiBearing Gauge?
I am intended to fly EGLL-EGCC and the CRS is 055 with ILS 111.55
You can make a movie clip with that FPL in mind and I can learn.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

No, when he talks about "2 needles" he's talking about the 2 direction needles of the "Dual RMI."
In the Connie, OBS=OmniBearing. In fact OBS is acronym for Omni Bearing Selector O.B.S.

Both Cessna and Constellation have vacuum systems, not relevant for the discussion here.

You tune VOR and ILS using NAV1 and NAV2 radios located between pilots (rotary selectors). The system can handle tuning both systems using appropriate frequencies (NAV1=VOR/ILS, NAV2=VOR/ILS).
Autopilot heading control is on the center panel.

For your flight, you can't set the ILS after takeoff from Heathrow, you will never find it. You must use the radio navigation system to first locate Manchester, then navigate the aircraft to a position where it can receive the ILS signals, and the aircraft will be in a position to make a safe approach. This place is called the Final Approach Fix (FAF). You must navigate to it first before you can try using ILS. It is the same procedure in an 737NG... just that the FMS assists in navigating to the FAF. :twisted:

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 19:33 When I'm flying VOR to VOR in the Connie, I tune one VOR in front of me and one behind. Then I set the two needles on the main instrument so that one arrow points to the VOR in front, the other points to the one in back. If the two needles are on top of each other, I'm flying a course directly between the two VORs.

Not to point fingers here **coughcough :a2a: :a2awhite: coughcough** but somebody decided to release a certain Stratocruiser that cannot tune a VOR radial.

Thus I'm forced to use this very same technique in that aircraft. Luckily in the Constellation we were graced with OBS controls....

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 12:51
CAPFlyer wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 11:48 Interesting discussion here. If not already suggested, I would like to toss in that you might want to consider Navigraph Charts. I know it's paid, but it will get you all the charts you need worldwide so you don't have to go digging through multiple websites to find what you need.
I've found SkyVector.com has all the charts I need for free although outside the US the basic map is less detailed. There are links in SkyVector for all the necessary approach plates etc.

The only problem is that sometimes the VOR frequencies don't match the sim. Sometimes the radial directions don't match exactly, even when the magdev file is updated. I transfer my flight plans from SkyVector to Little NavMap to reconcile differences, and a saved plan from Little NavMap imports directly into Active Sky.

How much does Navigraph get me for charts and magnetic deviation?

Hook
2 separate things -

1) I suggested Navigraph because trisho0 is in the UK and Europe is notoriously difficult to get good charts for. The US we have NACO charting (which is a government agency) and so we're the oddball there. So, outside the US, Navigraph is a great solution since it brings everything into a single point.

2) Yes, there have been navigation updates since FSX and P3D have been released. For those, there is a freeware solution - https://aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
Herve Sors has done a great service for the sim community for many years creating updates for both the magnetic declination and navaids to the base Flight Simulators so that you can use current charts. He now has an automatic installer so installation and updating is even easier than ever. If you're flying with charts, especially Navigraph or NavDataPro, Herve's updates are basically required.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

That's a really short flight for the Connie. Probably 40 minutes or so.

I wouldn't bother with VORs for a flight like that, it's just too short. I'd take off and fly a course of 320 or so, it really doesn't matter much as long as you're on the correct side of the airport to land on runway 5R. Tune the ILS frequency of 111.55 and use the ILS system to determine when to make the turn toward the airport. From there it's a standard ILS approach.

If you're flying IFR then air traffic control will tell you how and when to turn for your approach. If you're not using ATC then the above is how I'd do it.

This is how I first learned how to use VOR and ILS in a much earlier version of FSX. I took off in the Learjet from Meigs and flew north with the nav radio tuned to the Chicago ILS. When the deviation needle started to move and got about 2 marks from the center, I turned west, flew to align the needle in the center, then intercepted the glide slope needle. One time I did this with 500 foot clouds such that above that everything was white, nothing out the window. After intercepting the glide slope and beginning my descent, suddenly I could see the airport and I was perfectly lined up for the landing.

The method I described originally is only useful if you're doing a long flight and crossing several VORs along the way.

Hook

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hook wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 23:51
That's a really short flight for the Connie. Probably 40 minutes or so.

I wouldn't bother with VORs for a flight like that, it's just too short. I'd take off and fly a course of 320 or so, it really doesn't matter much as long as you're on the correct side of the airport to land on runway 5R. Tune the ILS frequency of 111.55 and use the ILS system to determine when to make the turn toward the airport. From there it's a standard ILS approach.

If you're flying IFR then air traffic control will tell you how and when to turn for your approach. If you're not using ATC then the above is how I'd do it.

This is how I first learned how to use VOR and ILS in a much earlier version of FSX. I took off in the Learjet from Meigs and flew north with the nav radio tuned to the Chicago ILS. When the deviation needle started to move and got about 2 marks from the center, I turned west, flew to align the needle in the center, then intercepted the glide slope needle. One time I did this with 500 foot clouds such that above that everything was white, nothing out the window. After intercepting the glide slope and beginning my descent, suddenly I could see the airport and I was perfectly lined up for the landing.

The method I described originally is only useful if you're doing a long flight and crossing several VORs along the way.

Hook
I know it is a short flight and the quicker I learn. If something goes weird then I can start over and over until I get the goal. I need to find if I am doing correctly. No VOR to worry about. I want to learn ILS woth Connie.
I don't use ATC. So, I will have to practice the use of the ILS Omnibearing gauge. The thing is when should I enter the CRS 055. I know to enter the Radios NAV1 for 111.55 before take-off.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
How are you getting on with the connie , i have recently made a basic flight plan going from heathrow EGLL gate L25 to manchester EGCC landing on runway 24R flight alt of 8000ft , the video is on twitch TV link :- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/591683776
I used ASN for the weather , i can tune the radios/nav equip either in the VC using a mouse or via my siatek radio panel , i used 3 VORs 1 NDB and tuned 1 ILS that gave me the option of runway 24R or 9L depending on wind direction on approach my route was planed on skyvector , but takeoff and approach do not relate to old charts or sim , but it gives you some idea .
route was :- BPK6J BPK N601 EMBOR Q4 TNT DAYNE2A
VOR freq
BPK 117.5 morse = _ . . . / . _ _ . / _ . _
TNT 115.7 morse = _ / _ . / _
MCT 113.55 morse = _ _ / _ . _ . / _
NDB freq
MCH 428.0 morse = _ _ / _ . _ . / . . . .
ILS freq
24R/6L 109.5
6R 111.55

regards alan. 8

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 05:23 Hi trisho0.
How are you getting on with the connie , i have recently made a basic flight plan going from heathrow EGLL gate L25 to manchester EGCC landing on runway 24R flight alt of 8000ft , the video is on twitch TV link :- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/591683776
I used ASN for the weather , i can tune the radios/nav equip either in the VC using a mouse or via my siatek radio panel , i used 3 VORs 1 NDB and tuned 1 ILS that gave me the option of runway 24R or 9L depending on wind direction on approach my route was planed on skyvector , but takeoff and approach do not relate to old charts or sim , but it gives you some idea .
route was :- BPK6J BPK N601 EMBOR Q4 TNT DAYNE2A
VOR freq
BPK 117.5 morse = _ . . . / . _ _ . / _ . _
TNT 115.7 morse = _ / _ . / _
MCT 113.55 morse = _ _ / _ . _ . / _
NDB freq
MCH 428.0 morse = _ _ / _ . _ . / . . . .
ILS freq
24R/6L 109.5
6R 111.55

regards alan. 8
I stopped temporarily the Connie because of no available tutorial. I appreciate your help on my flight but I would like to download the video so I can go back and forward and not depending on the internet to learn via video. Is it posible to download it? I appreciate so much for your efforts making the movie.
Pat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
I dont think you can , i believe if you have a google account , which i dont , you can then upload them to youtube , otherwise you just have to play the video via link , as its stored on their web site , it used to be easy making highlights of videos , but twitchTV keep messing with it , its now a right pain in the backside to make videos .
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:47 Hi trisho0.
I dont think you can , i believe if you have a google account , which i dont , you can then upload them to youtube , otherwise you just have to play the video via link , as its stored on their web site , it used to be easy making highlights of videos , but twitchTV keep messing with it , its now a right pain in the backside to make videos .
regards alan. 8)
Alan, not a problem. Since the clip duration is about 3 hours I could stop and reassuming back on the interrupted minute if I need to. I did start watching on that Tutorial and stopped on the way to attend my Boss (wife). So, I can continuing later. I will keep watching tutorial. Many thanks for your help.

EDIT:
I watched again (learning more) your tutorial and I found you never touched the GPS switch to On. I am using the GPS now and I can follow the flight when I activate the GPS switch ON with NAV1 + Autopilot ON. I posted my clip to see my experience. I know I missed something because I am still learning and practicing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gTp-4P ... sp=sharing

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”