Engines weird behavior

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
farman
Airman

Engines weird behavior

Post by farman »

Hi,
firts of all my settings:
P3D v4.4 / Auto-start / Flight engineer activated / Damage OFF/ FSUIPC settings on my Hotas Warthog throttle, Axis throttle 1+2 & 3+4.
After tens of flights without any single issue, all of a sudden, two days ago, the engines didn't work properly anymore. Attached some shot. Even clicking on overhaul at the hangar, after some "excellent" condition seconds, they turned needing of repair.
Thanks for any help,
Fulvio

farman
Airman

Re: Engines weird behavior

Post by farman »

Just an update; I even tried to uninstall and re-install it, but to no avail. And the product was up-to-date.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Uninstall/reinstall can stop others helping you to determine the fault , also if a clean uninstall is not done correctly , it will stop you from updateing your product after a reinstall , as it thinks its uptodate when its not , always come here first with any issues .
Has for engine wear/tear , this rate will depend on various things , is all the fluids checked and topped up prior to flight , try to aviod putting the engines in the yellow or red on the gauges , in the yellow you might get away with it , if its during the takeoff run /lift off , but get them in the green as you cleanup the aircraft , this will prolong the life.
things to check on start up.
1/. fuel in tanks
2/. oil pressure
3/. oil temp
4/. allow engine cylinder temps to get to operating temp , keep RPM 900/1000
constantly monitor the temps and pressure , anything amiss shut down and check
I have a total off 313.1 hrs on my original engines started with them in excellent condition , now all 4 are in good condition , some on here have even more hours than this , so i would say the abnormal engine wear you are getting , may be the result of pushing your engines too much , unless you can give more info to the contrary.
The other thing to ask is did you use ASN or AS16 or any other weather engine , i have had corrupt weather information , that seemed to corrupt the simconnect , which caused my B17 engines to destroy themselves after shutdown while i was checking the aircraft in the hangar after a flight , ASN was my weather engine in use when this happened.
regards alan. 8)

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Hi Alan,
thanks for your helping answer. Well you're correct for the first part of the answer. Actually, I uninstalled the Connie correctly, at the Programs and functionality page.
For the rest I used to fly with ASP4, but up to a wekk ago nothing happened. And since I'm flying with autostart & flight engeneer on for all the pre-flight checks, I was supposed to get my plane full OK.
Anyway, I'll take afurther look; thanks again & regards,
Fulvio

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Something i forgot to mention , BMEP do not exceed this max setting , it is more critical than the MAN/RPM indications .
regards alan. 8)

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Re-thanks, Alan

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Hi Alan,
I'm nearly to give up. Attached the image of what's happening now. After been warned, ev'rytime I try to "overhaul" the 3 damaged engines (flooded?), the "Must overhaul" waring reappears.
Any advice - if possible -?
Thanks in advance & regards,
Fulvio

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Strange , damage with 00.0 hours , are you getting this as soon as you fire up the sim with the selected conni.
Are you starting from a saved flight , with any real weather being injected in the sim , if from a saved flight , then that saved flight might be corrupted .
Try starting the sim , with no weather engine , with the sims fair weather theme selected , with the sims default flight , then change the default aircraft to the conni .
How are you starting the engines the flooded engines can happen during the start , if you dont start them correctly , to get rid of the flooded engines , is turn fuel off , turn ignition off , and spin the engines , this clears the flooding , the must overhaul could be something wrong with the engine or auxillery items , from plugs , pumps , oil , ignitors ectra .
Also what is the outside temp , when trying to start them , if to cold , then the engine will not start , unless you did a dilute prior to shut down from a previous flight.
regards alan. 8)

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

hi Alan,
I tried a fresh new flight; but I'll follow your advices 1) starting the sim eith default F-22 and fair weather. BTW, I'm used to fly on actual time/season; but this time I'll start from Triest (My own time), with a quite "normal" temperature (5/10° C).
I always flew - without any single issue up to a week ago - with ASP4 and REX SF3D.
Feedback will follow; just to make things easier and more secure, I flew with auto-start and full Flight engineer support.
Thanks again, Alan, and regards,
Fulvio

PS:Within a couple of months I'll upgrade my processor, so I'll be forced to clean and fomat all my discs.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Can you also check that the "Automixture" setting in P3D is unchecked (OFF)?
That has a habit of causing lots of trouble for A2A piston engines...

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Hi Flapman & Alan,
you can believe it or not, but - according to the many behavioral misteries of the Sim's world, after a flight with a VRS F-18E, and after changing the plane (that was a last, desperate attempt), all the issues/troubles.. disappeared. More, flew with REX SF3D and ASP4 in actual weather/time conditions in snowy Canada (St John's).
I can assure you I didn't make any other thing or action. It's simply unbelievable if not thinking of some loss of memory of some sort of fail duting the Super Hornet flight or who knows what other thing could be happend.
Thanks to all of you for you appreciated help.
Regards,
Fulvio

Quoting Shakespeare, "There are more things in heaven and earth (AND IN P3D), guys, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

AKSledhead
Airman

Post by AKSledhead »

Make sure 'Engine Stress Damages Engine' is off in the P3D Realism Settings... also, trying running without FSUIPC and without Active Sky.

I've been trying to diagnose an issue where randomly, in flight, all controls will freeze and throttles will go full power... of course causing substantial damage and ruining the flight.

Just did one test flight without using FSUIPC and without using ActiveSky and it went well... about to do another. This has happened in my Bonanza too, not just the Connie.
Best regards,
Joseph Chamberlain

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi AKSledhead.
You will find Active sky is the culprit , with a corrupt weather download , causeing a simconnect error , A2A rely on simconnect , i have watched in horror as my B17 engines after shutdown , and checking everything in the hangar go from fully servicable to totally destroyed.
regards alan. 8)

AKSledhead
Airman

Post by AKSledhead »

Wow! Good to know... such a shame though, flying without ActiveSky is nigh impossible. Maybe I'll just increase the download time from the lowest to a median value... say every hour or so as the METARs update.

Thanks Alan!
Best regards,
Joseph Chamberlain

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi AKSledhead.
Its not the frequency of downloads , i think the corruption occurs mainly at weekend , when some weather stations close for maintenance , as your flying in that area , and as ASN starts getting the weather from that station , but the station closes , before the full data was downloaded , this incomplete data is then made FSXA/P3D compatable by ASN and then injects this corrupted incomplete data into FSXA/P3D , via simconnect , and this then effects A2A aircraft in different ways.
This is only my theory and is very hard to impossible to test or confirm if this is the case.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”