Engines weird behavior

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Engines weird behavior

Post by trisho0 »

I think my Connie has engines weird behavior and trying to find in this thread for someone can have an idea on what's can be the problem.
While flying from VHHX to VHHH I intentionally for practicing from the FE cabin I turned OFF the engine #3 and #2 via moving the Engine Mixtures. But the engines by looking outside still idling. I expected engine 3 and 2 to see them shutdown. My idea was to restart those 2 engines on flight. I tried to turn magnetos 3 and 2 OFF. I thought to turn Battery off (lol).
How to shutdown the engine properly?

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

You'd also have to feather the propellers to stop the engines from turning.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

How to feather propellers? I am still in a dark don't understand about. I did another try and the engine #3 started smoking. Even damaged engine #3 and still idling. Maybe the propellers still in motion by wind during the flight. I know the engine #3 was dead but fan like fun.

Edit: I flew again VHHX-VHHH and after moving engine Mixture #3 and #2 to OFF both propellers kept them in motion. I think the engines 3# and #2 were off by looking at gauges. So, I landed and parked, found the propellers stopped from the engines #3 and #2. That confirmed the engine were shutdown on airborne as I did and I assume the propellers were still in motion because of the wind. I thought the propellers should stop moving on airborne after shutdown the engine.
Last edited by trisho0 on 04 Jul 2020, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Trisho0, The quickest way to Feather a dead or damaged engine is on pg 143 of the manual. Its just a series of steps you follow (and unnecessary to repeat here). You can always practice the procedure Mentally so it is fresh in your head before each flight. Or print out the emergency procedures pages and have them at hand for quick reference during each flight. :D

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Many thanks for that. Where is the propeller feathering button? I found from the Manual the Master Propeller Governor Switch but that control the RPM. It doesn't stop spinning the propellers. The propellers of a dead engine stop when the aircraft stops because of the inertia due to the wind, correct?. I might be wrong. But, my experience in question was, I shutdown an engine in purpose and to revive the engine again on airborne. I thought the engine was still running because of spinning propellers but realized it was off by looking at the BMEP gauges. I am still learning and the reason asking about.

Edit: Found the 4 separate Prop. Feather Switches from the top side of the FE Panel, cool round buttons.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I think I understand what you’re asking... but just to be sure...you shut down an engine in flight if the engine instruments indicate a potential malfunction in the engine. You feather the prop for a couple of reasons: to reduce drag from the windmilling propeller that is developing little or no thrust, and to reduce the potential for damage to the engine by the windmilling prop. Unless there is some damage to the propeller mechanism then , yes, it will windmill in flight if you shutdown an engine and don’t feather the prop.

So, what you are doing is really good practice for when you get your first engine failure! And you WILL have one! The very next page (pg 144 of the A2A Connie manual) discusses how to restart an engine in flight. There are nine (9) checks and steps to accomplish, followed By three (3) steps For the actual start. Very cool stuff! I used to practice this in the Stratocruiser. I just bought the Constellation two days ago and hope to be up with you in the next few days!

And, I hope that helps you understand what you experienced.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Jacques, I really appreciate so much your professional help guidance me better than the manual. I was flying short trip like VHHX-VHHH to learn GPS started only 3 days ago. This FPL had only one waypoint to save time learning how to fly GPS. I know FMC and so easy to fly PMDG and iFly birds but no challenge at all. Very easy ILS landings. Now, I like more Connie which is a challenge. After learning GPS I would like to take GPS off and start learning with instruments to follow waypoints.
So, for now I keep learning more on GPS uses until I feel confident. Later I will give another FPL longer flying time with some more waypoints and give a try to emulate a faulty engine and to revive or simply to keep flying with 3 engines up.
I will take a reading on the Manual as you mentioned page 144. And also, thanks to all Pilots from this thread to help me on.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

What a great choice of airports! VHHX is a fantastic destination and doing the short hop is really good practice. Flying from VOR to VOR is easy enough to get your head around and will help you polish up your navigation skills. There is so much learning to be gained from these A2A aircraft and they are true “hands-on” flyers so you will never get bored ( like you might with a modern jet).

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Yes, I am getting a bit bored with FMC featured in modern Boeings. And with Connie Constellation is a challenge in all aspects, I love it!
My idea with Connie is to leave it without GPS device activated so I can use the instrument gauges instead. I don't understand enough how the Connie ILS instrument gauge works. But first I need to learn how to fly with ILS via GPS for now. All my Connie landings are by hand because no ILS.
Can I use GPS for ILS landings? If so, any address link to follow lessons up?
Patricio

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 10:23 Hi.
Something i forgot to mention , BMEP do not exceed this max setting , it is more critical than the MAN/RPM indications .
regards alan. 8)
Can be adjusted BMEP in FE Panel? I had RPM mismatched so I wonder if adjusting BMEP can remedy? From Hangar Connie is in Excellent conditions. Overhauling will loose my flight hours.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

BMEP has nothing to do with your prop RPM mismatch. It's a measurement of work (specifically torque) that the engine is producing to give you an indication of how much load is on the engine.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

CAPFlyer wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 18:52 BMEP has nothing to do with your prop RPM mismatch. It's a measurement of work (specifically torque) that the engine is producing to give you an indication of how much load is on the engine.
I thought BMEP can be adjusted for. Then, why does Connie get RPM mismatched gauges needles? Can be adjusted? I guess from activating propeller Governor Switches?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

TrishoO,

On page 108 of the A2A Connie manual, shift +8 will bring up engine management 2d panel. If you are using one lever to control all four engines (like me with my CH yoke) or using two levers to control the engines (one lever to control two engines) then this 2d panel will allow you to fine tune each engine separately from the rest. Just click on the box (1,2,3 or 4..or any combination of 1,2,3 or 4) of the engine that has high or low rpm, then move your control lever to fine tune the rpm. You should do this for every flight, during the runup and occasionally while in flight. I believe you can use this 2d panel to fine tune power, propeller and mixture setting as long as you have a hardware lever(s) dedicated to each of those functions.
(Can’t be 100% certain of this, but fairly certain...I’m still reading Mitchel’s introduction before I jump in headfirst with the Connie 😂 )

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

trisho0 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 19:39I thought BMEP can be adjusted for. Then, why does Connie get RPM mismatched gauges needles? Can be adjusted? I guess from activating propeller Governor Switches?
Yes, the propeller governor switches are what set the propeller RPM in the governed range. BMEP is used mainly to "trim" power settings once you get into a given situation. For example, once established in climb with your climb RPM of 2300 set, you can use the throttles to maintain a BMEP of 145. This will ensure that no matter what the atmospheric conditions, the engines are providing the correct amount of power for the climb. Once you settle into cruise, set your RPM per the chart on pg. 138 - 139 of the manual and then adjust throttle to get the proper BMEP. On descent, simply check the BMEP occasionally to ensure it is above 50 at all times to ensure you are not back-loading the engine. The reason you use BMEP to set power instead of MAP is because the MAP can change depending on temperature and barometric pressure, so it's not as reliable. By using RPM and BMEP to fine tune your power settings, you are ensuring consistent performance which is essential for long engine life and on time arrivals.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

This thread is wonderful to learn Connie more and more. I didn't know that Connie is so realistic and many challenges involved. I appreciate to all Pilots here.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”