Connie will not autostart

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
DCAPilot
Airman

Connie will not autostart

Post by DCAPilot »

Until today the Connie has been starting both manually and autostart. However, today it will not even do an autostart. I click Autostart, engine 1 starts fine. Then engine two starts up and belches smoke. It starts but the FE pulls the mixture levers to cut-off for it. And since it won't start it never goes to 3, 4. If I push the mixture back to rich it still will not run.

I am running P3Dv5, have made no changes to it. I do have levers assigned to mixture using FSUIPC to set the LVAR to 0, 1, 2 if I do it manually but I've notice if I put them full forward to rich the FE takes care of them in flight. I've rebooted. Default aircraft start just fine.

Any ideas on what to check on.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Connie will not autostart

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Have you checked the engine state.
1/. shift+2 should say if engines have passed inspection or not
2/. shift+7 will give state of each engine and state of Pressurization/Heating/Air Craft
3/. Also when you say auto start will start number1 but not engine2 , cane you start engines 1 , 3 and 4 manually .
4/. What are the gauges showing on the engineers panel , IE oil pressure.
regards alan. 8)

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

alan CXA651 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:24 Hi.
Have you checked the engine state.
1/. shift+2 should say if engines have passed inspection or not
2/. shift+7 will give state of each engine and state of Pressurization/Heating/Air Craft
3/. Also when you say auto start will start number1 but not engine2 , cane you start engines 1 , 3 and 4 manually .
4/. What are the gauges showing on the engineers panel , IE oil pressure.
regards alan. 8)
1,2 Engines are fine. I checked them in the inspection window and the conditions are excellent. Engines have passed inspection.
3. I can not start the engines manually.
4. Gauges show normal. In autostart the FE says oil pressure okay. Oil pressure comes up, engines start, and then the mixture handle on #2 goes to cut-off and the process stops there since it can't get engine 2 running.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I’m not sure about P3D, but some times the “auto mixture” will tick itself in FSX. In FSX it’s in the realism menu
Last edited by Tomas Linnet on 18 Oct 2020, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 14:02 I’m not sure about P3D, but some time the “auto mixture” will tick itself in FSX. In FSX it’s in the realism menu
Same place in P3D and it's unchecked.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

I removed any mixture controls from FSUIPC and the sim has nothing assigned to mixture. Engine 1 starts fine, engine 2 starts, FE says oil pressure coming up, then pulls the mixture back on engine 2. I have overhauled the engines although they were in excellent shape with 2.8 hours on them. I guess I'll do a reinstall of P3Dv5 and see what happens. I'll start with a repair install.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Did a repair install of P3Dv5 and no luck. The FE pulls the throttle back. For now I'm abandoning this to go do other things.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

as mentioned on discord, sounds like you have a stray mapping or a corrupt flight itself. A new flight from the freeflight menu will rule one out and the disabling of FSUIPC via the dll + check the A2A Input config will help rule out the control mapping issue.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 14:16 Hello,

as mentioned on discord, sounds like you have a stray mapping or a corrupt flight itself. A new flight from the freeflight menu will rule one out and the disabling of FSUIPC via the dll + check the A2A Input config will help rule out the control mapping issue.

thanks,
Lewis
Found the issue and it is a crazy one. I started a new flight. I have P3D come up to the menu where you can load flight, vehicle, etc. so I started a new flight at EGPH with the L-10. Then switched to the Connie. Still did not work. Then I noticed that tanks 2 and 3 were empty so I added fuel and it started. I assumed the Connie had a crossfeed system but evidently not! I think the tanks got filled that way when I was playing with GSX.

Oh, well. Learned something new again.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The L049 connie does have a crossfeed system , if the engineer is activated he does this automatically , if he is not activated you have to do this fuel crossfeed.
look in the manual page 114 FUEL SYSTEM lists the controls .
page 119 engineers panel pics item 28 / 33
page 121 item 26 fuel crossfeed levers on the floor behind the co-pilots seat which the engineer normally controls all the fuel transfer / crossfeed operations using all the mentioned items when activated.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Rule of thumb is to keep that default flight a default simple aircraft, it looks like you had some settings coming across for all future flight loads, hence why we always bore everyone going on about that default flight all the time hehe :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it squared away and happy flying in the virtual skies. See you on the Discord

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

alan CXA651 wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 00:17 Hi.
The L049 connie does have a crossfeed system , if the engineer is activated he does this automatically , if he is not activated you have to do this fuel crossfeed.
look in the manual page 114 FUEL SYSTEM lists the controls .
page 119 engineers panel pics item 28 / 33
page 121 item 26 fuel crossfeed levers on the floor behind the co-pilots seat which the engineer normally controls all the fuel transfer / crossfeed operations using all the mentioned items when activated.
regards alan. 8)
The FE was activated and he failed to do this. I let him do all the setup and work.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 05:41 Rule of thumb is to keep that default flight a default simple aircraft, it looks like you had some settings coming across for all future flight loads, hence why we always bore everyone going on about that default flight all the time hehe :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it squared away and happy flying in the virtual skies. See you on the Discord

cheers,
Lewis
What I had was the result of trying out GSX for a fuel load and it only fueled the outboard tanks since that's all it needed. Then I saved the flight which left the inboard tanks empty. If I get issues I drop back to a default flight but normally in P3D the A2A scenerio loads fine.

I had the FE controlling all systems so shouldn't he have routed the feel feeds so Engines 2 and 3 got fuel from the outboard tanks? It's not a big deal as I'll just make sure I have fuel in all tanks. I'll dig into the fuel system as I normally let the FE do the work with it.

Now back to flying.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Just for kicks and giggles, here's a link to my Connie kneeboard checklist. Always there when you need it.

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=58323&p=545348#p545348.

Scroll down for the latest version.

Seeya
ATB

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Paughco wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 11:49 Just for kicks and giggles, here's a link to my Connie kneeboard checklist. Always there when you need it.

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=58323&p=545348#p545348.

Scroll down for the latest version.

Seeya
ATB
Nice. Thanks.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”