Connie and SODE VDGS

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
doksas
Airman

Connie and SODE VDGS

Post by doksas »

Hello,
i trying to get working sode vdgs with Connie, added in SODE AircraftParameters.ini line CONI with parameters for passengers door, changed Connie aircraft cfg general section atc model from L049 to CONI to match with real ICAO code and VDGS is activated, but, give me STOP FAIL and in SODE log give me "could not detect Nosewheel".
I take look in Connie contact points section and there is split the front gear in two individual entries point 0 and point 1, never seen that before, every other aircraft just has one contact point defined per gear...

I changed it from -1.3(point 0) and 1.3 (point 1) to -0.5 and 0.5 , then VDGS is activated but stop me too far from parking cca 10-20 meters, if i continue to parking VDGS give me again STOP FAIL.

Any elegant solution for this problem please ?

PS off course i know edit aircraft.cfg id bad thing so i have backup of original file

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Connie and SODE VDGS

Post by flapman »

Hi,

I think you'll have some trouble with this post, probably because many of us don't know what SODE VDGS is.

For those reading this, SODE is an acronym for "SimObject Display Engine." It's major application (correct me if I'm wrong here) is to enable custom control for jet bridges. VDGS is an acronym of Visual Docking Guidance System.

A Visual Docking Guidance System (under various trade names) is an electronic system which provides steering and braking commands to pilots so they can accurately position their aircraft on parking gates/stands, without the need for hand marshaling (hand signals).

These systems are important because they reduce delays waiting for ground crew, while allowing the airplane to be accurately parked. The airplane needs to be accurately parked (and each aircraft type is different) because the main cabin door (MCD) needs to be within the travel and geometry limits of the jet bridge.

So, I'll give my thoughts. It's not gonna solve your problem, but perhaps motivate you to find an easier solution.
doksas wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 23:23 Any elegant solution for this problem please ?
No. I think there is no elegant solution here.

My personal opinion is that a L-49 Constellation should not be using jet bridges. You are of course free to run your simulator how you want, but my suggestion for "elegance" is to not use a jet bridge. With no jet bridge the need for VDGS is eliminated.

I also suggest no push back.
changed Connie aircraft cfg general section atc model from L049 to CONI to match with real ICAO
There is no such thing as an aircraft type named "Connie." "Constellation" is an advertisement name for an entire family of aircraft. There is no single "Connie," or "Constellation," with stable dimensions which would all occupy the same parking spot. In the modern world ICAO might give all variations the same code, but that doesn't help where they all stop at the gate. That might matter for SODE VDGS, but I guess that only controls what is shown on the status board. I suggest you leave it L049.
I take look in Connie contact points section and there is split the front gear in two individual entries point 0 and point 1, never seen that before, every other aircraft just has one contact point defined per gear...
Well this is a high quality payware aircraft, and it has two nose wheel tires. This is another guess, I have not looked at [contact points]

If you try and use VDGS with the L-049 and point it at the terminal you will have the same problems nearly everybody else has;

1. The Constellation family and VDGS technology exist in different eras, for different aircraft types. No Connie irl parks at a gate using VDGS, and I'm very sure no VDGS anywhere has needed to be programmed for any variant of a Lockheed Constellation.
2. When a jet airliner parks nose into the terminal with VDGS it's MCD is forward of the swept wings, perfectly aligned with the jet brige. When L-49 is parked in this way, the MCD is behind the wings. The wings are straight.
2a. The jet bridge will break trying to reach the MCD, or it will run out of travel and geometry.
2b. The jet bridge will strike the wing of the L-49, causing damage to both bridge and airplane.

You see, it is not elegant. Because the two were never designed to work together.

doksas
Airman

Post by doksas »

Hello Flapman and thanks for your observation.

Of course, different era is Connie and VDGS but, all my flight is on IVAO and i use old restaured Connie in modern era and modern flight rules. I am simmer on that way :)
Also, i dont use jetways for this bird, and VDGS at parking not mean automatically jetway is here. Example, my main airport is LYBE Belgrade, parking C4 have VDGS but not have jetway as in real. ORBX LYBE reproduce this exact.
At some others airports i see VDGS on parking which is faar from terminal building and off course from jetways , so i want this just for easy parking :)

SODE is like many others programs, "tell him" what to work and will work with some changes in cfg file etc. I will try again, i think problem is if i use doors position ( into SODE) from aircraft.cfg becaouse this is aft doors at Connie and not compatible with others SODE things like jetway. So, i will "tell" SODE my Connie have front doors and think this will solve problem. Becaouse i dont want to use jetway this not big deal and VDGS will work... i will check it

PS
sorry for my english, not so good, kind regards

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

For Connie I don't use Gates intending to use Jetways but Stairways.
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”