Deeply Studying The Manuel

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Deeply Studying The Manuel

Post by GaryRR »

I have found out that I am not always operating by book recommendations.
I did a flight Sunday morning from KSEG to KEVY, Middletown, DE. (Orbx Airport). On approach I had minor pitch and AoA holding trouble. After reading the pertinent parts of the manual it turns out I was in the wrong having Cowl Flaps open and only flaps one or two on approach. Can small things like that so noticeably effect the flight characteristics?

Thanks.

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Re: Deeply Studying The Manuel

Post by Orlaam »

I'm not so certain about cowl flaps. I feel that I've always kept them closed per the checklist in cruise and to the runway. You can even close them on climb provided the CHT temps are ok. For the actual wing flaps, a large number of Bonanza pilots keep them up for landing. I find up or 10 degrees is much easier to land than full flaps at slow speeds.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Deeply Studying The Manuel

Post by ClipperLuna »

I'm a bit late to this thread. I generally keep my cowl flaps closed on approach and I bring the wing flaps down after I've turned final. I think the cowl flaps cause a small reduction in speed if you open them up, but I've never noticed any pitch problems. Not sure about wing flaps.

Just to clarify, did you have any passengers in the backseat and/or heavy baggage in the baggage area? That can affect pitch stability (and not in a "good" way)

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”