Poll - what engine are you flying with?

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft

What engine have you been flying with so far?

41%
59%

Total votes: 205

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Re: Poll - what engine are you flying with?

Post by Alfredson007 »

I haven't tried the 550 yet...

But generally i always choose the option for least horsepower and least speed. I never use any devices that reduce drag, apart from wheel covers due to their looks =))

I am low and slow guy, bonanza and comanche aren't exactly my kind of planes but i love how they fly and sound.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

I have stuck with the initial installation of the smaller 520 for the time being. However I did "repair" each cylinder until they were of a similar high compression with a "new" plane, always have gone for the new option to see how things last based on my own actions. That said I can definitely see the appeal of the "used" option. :)

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

That's an interesting discussion. Today I've flown them both for testing. Performance difference ist pretty close. The question for an aircraft owner is, is it worth to spent more money to upgrade to an IO-550 instead of overhauling the 520. What I've read about this is that the 550 has a little higher fuel burn (gal/h) than the 520, but the specific fuel burn (miles per gallon) is about the same. The 550 produces more hp with the same rpm which gives you a few more kts speed. Takeoff run and climb performance should be better with the 550. The 550 has less weight than the 520 which results in a bit more useful load. But I don't know if this is the case in our A2A Bonanza too. It's interesting to compare, but if you ask 10 pilots about this, you'll get 10 different answers.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Did you notice if the engine sounds were the same for both options?

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I started with IO-520, want to get used with airplane a bit, but will definitely try the 550 too.

Cheerz,
Vladimir "aka Will"
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Emi
Airman

Post by Emi »

I started with the 520 but had trouble on those shorter 500-700m grass runways so I went for the 550 now.
Best regards
Emanuel

dscott3984
Airman First Class

Post by dscott3984 »

My used aircraft needed an engine overhaul on the 520 so I upgraded it to the 550 instead. Seemed logical since the 520 was toast and we had a 550 sitting in the corner of the hangar

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

AviationAtWar wrote:Did you notice if the engine sounds were the same for both options?
No, both engines sounds seem to be the same. But both engine are very similar, so it's possible that they sound nearly identical.

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

What i noticed is that the fuel flow goes over the red line with full throttle with the 550, cause the fuel flow gauge doesn't change when you choose the 550.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Having never been a rich doctor I scraped together enough money to buy the Bonanza so the only engine I could afford was the 520. No fancy GPS thingy either, and everything else is pretty much low end stock. Should've went to medical school like my mother wanted. :lol:

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

I love going fast and I love having power to play with if I need for hot and heavy days.

So please make the Aerostar LOL... the faster the better.

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

I'm with the 520 until gaining more experience. I assume the included performance data is for the 520, right?

shirer.ra
Airman Basic

Post by shirer.ra »

Go big or go home, lmao.

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

I will stay with original IO-520 to match the airframe age. 550 is quite modern design from '80.

As Bo is out, it's a good time to recall this nice movie about density altitude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk

As Harry Bliss says about 520: with performance figures like that we could fly anywhere ;-)

Sometimes less power is more fun in sim ;-)

rightseat
Airman First Class

Post by rightseat »

I'm sticking with the 300 HP, 550.

If the 520 came with the option of a 2 blade prop, I would likely go with that. Since there's no prop option on the Bo, I couldn't think of a real reason for me to go with smaller hp motor.

Having a blast with this plane, though! :-)
Best,

Scott N758VS

Image Image

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCADafr ... xfS9NhwThw

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”