Bonanza trim effectiveness

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Bonanza trim effectiveness

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

So I did a couple circuits in the 'Bo and noticed that once on final and in landing configuration even full nose up trim does not give you a stable, force-free, approach. I still find myself applying back pressure to maintain the 3° glidepath (unless you come in way steeper). Settings are at full RPM (prop full in), around 15" manifold on final to maintain roughly 75kts, no extra payload except the pilot.

Any tips on how to properly execute a nice and stable approach and if this is normal for a V35B?

Cheers.

Hobart Escin

Re: Bonanza trim effectiveness

Post by Hobart Escin »

Lufthansa 380 wrote:So I did a couple circuits in the 'Bo and noticed that once on final and in landing configuration even full nose up trim does not give you a stable, force-free, approach. I still find myself applying back pressure to maintain the 3° glidepath (unless you come in way steeper). Settings are at full RPM (prop full in), around 15" manifold on final to maintain roughly 75kts, no extra payload except the pilot.

Any tips on how to properly execute a nice and stable approach and if this is normal for a V35B?

Cheers.

I'm noticing the same thing - it's as if I'm running out of nose up trim too soon. Gear and flaps out in the Bonanza certainly seems to really induce quite of bit of nose-down moment. I'm also wondering if using the A2A input configurator instead of the default P3D or FSUIPC assigned trim might yield better effectiveness.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Hobart Escin wrote:
Lufthansa 380 wrote:So I did a couple circuits in the 'Bo and noticed that once on final and in landing configuration even full nose up trim does not give you a stable, force-free, approach. I still find myself applying back pressure to maintain the 3° glidepath (unless you come in way steeper). Settings are at full RPM (prop full in), around 15" manifold on final to maintain roughly 75kts, no extra payload except the pilot.

Cheers.

I'm noticing the same thing - it's as if I'm running out of nose up trim too soon. Gear and flaps out in the Bonanza certainly seems to really induce quite of bit of nose-down moment. I'm also wondering if using the A2A input configurator instead of the default P3D or FSUIPC assigned trim might yield better effectiveness.
Don't see a real reson why that should be much different. I mean the trim and all the other stuff work per se. One option might be just not landing with full flap but maybe 20° instead.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I’m not experiencing the same behavior. I don’t run out of trim. What’s your load when you have that problem?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I'm in FSX box using FSX settings with trim assigned to a button on the Hog. No trim issues at all really. Might be a bit slow on response but that's about all.
DH

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:I’m not experiencing the same behavior. I don’t run out of trim. What’s your load when you have that problem?
Again, just the pilot and full-ish tanks.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Is this new since the latest update? I’ll give it a try in my installation and see what happens.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

I have the latest update installed and I experience the same. My trim is fully nose up after landing and, even that, I had to hold the control wheel back to keep a good flare.

Not a big deal, but compared to others A2A airplanes looks like the Bo is very heavy on the nose.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

avduarri wrote:I have the latest update installed and I experience the same. My trim is fully nose up after landing and, even that, I had to hold the control wheel back to keep a good flare.

Not a big deal, but compared to others A2A airplanes looks like the Bo is very heavy on the nose.
Exactly that. Took me by surprise on the first approach. Trimming and trimming and trimming...nope still not enough...now it's full nose up....not enough. :P
Not a big deal for actually flying and landing it, just a bit unusual. Would love to hear Scott's take, since he flew that thing in real life.

Kimo
Airman First Class

Post by Kimo »

This is what Scott said about trim on landing in this topic https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 87#p498387
Scott - A2A wrote:The trim should work at all times.

70-75kts is too slow for final. On a typical approach, the trim will usually be about 9 degrees nose up.

Scott.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Now that is interesting. I did find the listed 70-75kts to be a tad on the sluggish end by the feel of it. Will shoot some approaches with 80 and see how it goes.

MrMe85
Airman

Post by MrMe85 »

I fly with just a mouse and keyboard, so while I can’t relate to the actual feel of the yoke with my current setup, I can visually see whether the yoke is centred for a particular trim based on the cursor on my screen.

At full flaps and gear down, And between 70 to 75 knots Vref, I don’t have issues with elevator authority on approach. However, it does require significant nose up trim (between 9-12 units) to keep my cursor centered (which is where you would feel the least pressure on the yoke).

I normally approach at around 80 knots, and bleed off to 70 over the threshold and it seems to work out ok (unless it’s gusty). I keep some power on until around 20 feet over the runway.
Andy

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Trim is affected by speed. What are the "correct" speeds for the various phases of landing a Bonanza? I found this discussion on the American Bonanza Society forum: https://www.bonanza.org/community/membe ... -settings/.

Here's a way for us armchair pilots to pound "the numbers" into our brains: https://www.bonanza.org/globalassets/bp ... -sheet.pdf.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 02 Oct 2018, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Paughco wrote:Trim is affected by speed. What are the "correct" speeds for the various phases of landing a Bonanza? I found this discussion on the American Bonanza Society forum: https://www.bonanza.org/community/membe ... -settings/.

Seeya
ATB
Great find - thanks...

Yeah - 80 knot Bonanza approaches are what I learned from the Lou’s Dreamfleet A36... I flew that one a bunch...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Great stuff guys! 80kts does seem to make more sense then. I mean, why is 70 the one in the manuals/the one that is recommended anyway?

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”