Bonanza Tail Links

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Bonanza Tail Links

Post by Rarebear »

So, I made sure my autorudder was disabled and went over the manual rather quickly, but I am a little confused as to how the ail is liked in real life. When I press on the rudders it moves the ailerons in the same direction. In the cockpit it physically moves the yoke in direction of ruddder input. This seems weird to me but im not sure about it. Now, the more normal movement i thought naturally it would have is that when input on the aileron is made it actually moves the ruddervators in the same direction but the pedals do not phisically move. its seems that this is more of a linkage to avoid adverse yaw like the maule does and several other aircraft.

am I missing something?

Thanks.

JDW

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Bonanza Tail Links

Post by Tomas Linnet »

The ailerons an ruddervators are connected with rubber cords. Therefore all the control surfaces is linked. Have a look in the manual, all of this is explained there. :)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

I read the manual part about the Vtail. I mustve missed something. What a strange linkage.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

It is somewhat rare in general aviation world, but not completely unique. Note, that in big plane world aileron-rudder interconnection function is very common, though it is achieved in ways somewhat more sophisticated than a simple rubber cord, and the cockpit controls may not actually move together even if the surfaces do.

-Esa

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

AKar wrote:It is somewhat rare in general aviation world, but not completely unique. Note, that in big plane world aileron-rudder interconnection function is very common, though it is achieved in ways somewhat more sophisticated than a simple rubber cord, and the cockpit controls may not actually move together even if the surfaces do.

-Esa
Right, So for example the Ercoupe actually did away with rudder pedals because of the interconnection. So what it makes it weird to me is that in the model by A2A the rudders Physically(Basically ANIMATE the movement f the ailerons in coordination with them) If this is really the case, It is odd to me that Beechcraft would put rudder pedals in the aircraft at all. seems redundant.

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

I actually have a buddy that owns a V35 bonanza and he says hes gonna check it on the ground next preflight but he is not sure about it. On the other hand I have been reading some bonanza threads where some owner noticed it after many years of flying also seems that only certain models have it that much, was suprised to even read a G36 Owner noticing it on his. seems to me more and more that the modeling is legit.

Learn something new everyday.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Rarebear wrote: So what it makes it weird to me is that in the model by A2A the rudders Physically(Basically ANIMATE the movement f the ailerons in coordination with them) If this is really the case, It is odd to me that Beechcraft would put rudder pedals in the aircraft at all. seems redundant.
Yes, it really is the case. Note, that you'd still apply rudder by yourself for crosswind landing as an example. Also, overall directional stability could still benefit from some timely applied beta-dot by pilot. ;)
Rarebear wrote:I actually have a buddy that owns a V35 bonanza and he says hes gonna check it on the ground next preflight but he is not sure about it. On the other hand I have been reading some bonanza threads where some owner noticed it after many years of flying also seems that only certain models have it that much, was suprised to even read a G36 Owner noticing it on his. seems to me more and more that the modeling is legit.
It is legit, I think you can trust in that one! :lol: It is even in the handbooks. :mrgreen:

-Esa

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

AKar wrote:Yes, it really is the case. Note, that you'd still apply rudder by yourself for crosswind landing as an example. Also, overall directional stability could still benefit from some timely applied beta-dot by pilot.-Esa
thats a good point, the ercoupe always landed sideways during a crosswind due to no rudders. some were retrofitted with rudders afterwards.
AKar wrote:It is legit, I think you can trust in that one! :lol: It is even in the handbooks. :mrgreen: -Esa
Well I know that A2A does its homework better than anyone, more than Anything I was wondering if there was a bug or something hehe. I know its in the handbook yet the two guys that have flown one tell me they've never felt it like that. Now, I am sure they have not tested it like A2A tested the Bonanza so maybe they are missing something OR I wonder if there has something to do with a tensioner.

I was reading the threads and most guys felt it after annual so much so that when rudder was applied it yanked the yoke out of their hands(pilot aborted takeoff and took it back to the shop), I wonder if at a particular annual the link got tensed properly and now it was working the was it should have all along. I also read that there is an old manual that it says that one of the procedures to go through a thick layer of soup was to let go of the yoke and use the rudders to make a coordinated descending turn.

I really like this airplane cause im definitely learning a lot of new stuff about it. its quite unique.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Rarebear wrote:I know its in the handbook yet the two guys that have flown one tell me they've never felt it like that. Now, I am sure they have not tested it like A2A tested the Bonanza so maybe they are missing something OR I wonder if there has something to do with a tensioner.
Either way, that's why I never buy anything anymore based on "RW pilots". Or more generally, based on any form of RW _____ (insert profession/experience). :mrgreen: I've already been enough times both instructing and even more being instructed on topics of too many different fields to slowly start appreciating the value of proper research. :D In real life, I've become a fan of, and always try to build an atmosphere to have these priceless "I'll be damned" faces as often as possible on mine or anyone else's!

-Esa

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

New experience here, people:
a. from reading the forum(s) here, I now know of the rubber effect (I thought it was a typo, meaning actually, rudder...
b. When on the ground and testing the yoke and rudder pedals, I can see that when I move the yoke, the rudervators move also; I now assume that is intentional(?)
c. When flying, I have quite some yawing motion back and forth that subsides but seems to come back whenever I move the yoke; it is very annoying when landing and the a/c is yawing from left to right over the threshold...

If this is intentional, and real-world behaviour, what do I have to do in order to avoid the seesawing?
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Volker, I’m certain the “sway” you feel in the tail is a consequence of design. Passengers in the rear seat (in real life) get the worst of it. I flew the A2A Bonanza from Wichita, KS to Ameland in the Netherlands. By the time I reached Ameland I barely noticed the swaying tail.

On my system, it is not very pronounced, or I’ve simply learned to ignore the gentle sway and lightly correct more pronounced ones with a bit of rudder.

If it is really bad on your system, it could be a frame rate or performance issue, or the effect is accelerated by trying to cancel it with too much rudder?
Last edited by Jacques on 05 Nov 2020, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

vtracy wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 11:14 If this is intentional, and real-world behaviour, what do I have to do in order to avoid the seesawing?
I think it's the same process you would use to get to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice... :wink: :mrgreen:

Cheers & JK,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”