Crosswinds on takeoff, violent yaw

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Crosswinds on takeoff, violent yaw

Post by R-2800-59 »

Dear community,

on my last takeoff I had encountered some crosswinds. As soon as the plane left the ground it violently yawed to the left as If opposite rudder only now started to work or something similar.
I remember having encountered this behaviour before. What did I do wrong?

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Crosswinds on takeoff, violent yaw

Post by Ron Attwood »

Did you go to the hangar and 'Inspect the aircraft'? I'm the World's worst at checking out the condition before taking off and it sometimes throws a curved ball in the shape of a broken flap or something.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

You have much torque and almost no side stability. You need much rudder after lift off or better: rotate later. I usually rotate at around 95 knots, it helps a lot.

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

Thanks for your advice.

I always do a proper preflight but don't go into the maintenance hangar except for inspections and necessary maintenance.

The plane behaved normally for the remainder of the flight.
Strangest was that I didn't feel that torque when still on the ground, it only started at liftoff.

joediamond
Airman First Class

Post by joediamond »

The V35 has an aileron-rudder bungee connection in the flight controls. Crosswind takeoffs require a fair amount of opposite aileron to overcome the bungee input. without the aileron input you will get a rolling moment when you lift off in the same direction as your rudder input.

Chairman
Airman

Post by Chairman »

Well I'm glad I found this thread, it has answered one question and probably two.

I noticed last night that my rudder pedals were making my yoke roll - I don't normally have the yoke showing so that was a surprise and I spent a good hour trying to work out what the heck my rudder pedals were playing at. I never thought about a connection between the rudder and ailerons.

Also I started experiencing a huge lunge and roll to the right immediately after liftoff which is how I came to find this topic, I never did get to the bottom of that but reading this it occurs to me that I just installed ActiveSky and this morning was the first time I've ever not flown with default weather, I'm thinking I probably discovered crosswinds ...

Thanks !

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”