Starting tips

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
TatoBean
Airman First Class

Starting tips

Post by TatoBean »

So I have a higher time IO-520 and I cannot get this thing to start consistently. I either over or under prime the engine when it’s cold. A warm engine fires right up within 2 or 3 blades. But a cold engine just doesn’t wanna go. It will try to fire early in the sequence then it takes a solid 15 seconds to actually start. Which is obviously murder on the starter. Do any of you have tips or tricks to get the engine to start easier?
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Starting tips

Post by ClipperLuna »

Could you go through your start procedure? Tell us exactly what you do. Also, you say this is a higher-time engine. Does it have a worn fuel pump or anything like that? Is your fuel flow gauge reading true?

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

It helps a lot if you map the fuel pump switch to a controller button. You can do this in your sim controller menu. I've done this and now have no trouble starting either the Bonanza or Cessna 182. After fully opening throttle and mixture levers, I find the trick with the Bonanza is to hit the fuel pump switch I've mapped and the moment the fuel flow needle hits the green area on the gauge, switch it off again. Then, reduce throttle to about 1inch open and fire it up. My engine has about 1100 hours on it, but this technique should work for all.

Hope this helps,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

I usually follow the checklist pretty closely.

Battery & Alternator. On
Mixture. Rich
Throttle. Full open
Fuel pump. On until fuel pressure indicates then off
Throttle. Open 1/2 inch
Starter. Engage

My instruments are working, oil pressure sticks sometimes but everything is working pretty well.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Try shutting off the fuel pump soon as the fuel flow needle moves into the green arc. This seems to prime a cold engine just about right. I’m pretty sure you can experiment with the fuel pump on/off timing, then click “cold and dark” to try again.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 11 Jul 2020, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Here is my procedure:

Battery : On, Alternator on or off (to reduce load)
Mixture: Full Rich or altitude adjusted if above 5000
Throttle: Between 25 and 30% (it's difficult to tell what 1/2" means in the sim)
Fuel pump: On until 1st red line then off
Starter: Engage
Adjust idle rpm between 1100 and 1200rpm, then lean until it drops below 1100. It should give mixture setting just below 25%.

It gives me pretty consistent starts for quite a long time.

HTH

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I do it similarly to Jarek and have had consistently good results. Running the pump too long with the throttle open will flood it quickly so I always leave the throttle around 20%.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Don't forget to switch on your rotating beacon before cranking the engine. It's basic safety.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

I’ll try the lower throttle setting for priming and see how that does. Hopefully I can milk a little more time out of this starter, those little buggers are expensive.

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

Tried the throttle 1/3 open and run the pump for about 3 seconds still took probably 8-10 blades to start but I wouldn’t be surprised if my poor starter’s about had it. In the cruise back home after having a flap fail on me away from base. She’s due for an oil change so I’ll check it out when I do the oil.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”