Problems with fishtail in windy conditions

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
shivers9
Airman

Problems with fishtail in windy conditions

Post by shivers9 »

I have been spending a lot of time with the V tail lately and love flying it. I was wondering if anyone may have some suggestions on tamping down the nose movement in winds. I am using Ver 5 of P3d and have read all of the comments that I can find on the subject. I get it that the V tail is different but anything more than just a few KTs of wind say near 10 and the nose is all over the place. I am using active sky weather and have tried to even cut the wind and turb setting back to nothing. It does not seem to help. I must be missing something because the view out the front would make you puke! LOL I thought it must be my big fat feet on the rudders but the problem is the same when I switch to AP. (MFG V3 Rudders) Any one have a suggestion....Please?

Thanks
Sam

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Problems with fishtail in windy conditions

Post by DHenriques_ »

shivers9 wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 16:39 I have been spending a lot of time with the V tail lately and love flying it. I was wondering if anyone may have some suggestions on tamping down the nose movement in winds. I am using Ver 5 of P3d and have read all of the comments that I can find on the subject. I get it that the V tail is different but anything more than just a few KTs of wind say near 10 and the nose is all over the place. I am using active sky weather and have tried to even cut the wind and turb setting back to nothing. It does not seem to help. I must be missing something because the view out the front would make you puke! LOL I thought it must be my big fat feet on the rudders but the problem is the same when I switch to AP. (MFG V3 Rudders) Any one have a suggestion....Please?

Thanks
Sam
Having flown many many passengers in a Bo I can attest that the urge to puke, especially from the folks in the back seats is as Microsoft likes to say.........."As real as it gets". LOL
I remember when we did the flight model for the Bo we spent a lot of time getting this factor unique to the Bonanza right.
I just finished flying the Bo in P3Dv5 a few minutes ago. I didn't notice anything out of the normal in its handling. Seems about right to me on my system.

Dudley Henriques

shivers9
Airman

Post by shivers9 »

Thanks...I keep seeing posts like your answer but I I have searched for video of the V tail as well as reviews and I have not seen one where the nose is swinging back and forth 8 or 10 degrees constantly. Unless there is a FAA restriction that keeps this aircraft grounded in more than 5 or 6 kts of wind then we are not talking about the same thing.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

shivers9 wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 18:00 Thanks...I keep seeing posts like your answer but I I have searched for video of the V tail as well as reviews and I have not seen one where the nose is swinging back and forth 8 or 10 degrees constantly. Unless there is a FAA restriction that keeps this aircraft grounded in more than 5 or 6 kts of wind then we are not talking about the same thing.
It sounds like there is something wrong for sure. I'm only saying I can't replicate it on my system with my Bo install.
I'm sure someone will chime in and have some suggestions for you. Whatever it is has to be local since I can't replicate it here so hang in. It'll get solved.
DH

shivers9
Airman

Post by shivers9 »

Thanks. I will keep an eye out for a few days. I hate to admit defeat LOL!! I have tried everything I know of including throwing my checklist binder down on the desk and that did not help either! LOL

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Best cure: Get a Comanche.

I've got both of 'em, and while the Bonanza is a bit faster, the Comanche flies like it's on rails. Just be ready with the carb heat.

Seeya
ATB

shivers9
Airman

Post by shivers9 »

Paughco wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 21:49 Best cure: Get a Comanche.

I've got both of 'em, and while the Bonanza is a bit faster, the Comanche flies like it's on rails. Just be ready with the carb heat.

Seeya
ATB
Yep...I own the Comanche also and it is great to fly. I use the Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo set up and so far have not seen a good profile for them and the Comanche. I may go back to that plane though I do like the Auto Pilot and extra speed of the Bo.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Just to make sure, does it do it with ActiveSky off or only with it on? Does it do it in all phases of flight or just climb or just cruise, etc.?

I like them both, but I think I like the Comanche just a bit more. It feels weird transitioning between the two.

shivers9
Airman

Post by shivers9 »

ClipperLuna wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 12:35 Just to make sure, does it do it with ActiveSky off or only with it on? Does it do it in all phases of flight or just climb or just cruise, etc.?

I like them both, but I think I like the Comanche just a bit more. It feels weird transitioning between the two.
It is a problem with AS on or off. I have tried with turning AS setting turned down in both turb and wind settings. If I set custom weather to clear and zero winds then it’s like flying on a string….rock solid. If I add back in some custom wind then it just becomes a battle to control wings level and the nose back and forth. I get it that this plane is not happy with side wind but flying directly into a headwind same result. It is like I am flying in a heavy thunderstorm with no clouds and cruise or climb does not seem to make a difference. I have tried about everything I can think of including uninstall and reinstall. It is a strange thing to me.

shivers9
Airman

Post by shivers9 »

OK Guys and Girls...I think I have found the problem! I don't know how many times over the past few days that I have been into AS and messed around with the wind settings but today I discovered that under the wind options you find the option for Maximum Wind Shear which should default to 50% and somehow :roll: mine was at 100%. I suspect that somehow that may have been, thru the magic of 0s and 1s, stuck in memory and was causing the same effect when turning off AS and setting up weather thru the sim. Now I seem to have an airplane that is a bit unstable in the wind as it should be. Thanks to all that replied and I will gladly except the Dumb A--hole of the week award and put it on the shelf right by my home cockpit. LOL!

Wakner
Airman

Post by Wakner »

I think the lack of a vertical fin makes the V35 a little less stable in yaw ... there's a reasonable amount of fishtailing going on in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPETcW ... L&index=22

Some of his other videos of approaches to Nelson in similar conditions by aircraft with more traditional vertical stabilizers show a fair amount more stability.

And he has one with a Comanche although its not quite as windy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAxvdh8k20
Ads Kluczinsky

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Wakner wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 20:08 I think the lack of a vertical fin makes the V35 a little less stable in yaw ... there's a reasonable amount of fishtailing going on in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPETcW ... L&index=22

Some of his other videos of approaches to Nelson in similar conditions by aircraft with more traditional vertical stabilizers show a fair amount more stability.

And he has one with a Comanche although its not quite as windy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAxvdh8k20
The Bo is famous for this behavior. It shows up in cruise as a sort of dutch roll. I've had paying passengers on a charter complain. You notice it especially in the back seat. We carried sick sacks with us on charters (just in case. :-))))
D Henriques

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”