Wierd Behaviour in the V-Tail

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Neon
Technical Sergeant

Wierd Behaviour in the V-Tail

Post by Neon »

Not flown for quite some time. Broke out the Bonanza today, took off from Venice. Wierdly
ATC was taking planes off the same runway from both ends. lol So took off, less than 100 feet
off the ground the plane suddenly rolled upside down and dove into the dirt. Well that sucked.

So back on the ground, fixed everything in maintenance, and set off again. Everything was repair,
but during take off roll, the airspeed indicator wasn't working. I tried to reach for the pitot
heat, but since there was an airbus coming at me from the other end of the runway, I figured
I'd lift off n sort the airspeed out after. Flipped pitot heat on, make no difference. Circled back
to land, head to maintenance and there's nothing wrong with it. It's in perfect condition, including
all instruments. Wierd. Still don't know. I'll try again tomorrow.

Neon

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Wierd Behaviour in the V-Tail

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what was your default flight?

Given the issues mentioned in the flight, I wouldn't troubleshoot anything and simply restart the flight to get things settled back to normal as P3D shouldnt be firing tubeliners at you lol

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Neon,

Do you have ActiveSky installed? If so, simulated wake turbulence could explain the loss of control and crash.

And one potential explanation for the loss of airspeed indication is simply forgetting the pitot cover if you selected "cold and dark" at some point.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

default flight is the FSX default flight, the hang glider thingy.

I do have Active sky, so that explains the roll over, didn't know about wake turbelnce was simulated. Cool. Never seen ATC
screw up that bad, though. 50% of planes being told to take 22L and 50% taking 4R (same runway) lol

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Neon wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 00:30 default flight is the FSX default flight, the hang glider thingy.

I do have Active sky, so that explains the roll over, didn't know about wake turbelnce was simulated. Cool. Never seen ATC
screw up that bad, though. 50% of planes being told to take 22L and 50% taking 4R (same runway) lol
The sim recognizes wind direction and assigns the runway based on the direction of the moment it answers to a taxi request. So if there are turbulences injected by addon weather engines the runway is 04 now and 22 the second after. I think there is a setting to suppress that behaviour on the ground.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Now, the airspeed is fixed, but even though auto rudder is off and realism is maxed out, the plane still has auto rudder.
Roll the aileron, and the rudders go, same with Rudder pedals, make the ailerons go. I've deleted the dat files and
all bak files in the a2a/fsx folder, checked an rechecked the realism settings but still it persists.

Got me stumped. Makes me wonder why we do this. I set out 24 hours ago to go for a flight, and a day later, I still
havn't managed to do it. There's always something with FSX. lol Anyone know how to fix this?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Neon.
On the v tail the Ailerons and Rudder are connected via a bungee , if the auto rudder is unchecked in FSX settings , then that is all you need to do.
regards alan. 8)

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Hmmm that sucks. I can see why it's done to aid getting out of clouds in vfr, but it makes landing in cross winds difficult. Looking this up,
it seems a lot of pilots have this disconnected. Would there be any chance to have an option in mini control panel to disable it? I love
doing aerobatics and auto rudder really spoils that in the Bonanza (my fav single engine plane).

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

IRL, you just fly the plane and you apply the ailerons and rudder pedals as you normally would. The fact that they are interconnected makes no difference in handling unless you happen to be trying to land with your feet off the pedals. I've flown Bonanzas with this system in place and really did not notice it at all except when I was in cruise and took my feet off the pedals.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”