Autopilot In P3D v4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Autopilot In P3D v4

Post by GaryRR »

I seem to have a lot more trouble with the Autopilot in the P3D v4 version. I engage altitude hold and it immediatly climbs or dives. My aircraft is up to date. I don't even use the alerter. I climb or descend by elevator trim control and trim level and the click altitude hold. But always there is the climb or dive antics when I initially engage altitude hold. Any advice?

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Autopilot In P3D v4

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Garry,

Please can you let us know the full sequence of buttons you're pressing when you engage the autopilot into alt hold mode? Just because if you're literally just clicking the 'alt' button as mentioned, the autopilot itself won't be engaged, just the flight director.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I click my yoke button mapped to ap master, then I click FD. Then I level off a click ALT, NAV or HD as needed. If the AP light isn't lit I click the switch on the right. I usually just disengage ALT manually and change altitude with the ap trime switch or with my controller trim map and then level and reengage alt when needed.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Gary - this button sequence my explain why the AP isn't functioning as expected. You can't engage the AP unless the FD is already activated, so the correct sequence would be to press ALT (which will also engage the FD) and then hit your AP master button. Alternatively, you could hit the FD button first, then AP master and then ALT.

If in any doubt, try clicking the switches on the panel instead of using your yoke shortcut. You'll see that you physically can't engage the AP switch unless the FD is already active.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I will try to test fly her later today. 0215 here at work.

Thanks

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

GaryRR wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 01:16 I will try to test fly her later today. 0215 here at work.

Thanks
I have the Bo's AP down now. Pressing FD first is what I was not doing. Works fine. O level off, FD, ALT, Master. No dive or climb. I can then free climb using the AP trim rocker to any flight level I need.
Thanks for clearing it up for. V-tail is excellent. My go to GA.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”