Bonanza ILS ballerina

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Heronjr
Airman First Class

Bonanza ILS ballerina

Post by Heronjr »

I’ve made some 10 flights with my new P3Dv5 Bonanza, F1-GTN750 equipped, testing the autopilot features and precision and non-precision approaches. She made perfect RNAV approaches, but horrible ILS approaches. As soon the localizer is intercepted, even from a 30 degrees angle, the plane fails to fly the LOC direction, making left and right turns without fixing the runway direction. I am using the same procedures used in other GA’s with successful results. I am quite experienced with the GTN750.

Ideas?
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3
Intel Core i7 10700KF, 3.80GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU RTX 3060 12GB w/2 Monitors

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Bonanza ILS ballerina

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Heron,

A few quick questions. Firstly, roughly what distance are you from the threshold when you begin to intercept the ILS? And, secondly, are you injecting any real world weather via ActiveSky or similar when flying these approaches? Finally, are you seeing reasonably high and stable FPS in the sim? (i.e. at least 18.)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Hi Nick,
I tried two ILS approaches, both with actual Navdata charts, following the charts' waypoints, using the GTN750. The airports are MYNN-Nassau ILS14, Bahamas, and KHLN-Helena, MO ILSZ-27. For the distances just consult the charts, but I guess the exact procedures follow best practices.

For weather I always use ActiveSky for P3D. In both cases, winds were from calm to less than 8 kts. I don't have A2A AccuSim for P3D.

My rig gives me a comfortable range from 30 to 60 fps, using GA's.

I cannot remember having this kind of bad approach with a GA in the last years. I've read some posts here and the Bo's Manual Autopilot chapter, so I will try some more ILS approaches today. There is something quite different with this autopilot I've read about setting the HDG bug to the ILS heading.

I'll keep in touch.
Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Good day Nick,
After some more flights I have to recognize that I did not respect the Bo speed limits on maneuvering her into the ILS approaches. Using lower speeds than 134kt Bo could make many ILS approaches without dancing.

Sorry Nick about the false alarm.
Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aha! Thanks for the update Heron and glad to hear the ILS approaches are going more smoothly now.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”