Upgrading FS2004 P51 to FSX P51?

The premier US WWII Fighter
DocLotus
Airman First Class

Upgrading FS2004 P51 to FSX P51?

Post by DocLotus »

Hi;

I have the FS2004 version of the P-51 Mustang which I am running in FSX as I no longer use FS2004.

It flies OK but there are some things that are missing under FSX such as...
* The images for the airframe under aircraft selection are blank.
* Whenever an update is available it is a pain to install as the aircraft folder locations for FS2004 and FSX are different..

My question is... can I "trade her in" for an FSX version? How do I go about that?

Thanks;
Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Upgrading FS2004 P51 to FSX P51?

Post by Skycat »

You have a couple of options here...

1. Keep the current version for now and save your money for the upcoming AccuSim P-51D.
It will be worth the wait. And as far as the FS2004 P-51D/H pack, there won't be any more updates for it because A2A has long abandoned the FS2004 platform.

Adding screenshots to the FSX main menu is very easy; just make a screen capture or download a screenshot that represents the paint scheme you want to appear in the menu--be sure it is a JPEG file--and rename it to "Thumbnail" then put it in the repaint's subfolder inside the aircraft's folder in SimObjects/Airplanes. Many of the user-made repaints even come with a small screenshot or two when you download the file which makes adding a picture very easy.

2. Buy the Wings of Power II P-51D "Solo" download.
Here is the product page. You only get one paint scheme however. You can install the Wings of Power II version and still keep all your Wings of Power models as well. Next, install the FSX update patch for the WoP2 version.

After I downloaded some custom repaints for the WoP2 model I decided I didn't need the original WoP P-51D in FSX anymore so I added the 2D panels I liked from the original model into the WoP2 model and then deleted the older P-51D.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Hi Skycat;

Thanks for the reply.

I use Addit! Pro (one great program) to manage all my aircraft and have added several airframes and panels for many aircraft.

One of the problems that I have encountered is the FS2004 P-51 has so many different paint schemes that it is a real pain in the u-know-what to find and add all the correct paint textures and schemes.

Another problem is I also have the boxed version of the wonderful WOP WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets which has 10 different aircraft so the problem of missing images in FSX is similar to the FS2004 P-51 version except times 10. I have had a few problems finding all the images for each aircraft.

The AccuSim P-51D sounds wonderful but is just too expensive for my taste for just basically one airframe. I may buy the AccuSim Piper Cub just to see what all the fuss is about.

What I was hoping for was a way to get the FSX version of the P-51 with all airframes and textures similar to the 2004 version. Paying for essentially the same aircraft all over again kind of turns me off. It reminds me of parking my car (the P-51) in a new garage (FSX) but having to buy the same car (P-51) all over again.

I would be willing to pay a small 'upgrade' charge to upgrade the Mustang to the fully FSX version.

Any ideas?

Thanks again;
Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

There isn't an FSX version of the P-51D/H pack.

The "Solo" P-51D model is the Wings of Power II overhaul which was initially released as part of the "WWII Fighters Special Edition" CD but later sold piecemeal as an individual download. The WWII Fighters CD only gave you one paint scheme for each of the five aircraft offered. The WoP2 models were actually built for FS2004 but the CD allowed the user to also install ported versions into the original release of FSX. The FSX SP1 and SP2/Acceleration patches released afterwards caused some visual glitches however, so last year an FSX update patch was released for the WoP2 P-51D, P-47D, Spitfire and Bf109E.

As you have found, the P-51D/H pack is still flyable in FSX. However, the old textures don't work very well on the new model (perhaps not at all? I'm not sure about this) so the simplest solution if you want all those schemes is to keep the old models and add the screenshots for the menu. I made my own screenshots for the 'H' model and I could probably whip up a nice set for the P-51D for you and maybe Heavy Bombers & Jets as well...

Regarding HB&J, it takes a lot of work to port those planes over by hand and from what I understand they have a few anamolies in the current version of FSX anyhow. There are threads on this. An "FSX ready" re-release of HB&J titled "Aircraft Power Pack" was available several years ago when FSX was new (and it came with the SOLO P-51D as a bonus!) but the FSX SP1 and SP2/Acceleration will cause compatibility problems. Still, if you can find Aircraft Power Pack for cheap on Amazon or such, it might be worth your money. The APP version came with some extra skins and it corrected the size of the B-17 pilots, plus it installs the menu screenshots into FSX.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

FANTASTIC news!!!

Amazon does have (only three left) of "Aircraft Power Pack II" for $29.95. I just bought one.

This will resolve my problem very nicely at less cost. The latest updates from A2A should get me back in the air with these wonderful aircraft.

Now if only there was a "WoP WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets II" for FSX I would be in hog heaven.

Thanks again, you have been MOST helpful.

Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

"Aircraft Power Pack II" is a re-release of "WWII Fighters Special Edition" plus it gives you one of the P-40s. That's a pretty good deal in of itself but it isn't "Heavy Bombers & Jets." The original APP had the bombers and jets.

I made you some thumbnails for every P-51 in the D/H pack and for all of the models and schemes in the FS2004 Heavy Bombers & Jets collection. Unfortunately the zip files are too big to attach here. PM me with an e-mail address if you want them.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

E-mail sent.

I was wondering about the difference between the "WoP WWII Fighters Special Edition" and "Aircraft Power Pack II". As you pointed out, with the exception of the P-40 Warhawk, they seem to be the same.

I noticed that WoP WWII FSE says on the back of the box "For Microsoft Flight Sim 2004" but on the front of the box there is a sticker saying "Microsoft FSX Compatible. I assume that means all the aircraft are for FS2004 but there is a dual installer and the files are loaded into the correct folder under FSX otherwise it is a FS2004 edition?

Have the aircraft in the "Aircraft Power Pack II" been "tweaked" for FSX? Are there any different paint schemes between it and "WoP WWII Fighters Special Edition".

One more thing...
THANKS again all you wonderful help.

Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Yes, as I said earlier the "WWII Fighters Special Edition" CD aircraft models were built around FS2004 technology but the product was released at about the same time as FSX so all five of the planes are also installable into FSX. Unfortunately, the upgrades to FSX itself caused some visual glitches. A2A Simulations waited until they were absolutley sure that Microsoft wouldn't release another Service Pack, then tackled the compatibility issues for four of those aircraft: The P-47D, the P-51D, the Spitfire Mk. IA and the Bf109E. (The Japanese A6M couldn't be further updated because the original model couldn't be recompiled to be made FSX native.) You can find the FSX update patches in each model's individual forum in the "For FSX" are of the Board Index. Look at the stickied topics at the top of each plane's forum.

The P-40 was built exclusively for FSX. The version that comes on APP2 is an early version, made available for the DVD before the downloadable multi-pack was completed I believe. I don't know how the DVD version compares to the downloadable version.

The Aircraft Power Pack II also comes with an arcadish Battle of Britain-inspired arcade game called Air Defender. I don't know anything about that either, as I do not have APP2.

I see your PM, I'll send you the thumbs later tonight. I have to head out of the house now. :arrow:
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Thanks, Skycat.

Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

E-mail is now sent.

When you get your Aircraft Power Pack II DVD, don't forget to install the WWII Fighters 1.2 patch before you install the four FSX update patches.

Finally, the FSX update patch for the P-47D improves the WoP2/WWII Fighters/SOLO Thunderbolt model but the WoP3 Thunderbolt with AccuSim is in a class all by itself. :) You really have to experience it to understand how far the bar was raised for Warbird models in MSFS. The same goes for the AccuSim B-17G; the HB&J version and even the later WoP2 version (pre-AccuSim) are boring in comparison.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Will do, and again, thanks so much for all you help.

Doc

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Got them, all look GREAT.

Thanks;
Doc

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Hi Skycat;

Just installed all the thumbnails you sent me, what a difference.

I use Addit! Pro to manage all my FSX aircraft; it shows not only an image for each airframe but also an image for each panel. I have been having some problems locating good JPEG’s for some panels and was wondering if you have them for the same aircraft that you sent me airframe JPEG’s for?

I am also wondering why A2A does not seem to supply images for any panel including the brand new Piper J3 Cub Accusim that I just bought?

Thanks;
Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'd say it is because most people don't use Addit!Pro. The default FSX menu can only show one screenshot for each variant in your library, although there is a tiny inset picture-in-picture of a GPS panel for the three G1000 "glass cockpit" aircraft in FSX Deluxe.

But I do see what Addit! does for you. Interesting concept.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Addit! Pro has been around for many years and is under constant improvement.

It allows me to very easily change the names of aircraft such as adding "North American" to the front of "P-51D Mustang". This way all my Mustangs are listed in FSX under only one location... "North American".

Or... I can add a new category such as "Fighters" so all my fighters show up in FSX as "Fighters".

It allows me to also change file locations or quickly add images to many similar aircraft at the same time, etc.

It also shows problem areas with suggestions as to how to automatically fix them. It will show aircraft duplicates and other areas of concern.

In general it is a really great aircraft manager.

Doc

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”