bob2w
Airman

Windows 10 Solution for the CTD issue for BOB2WOV

Post by bob2w »

Greetings Fellow Bob2WoV players

I have been for the last week or so, been dealing with the
intermittent crash to desktop issue whilst running the sim in windows 10

Solution:-

-Click on Options menu click on More GFX, then set the GroundObjectDensity to medium
then quit the game.
-Under the Bob2 folder open up the bdg.txt file
-change this setting:- LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048
to:- LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 128
-Start the game.

Just a note, if you change the GroundObjectDensity again in the More GFX menu and start the flying session
It will change the LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE back to 2048 in the bdg.txt file.
So you will have to change it again to 128.

this should at least point people in the right direction for further experimentation.

other settings:-
-On shortcut properties Compatibililty set to windows98 / windows me
or Windowsxp2
-Tick check box run this program as an administrator

Eisenfaust
Airman

Re: Windows 10 Solution for the CTD issue for BOB2WOV

Post by Eisenfaust »

Tried it - hopped in a Ju 88 and watched an airial battle over lodnon - lots of planes over the most chellinging terrein. The game did not crash by itself - great! But on Alt-X I was back to desktop, though without the English Text error. But You are propably onto something! With more time, I'll test more :)

bob2w
Airman

Post by bob2w »

Hi Eisenfaust,

You won't be able to get rid of the CTD completely, but you may reduce the issue from happening
Found that this won't make a difference :-LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE, as at somepoint it will default back to 2048 within the bdg.txt file

I have some other suggestions which made a difference I posted here:-
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 17&t=66030

Bob2w

McMick
Technical Sergeant

Post by McMick »

I don't suppose there's any chance BoB2 would ever be open-source, would there? Maybe then some fresh, eager, bright-eyed idealistic young coders could take a crack at fixing it.
Intel z170, i5-6600K, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR4-2666, Win10 x64, TIR3+6DoF, MS SW FFB2, Viewsonic 22" LCD 60Hz 1080p

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Just a note, if you change the GroundObjectDensity again in the More GFX menu and start the flying session
It will change the LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE back to 2048 in the bdg.txt file.
So you will have to change it again to 128.
Make the changes manually in the bdg file. Right click on the bdg.txt file after saving your changes, to bring up the properties window, then tick the read only box at the the bottom. This should hopefully prevent the game from changing it.

agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

Post by agathosdaimon »

hi! i am getting a ctd right upon trying to load a flight - i hit fly and the cliffs of dover loading screen happens and then after the loading bar finishes the game just CTD i dont know what to do - i have tuned down graphics settings and have it on compat setting winxp sp3 (otherwise text in the INstant action screen is absent and the game CTDs abruptly thereafter)

is there anyone familiar with this issue who might have a possible solution?

if 2.13 is not good for me, is there the 2.00 version somewhere available as i read someone had luck with it more than 2.13

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi agathosdaimon, as I read some posts from you about BOB1 I think this bug is happening cause you are using BOB2 with BOB1 installed on your pc.

Since both games use the same registry files at the following directory in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432NODE / ROWAN SOFTWARE

So you will have to delete BOB1 registry first to play BOB2 or it will try using BOB1 registry files and will crash, so if you installed BOB1 you will have to install a clean bob2 game to restore the registry (ps BOB1 will stop working after all these procedures since it will now use bob 2 registry). Then reboot your pc and install the patch of your choice, but on windows 10 only patch 2.01 will work using windows xp compatibility mode:

You can download patch 2.01 here:

https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... tch-2-01-6
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

Post by agathosdaimon »

Hi Felizpe, yes i think you are right that the registry entry issue was causing this for BOB2 - unfortunately i installed both games not knowing until now about this issue and am a bit confused on how to undo it but also i am not sure i am still being afflicted by it, i dont know its become a bit strange, because:

the history is that i have BOB2 first on my windows 10 , just the 2.00 version and now i recall that when i installed it a few years back i check it at the time and it worked fine enough then; recently i got a dvd case copy of BOB1 because well, i like old games and physical collections - so i installed that (and i will come to the issues i am having with BOB1 further below) and then went just ran BOB2 again as i wanted to try the 2.13 bdg update - and that is when i found the game to be CTD'ing if i tried to fly anything

i uninstall then BOB2 and reinstalled it without the 2.13 and amazingly it is now working fine as it was back years ago, and this for me is fine enough for now. I still though had BOB1 installed all this time so i am not sure what to make of it,

as things are now - BOB2 2.00 version is working for me, but BOB1 has an issue where the loading screen (the cliffs of dover image) just hangs around the screen obscuring much of the view in game - unplayable - i dont feel that this BOB1 issue though is registry related

my workaround for teh BOB1 issue is either i can play the game in windowed mode, which makes teh viewing area much smaller and the mouse moves outside the game window, so i have to be careful there...or my other way i have found now is that if i start the mission and then hit f12 or the windows key, then ithe game goes to the settings menus, and if i go back into the game and quickly use mouse to dragging the loading screen window over to the far left, i can put it out of view - this only has teh issue of slightly obscuring some radio message text but that is fine. one thing though with this method is that a new loading screen comes up every time i start a mission or go to settings during flight, which means there becomes an accumulation of these loading windows that i have keep moving out of view and they hang around on the side until i exit the game completely.

i am hesitant now to uninstall BOB1 though because i know doing so will make BOB2 not work due to the registry entry going missing which BOB2 will flag, and also i dont think it will fix the bob1 issue and i dont see how a registry entry would have anything to do with a lingering loading screen as the game does otherwise work and go to the 3d flight section behind it

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

BOB1 video bug is not related to BOB2 registry it's just video incompatibility on modern systems, I have windows 8.1 and I also have this same black screen bug after loading screen and when I use FORCE_WINDOWED_MODE=ON it also has black borders, maybe windows xp and 7 can handle it... I also would like to be able to control the Stick using Mouse but I think it's not possible on Rowans BOB1... Well, at least BOB2 is working for you now :D

mikelimtw
Airman Basic

Post by mikelimtw »

I found a mod that may fix the CTD issue under Windows 10. I haven't tried it yet, but this user on the MODDB community has been continuously updating his patch since September 2019.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/bob2-windows ... -10-patch1

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

You see that user who posted immediately above your post - Felizpe? He's the author of the patch.

details here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68917

Unfortunately, for now, this gets you a working BoB2 on win10, with most of the
BDG graphic improvements, but without any of the programming repairs - it is
basically running exe v2.01 from 2005, so none of Buddye's fantastic work on
the AI and relentless work at bugsquashing. Still, it is an immense improvement
over not being able to save a campaign in win10, assuming you could get it to
run at all, which seems to be completely random depending on hardware, for v2.13.

mikelimtw
Airman Basic

Post by mikelimtw »

Felizpe wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 13:26 BOB1 video bug is not related to BOB2 registry it's just video incompatibility on modern systems, I have windows 8.1 and I also have this same black screen bug after loading screen and when I use FORCE_WINDOWED_MODE=ON it also has black borders, maybe windows xp and 7 can handle it... I also would like to be able to control the Stick using Mouse but I think it's not possible on Rowans BOB1... Well, at least BOB2 is working for you now :D
Great work on your patch. Any plans to support the latest 2.13 executable to get access to many of the fixes and improvements?

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi mikelimtw, thanks for the message unfortunately I have no coding skills to work over 2.13 executable, even if I had acess to the source code I couldn't be able to fix the problem cause it's an incompatible code between million code lines inserted over 2.02 patch that bugged the whole game on modern systems.

Hi PV, thanks for the reporting about Campaign Save Game function not working in Windows 10. As it saves perfectly in my Windows 8.1 and I never saw this bug report from Win10 users I will ask for more reports on my Windows 10 Patch topic to see if more users are having this same issue and try to fix that ;)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

The not being able to save campaigns is the main problem with v2.13 in win10, for those
who are able to run 2.13 in win10 at all, which is, as I said, seemingly randomly based on
what hardware you are trying to run. None of this was in reference to your mod in win10, as
I don't have win10 (or win8), so I have no experience with it. I'm just summarizing the reports
we got here for win10 users with 2.13. What would happen is the program would crash upon
exit from the 3D, and thus prior to saving the campaign, including the results of the 3D
episode.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks PV I understand now, the Campaign Save problem is due win10 users are not able to exit mission pressing Alt + X so they can't save or continue campaign. I think this bug doesn't happen using 2.01 patch remapping Exit Key but I'm also not sure cause I'm a Windows 8.1 user. Well, I think bug reports are not needed anymore :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”