Additional paint schemes and Single Player Campaign

new reply
AngryScotty22
Airman Basic

Additional paint schemes and Single Player Campaign

Post by AngryScotty22 »

I have recently got this old game working on Windows 10

However I am having some problems/issues

1. How do I access the Single Pilot Campaign. I followed the instructions in the manual but I wasn't successful. How do I access the Single Pilot Campaign in the Windows 10 patch.

2. Is there a way to get multiple skins for different squadrons. At the moment there are default skins that do not match the squadron. Is there a way to change this and have accurate skins and codes? Or is that a separate patch/file?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

33lima3
Senior Airman

Re: Additional paint schemes and Single Player Campaign

Post by 33lima3 »

Hi!

I'm playing the final BDG 2.13 version in Windows 7 (and could play it in Win 10, but with intermittent CTDs, often when exiting a mission, a problem I don't think anyone has yet solved) so can't say much about the Win 10 patch version. But I believe it does not support Multiskin, which is what gives squadrons their proper codes or markings. And which was built into 2.13

I haven't yet tried the Single Pilot Campaign, so can't help there. I believe it doesn't come with the purchase version but was added by one of the BDG updates, so it has a different creation process to the standard campaign which will be different to the one described in the stock manual.

This is what the BDG manual says about creating an SPC, cut & pasted from the BDG manual for 2.13, which is basically an expanded version of the stock manual. Sorry the pics in this extract didn't paste! Hope this helps!

Part 2: Single Pilot Campaign (SPC) Tutorial
The SPC allows the player to fly the campaign rather than command the campaign. In the SPC, the emphasis is on flying and fighting, not command.
To start the SPC, click Campaigns in the main game menu. This opens the side selection dialog.
For the tutorial click RAF, to open the campaign's main dialog.

[Battle of Britain II 2.13 Game Manual
54]

We'll actually pass through this dialog twice as we set up the SPC. For now you can ignore the campaign period selection at the top of the screen. Click Begin at the bottom of the dialog.
Click the word “commander”, highlighted here in blue, to open the campaign type selection dialog. This is the only place to set the SPC campaign flag.
The Campaign Type Selection dialog is the only place to change the campaign type. Click “Pilot” to set the SPC. This will return you to the campaign's main dialog.

CAMPAIGN TUTORIALS

[55]
Now select the campaign period from the top bar of the dialog. For this tutorial, click on Eagle Attack, then click Begin (bottom of dialog).
The Favourite Units dialog allows you to choose which situations will result in a prompt asking if you want to fly a particular mission. I'll describe these options here, but they can be changed at any time once the campaign starts.
Favourite Units really only applies to the top three pull-downs. Here we see the RAF SPC headings, allowing you to decide which Group you want to fly with, the aircraft type you want to fly, and the squadron. None of these are mandatory. For example, if you leave the default settings, then any time an RAF squadron scrambles, you will be offered the opportunity to fly that mission with them. I don't recommend such broad parameters, as you will get non-stop prompts when LW raids are inbound.

If you want to experience the BoB from a pilot's perspective, I recommend selecting a single squadron to fly with, at least at the start of the campaign. Many players prefer to fly with the same squadron throughout a campaign.
Below the pull downs are a double listing of check boxes. These are event triggers for the SPC flight prompts that tend to expand or limit the situations that will trigger the prompts.
For example, this is the default dialog setup and will result in flight prompts any time your unit takes off, reaches the coast, begins a small engagement, begins a large engagement, takes losses, attacks a ground target (bombing or strafing), or is landing.

These can be tweaked so that flight prompts occur only when you want them to. If you want to be offered the chance to fly only when your squadron takes off, then you basically get to fly every mission from start to finish with that squadron. If you select only Small Engagement and Large Engagement, your squadron will take off and land without you, but you'll have the option to jump into 3D flight every time the squadron begins a fight.

[Battle of Britain II 2.13 Game Manual
56]

Finally, the flashing cursor after the name “Bob” allows you to change your pilot name.
Leave the default settings as they are for now, because there is another place to set them once the SPC starts. Click Begin to complete the setup and initialize the campaign.
Now you should see the campaign map and toolbars. Detailed descriptions of campaign functionality can be found in the Commander Campaign sections (RAF in Section B, LW in Section C) of this chapter.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”