WW2 Airfields for Fs2004?

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
Uly5
Airman

WW2 Airfields for Fs2004?

Post by Uly5 »

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for WW2 airfields to land my p47 Thunderbolt at....especially Grass air strips to replicate a real WW2 Takeoff and Landing.

Uly

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: WW2 Airfields for Fs2004?

Post by Skycat »

I have a bunch in my archive that I downloaded from somewhere several years ago. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where I got them; maybe the links have completely disappeared. All I can tell you is that they are WWII bases in the UK, and that most of them were created by Cees Donker or Ian Elliot.

If you really want a grass strip WWII base, the RealAir Spitfire package for FS9 comes with an RAF West Malling scenery that includes AI traffic. See here for details and screenshots.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Top of the page, I don't know what the quality is like.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Uly5
Airman

Post by Uly5 »

ok I downloaded the airfield you mentioned in your 2nd post...It's actually pretty good. It also has some ai too.

I tested a takeoff...I didn't adjust any weights or fuel... I ran through the trees and houses at the end of the runway on my 1st attempt. 2nd attempt with 40% flaps it just took off before the end of the runway skimming the trees.

Landing the p-47, it just kept rolling into the trees at the end of the airfield.

The runway is 1100 meters ( 3608 feet )...it guess it's too short then?

Uly

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I assume that you're using the single model 'razorback' instead of one of the bubble canopied models from the Thunderbolt pack? As I recall, that version is based on the P-47D-22 or D-23 variant, basically the end of the razorback production. I'm looking at the vintage Take Off, Climb and Landing Chart for the R-2800-21 series engines; I'll use the data for the lowest gross weight on the chart: 12,500 lbs.

Assuming that your sod/turf airfield is at around 3,000 feet above sea level, that you're taking off at the recommended setting of 2700 RPM with 52" Hg, and that you have no head wind, you'd need 3200 feet to clear a 50' obstacle. That distance increases to 3400 feet for a 'soft surface runway' (all other variables the same), and 3500 feet if your aircraft is 14,000 lbs on a sod/turf airfield. The distance generally increases for heavier weight, softer runways and higher altitude but decreases if there is a headwind. A 15,000 lb. aircraft on a sod/turf airfield at 3,000 feet above sea level needs 4000 feet to clear a 50' object if there is no headwind; I'm guessing this is pretty close to the conditions you have set up within Flight Simulator if you are using the default fuel and weight loadout.

For landings, the chart only gives landing values for a 13,500 lb. aircraft but really only the most extreme conditions--wet and slippery airfields--exceed the distance provided by your airfield. All other values are 3000 feet or less, usually under 2000 feet. You may be coming in too fast; are you using flaps and flaring for a three-point landing?

You may also be experiencing the inherent limitations of the FS2004 physics modelling. FSX improved on this, and the WoP3 P-47D is much easier to land than the FS2004 versions because of this in my opinion.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Uly5
Airman

Post by Uly5 »

Ok I'm definately doing something wrong here?

*My Turbo RPM will not go over 7500 rpm
*My Turbo overspeed is blinking
*I can't get over 200 mph, even at level flight

I am using the p-47D 30 from the Thunderbolt pack.

Any idea's?

Uly

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Turbo supercharger is not actually modelled. The turbo RPM guage and light is largely decorative; the needle simply increases with altitude as I recall, simulating the pilot having to steadily increase turbo to maintain a constant manifold pressure. If you climb to about 30,000 feet you'll eventually see the turbo supercharger needle go past the redline and the yellow light will glow steady...but no worries because you can't actually damage the turbo system.

Your problem is probably related to how the fuel mixture is modelled. The FS2004 model's VC throttle quadrant does not have working Auto Lean/Auto Rich/Full Rich settings so I believe you have to rely on Microsoft's default automixture feature. Make sure that automixture is enabled (checkmarked) in the Realism Settings menu. I don't have the Thunderbolts pack installed right now but I'll do that now to confirm this is what you need to do.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I just want to add that the default loadout of bombs, ammo, full droptank and 100% internal fuel in the P-47D-30 makes it about 16,800 lbs. while the max gross for the plane is 17,500. Getting such heavily-laden Thunderbolts was a challenge for WWII combat pilots as well, often requiring the use of water injection. As the humorous posting at the 373rd FG operations room advised, the "Rules For Takeoff" were:

1. Line up on the runway with the canopy open.
2. Stand on the brakes.
3. Pull the stick all the way back.
4. Push the throttle, mixture, prop control, and turbo to the fire wall.
5. When the tail comes off the ground, ease off the brakes and push the stick forward so you are moving with the tail in the air.
6. With one hand on the throttle quadrant,
7. With one hand on the bomb release,
8. With one hand on the wheel retract handle,
9. With one hand on the cowl flap closer handle,
10. With one hand on the elevator trim wheel,
11. With one hand on the safety belt release,
12. With one hand on the water injection button,
13. With one hand, cross yourself.
14. When you reach the end of the runway, ease the stick back and retract the wheels.

Anyhow, you may want to turn on the water injection button on the electrical panel. That will enable the water injection when the throttle lever is all the way forward, thus giving you a little more power.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Uly5
Airman

Post by Uly5 »

ok I have done some practice....

*With the Automixture checked
*Water injection on
*Flaps down 1 notch
*Throttle all the way forward

I can just take off :-)

What makes it worse is there is an embakment at the end of the runway which forces me to pull up harder on takeoff.

Landing... I am still just rolling past the end of the airfield, but I noticed that I am touching down at 130 mph instead of 110 mph? If I go slower I seem to drop too much and perform a bouncing landing.

That post 373rd Fg operations room is a classic :lol:

Thanks for the help...I have learn't alot :D

Update****

I just tried the P-47 M at the same airfield with default weight and fuel and had no problem taking off :D

I guess it just makes it very hard to take off at near capacity weight in a p-47D.

I might stick with the p-47m for awhile and learn to fly it properly...also all the repaints work on the M version that I have on the D version aswell, which is a bonus 8)

Still have to work on my landings tho :oops:

Uly

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”